• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic Con Cancelled
1 1

26 posts in this topic

If, in mid-April we, as the general public aren't able to stand within 6 ft of each other and couldn't gather where groups of 20-50 were considered large, logic would say, SDCC was not going to happen.  We can't even go out to eat dinner as a family in public let alone with friends.  Imagine 50,000... 100,000... 150,000 + people getting together at a sporting event, concert or convention.

The remedy for the virus won't be a light switch that automatically opens back up to "business as usual" come that one day you're able to dine in a restaurant.

They say, the last places to be allowed to operate will be the big events like Comic Con, sporting events, concerts, amusement parks and movie theaters.  So, it's a long way coming.

We've not even seen the worst the virus has to offer yet.  It's not even pinnacled.  There is no cure, no vaccine, not pinpointed cause, no true protection.

Comic Con is one of the worst environments as well, the crowds to line up to get in, the waiting for Hall H, the exhibit hall is hard to navigate as well without bumping into people.  Comic/Pop Culture fans also have a bad hygiene stigma of being sloppy and unkempt.  It's a recipe for disaster to hold the event.

On the positive side, I do think that exhibitors can salvage their annual payday at SDCC by going online.  Exclusives can still be sold.  Artist's Alley creators can do at home commissions as well as private signings.  The studios can make their presentations to hype up their releases online.  Comic book dealers can sell online.  There are options, maybe not the best nor driver of impulse and excitement, but transactions and communication can still be made, maybe even more so and better online to the entire world as well rather than limited to attendees.  The only thing missing is the social interaction, the human experience (getting autographs, seeing stars, etc.)  Cosplayers can still dress up at home or post videos.   Gamers can still play games online

I hope the comic community thinks smart and innovative to keep their businesses relevant and profitable.  .  

Depending on organization and method, I think a virtual comic con is a grand thought.

Given that they’ve been happening in a disorganized way every year, since the beginning of the internet, a genuine organized version would be fascinating.

2 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

The remedy for the virus won't be a light switch that automatically opens back up to "business as usual" come that one day you're able to dine in a restaurant.

(thumbsu

13 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

If, in mid-April we, as the general public aren't able to stand within 6 ft of each other and couldn't gather where groups of 20-50 were considered large, logic would say, SDCC was not going to happen.  We can't even go out to eat dinner as a family in public let alone with friends.  Imagine 50,000... 100,000... 150,000 + people getting together at a sporting event, concert or convention.

They say, the last places to be allowed to operate will be the big events like Comic Con, sporting events, concerts, amusement parks and movie theaters.  So, it's a long way coming.

We've not even seen the worst the virus has to offer yet.  It's not even pinnacled.  There is no cure, no vaccine, not pinpointed cause, no true protection.

Comic Con is one of the worst environments as well, the crowds to line up to get in, the waiting for Hall H, the exhibit hall is hard to navigate as well without bumping into people.  Comic/Pop Culture fans also have a bad hygiene stigma of being sloppy and unkempt.  It's a recipe for disaster to hold the event.

On the positive side, I do think that exhibitors can salvage their annual payday at SDCC by going online.  Exclusives can still be sold.  Artist's Alley creators can do at home commissions as well as private signings.  The studios can make their presentations to hype up their releases online.  Comic book dealers can sell online.  There are options, maybe not the best nor driver of impulse and excitement, but transactions and communication can still be made, maybe even more so and better online to the entire world as well rather than limited to attendees.  The only thing missing is the social interaction, the human experience (getting autographs, seeing stars, etc.)  Cosplayers can still dress up at home or post videos.   Gamers can still play games online

I hope the comic community thinks smart and innovative to keep their businesses relevant and profitable.  .  

I think you have some really good ideas.A virtual Con over 4-5 days. You could have remote creators, actors etc gather teleconference. It might be a thrill for those of us having giving up on lines to enter a panel discussion.

Comic And art Dealers over the four day weekend could be available live feed from a virtual booth ( obviously displaying there work or inventory from home or shuttered business)

It would be great to click on artist alley feed and wait in cue to commission a drawing or get on a waiting list.

Id love to see Mitch or Bechara sitting in a lounge chair in their man caves with displayed art and portfolios. You could click a live stream link that puts you in cue to speak to a dealer, artist or vendor.

