• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a good deal or trash one should avoid?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Part of me does find it fun, in a very cynical way, to buy CGC'd books at cheaper than it actually cost to slab them. But it can still be a waste of money if the book is worthless anyway.

So here's one I was curious about. I can currently buy this Edge of Venomverse 3 comics (first appearance of Host Rider... yay?) in 9.4 for 17$. Cheap for sure, but might still be a waste of money. Let me know if you,'d buy this if the opportunity presented itself or if you would avoid it.

Item #49231798 Front Cover: Edge of Venomverse #3A CGC 9.4

9 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Do you want it for yourself? Yes? Then buy it.

Do you want to try and sell for a profit? Yes? Then do not buy it.

Do you want to read it? Yes? Then do not buy it.

I really appreciate how concise yet thorough this answer was, thanks!

In the early 2000s I bought some random CGC books from 4.0 - 9.8 to have a library of exemplars to reference when grading raw books. I tried to get them for $15 and under shipped (back when folks shipped slabs media). Hodge podge of BA and SA books, mostly, with moderns in the higher grades. True, I tried to buy decent books if I could. Got a nice swamp thing 27 in 9.8 for $9.99 + $5 shipping. Not that some of these ST 9.8s are selling for much more nowadays.

Like the blob, I also occasionally buy cheap slabs just to have grading examples. 

It’s particularly useful when someone brings in a collection to sell and is convinced their books are worth what they saw a 9.8 selling for on eBay, and I can pull out a stack in various grades and help them understand that their copy isn’t a 9.8. 

From that standpoint, a sample 9.4 that lets you purchase raw NM copies at a fair price vs being thought a thief for not offering half a 9.8 price... might pay back that $17 many times over.

37 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Are all of Marvel's new characters just existing characters mashed up? Can we give "Host Rider" Thor's hammer and have his family gunned down while they picnic in Central Park?

Define "new"?   Deadpool is nearly 30 years old, and he's just Deathstroke with Spider-Man mask.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:58 AM, William-James88 said:

Part of me does find it fun, in a very cynical way, to buy CGC'd books at cheaper than it actually cost to slab them. But it can still be a waste of money if the book is worthless anyway.

So here's one I was curious about. I can currently buy this Edge of Venomverse 3 comics (first appearance of Host Rider... yay?) in 9.4 for 17$. Cheap for sure, but might still be a waste of money. Let me know if you,'d buy this if the opportunity presented itself or if you would avoid it.

Item #49231798 Front Cover: Edge of Venomverse #3A CGC 9.4

I have alot of books I will regret buying down the road too

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

You can find slabs way cheaper than $17 if you take your time and are okay with being told no. I've gotten dozens for $10 or less.

Being told no gives me Vietnam style flashbacks from my high school dances.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

If you cover title of this comic, it's any random issue of Spawn.

HAHAHA