• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are Your Three Favorite Timelys?
2 2

64 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

My three favorite Timely covers are super busy artwork from Alex Schomburg, Cap 33, 37, and 41.  Reminds me of "Where's Waldo?"  Note in Cap 41, Bucky is using a flamethrower to incinerate a Japanese soldier.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761IMG_0619.thumb.JPG.3a9ac7e376516f25f2ffcdcb8beac250.JPG

CaptainAmericaComics37cover.jpg.5409b21d077baca0e7364fc27420d991.jpg

IMG_0620.JPG.79c4501b21cffacbcabc58b28a73c74f.JPG

Runner up is Marvel Mystery Comics 36, which I always found amusing.  This is not my copy, but I have one hidden away  I first saw this cover in Steranko's History of Comics, which I bought in 1971 from the late Gary Arlington.  I never could figure out why the Germans were wearing deep diving gear, when they are only walking six feet through the water to invade New York City.

.25312.jpg.6d3c2f223ee831ad709bcc29a4d11225.jpg

Cap 33 is a top favorite of mine too Ray. I always thought the cover from Marvel Mystery 36 was preceded by the bulk of the journey down the long tunnel from Marvel Mystery 15 (thumbsu

C1A4B21D-4D83-4620-9CE8-F83CF4C52A44.jpeg

15 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I never could figure out why the Germans were wearing deep diving gear, when they are only walking six feet through the water to invade New York City.

Hey, you're not supposed to notice those things nor ask questions like that!! :nyah:

17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Daring Mystery #7 was on the short list. The cover isn't that great. The book is fairly common so there isn't much hoopla about it. But every story is a first appearance or origin of an interesting, oddball character. The Fin, The Blue Diamond, The Thunderer, The Challenger. This book was so memorable that it received special mention by Steranko in The History of Comics.

That one is high on my list for favorite covers :sorry:

50 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
18 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Daring Mystery #7 was on the short list. The cover isn't that great. The book is fairly common so there isn't much hoopla about it. But every story is a first appearance or origin of an interesting, oddball character. The Fin, The Blue Diamond, The Thunderer, The Challenger. This book was so memorable that it received special mention by Steranko in The History of Comics.

That one is high on my list for favorite covers 

It is eye catching, but it is like an expanded version of the side tiers running on Marvel Mystery...

daring7.jpg

mm16.jpg

9 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It is eye catching, but it is like an expanded version of the side tiers running on Marvel Mystery...

daring7.jpg

mm16.jpg

Both are pretty great.  I love how the Torch was drawn on a lot of the Marvel Mystery covers

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I love how the Torch was drawn on a lot of the Marvel Mystery covers

Totally agree. He was such a unique character, and represented so well on so many covers that a lot of folks think the covers were repetitious. Those people are right - repetitiously well done.

27 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

mm16.jpg

This has the best linework of any Schomburg Timely cover.  It's more illustrative, less cartoony, and with superb inking, especially of the black clouds resulting from the oil fire.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Totally agree. He was such a unique character, and represented so well on so many covers that a lot of folks think the covers were repetitious. Those people are right - repetitiously well done.

You're spot on. It's a real embarrassment of riches. People talk about classic covers: most of the run sports classic covers, whether they're "official" or not! It's almost easier to list the few dozen that might not make the cut.  hm

9 hours ago, adamstrange said:

This has the best linework of any Schomburg Timely cover.  It's more illustrative, less cartoony, and with superb inking, especially of the black clouds resulting from the oil fire.

This is my only Schomie.  Being late to the game I could really only afford, in the grade range I like, to go for one representative work.  In addition to the criteria you listed, I also wanted to see both Torch and Toro drawn in proper proportion to each other and be well defined and drawn equally well, yet differently.  A damsel in distress.  Also I had to see two big beautiful fiery splashy molten entrance holes.  Not one...two. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dd19556b4d4216a5ee922b7153414a6c.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Love

1 hour ago, EC ed said:

Next is Cap #27 - enough said. Is there a more iconic motorcycle cover? 

captainamerica27_f.thumb.jpg.eadc5f6b2f982326923db13b98591226.jpg

This is truly a classic cover!! I love overall composition, especially how the artwork is heavy at the bottom and lighter at the top, adding to the sense that Cap is soaring above the fray. That, and the fact that the artwork really intrudes mightily into the logo box at the top.  :cloud9:

If you enjoyed the Moon Man story above, you might enjoy the original story and first appearance of The Face by Gardner Fox (Michael Blake) featured a year earlier in Big Shot Comics #1, May 1940  A ridiculous amount of similarities in the stories.  Hope my copy/paste works....,

aYYDPN2OrF0daoEuDexf6fJP_WSCyJLN-xmdx-fr54fmbgolmfJhTg7eDaOLVoNcdTNedikG2b1qC9O_C-rKqcqzoJUZfOnIXxRWiujEuvF6no4Al0tsNtL0FLcwPUVLVCp_-0ZefA=s0