They could have a virtual buddy chat so we could meet up with our friends over the four days. We could brag, ask advice etc.

It might be the way to go. I don’t know if SDCC has the wherewithal to pull off this kind of idea. 2021 will likely see prices go up to make up for lost 2020 revenue.

Think positive!!!!

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I think you have some really good ideas.A virtual Con over 4-5 days. You could have remote creators, actors etc gather teleconference. It might be a thrill for those of us having giving up on lines to enter a panel discussion.

Comic And art Dealers over the four day weekend could be available live feed from a virtual booth ( obviously displaying there work or inventory from home or shuttered business)

It would be great to click on artist alley feed and wait in cue to commission a drawing or get on a waiting list.

Id love to see Mitch or Bechara sitting in a lounge chair in their man caves with displayed art and portfolios. You could click a live stream link that puts you in cue to speak to a dealer, artist or vendor.

They could have a virtual buddy chat so we could meet up with our friends over the four days. We could brag, ask advice etc.

It might be the way to go. I don’t know if SDCC has the wherewithal to pull off this kind of idea. 2021 will likely see prices go up to make up for lost 2020 revenue.

Think positive!!!!

I don't feel a virtual con is necessary for me. Anyone who wants to see the art I have, can simply go to my site. I will post, like I've done for years, the art that will be for sale.

For what it's worth, I think SDCC is going to offer something along the lines of what they offered for the cancelled Wondercon, and that is to give vendors the use of the SDCC website and mailing list to offer a portal for SDCC wares and exclusives.  I don't know if it's an effective or easy to navigate platform to make contacts and sales, so if something else can be engineered, I'd be all for it.  I was going to offer my XFactor 1 variant I did with David Finch as a SDCC exclusive this year, but have had to hustle to make it available online instead, so if someone can come up with a virtual con of some sort to make it more widely available, I wouldn't hate that!

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

I don't feel a virtual con is necessary for me. Anyone who wants to see the art I have, can simply go to my site. I will post, like I've done for years, the art that will be for sale.

Absolutely my man. It’s just hard to see your 43 year streak end through no fault of your own. 
That being said if you want to get your hands on great art, from one of the most honest and knowledgeable dealers on the planet, simply contact Mitch.

A fan

🍇 + 🦍 

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Absolutely my man. It’s just hard to see your 43 year streak end through no fault of your own. 
That being said if you want to get your hands on great art, from one of the most honest and knowledgeable dealers on the planet, simply contact Mitch.

A fan

🍇 + 🦍 

Actually, all of you guys worried about "breaking your streak" can rejoice, because as long as no convention was even held, your streaks are in fact still intact. You'll only be be breaking your streaks of going to the city of San Diego, and we all know that's NOT the streak any of you cares about. The streak can only be broken if the event was held and you didn't attend. Rejoice, YOUR STREAKS ARE INTACT! :applause:

18 minutes ago, Rubén DaCollector said:

Actually, all of you guys worried about "breaking your streak" can rejoice, because as long as no convention was even held, your streaks are in fact still intact. You'll only be be breaking your streaks of going to the city of San Diego, and we all know that's NOT the streak any of you cares about. The streak can only be broken if the event was held and you didn't attend. Rejoice, YOUR STREAKS ARE INTACT! :applause:

Of course!

You are correct!!

wonder what all these major con cancellation will do to sales for OA.  People have all this money saved for using at conventions like SDCC (hotel, airflight, etc).  wonder if they will redirect all those funds to OA now.

6 hours ago, joefixit2 said:

wonder what all these major con cancellation will do to sales for OA.  People have all this money saved for using at conventions like SDCC (hotel, airflight, etc).  wonder if they will redirect all those funds to OA now.

Given the unemployment statistics, a fair number of them may have other needs.

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Given the unemployment statistics, a fair number of them may have other needs.

The real art world has slowed dramatically.

https://news.artnet.com/market/coronavirus-lack-of-sales-1834389?utm_content=from_&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=US 9:50 a.m. newsletter for 4/16/20&utm_term=US Daily Newsletter [MORNING]

Evidently, the memo hasn't made it out to the comic art fringe yet.