• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staining? Foxing? Browning? Or just a Clean?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Wondering if this is just dirty and if cleaning is what might make the whites here stand out a lot more? Or is the cover just oxidizing and turning colour and that’s just the way it is now for this book? Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by comicginger1789

2 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Hard to tell by just a picture. Most things can be removed, especially in white areas. This book would be a project though. If you know someone that is willing to take this book on and do a good job for 10 or 20 bucks let me know. 

Just out of curiosity, what do you think can be removed?

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

And how's your back? If you updated us on it, I missed it! Concerned.

Almost 100%. Still have a little tingling in the right leg where the nerves are regenerating. Other than that I feel like a new person.

31 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think can be removed?

The smell should be able to be removed at the very least greatly improved. Get some odor absorbing sheets put in different pages different times. First leave book out open to air out, even outside if not windy and protected from sun, rain, birds etc. If still there might have to build a homemade chamber with air cleaning machine in it. If still there they make odor removing sprays or you can make your own. Do every page at different times and little bit goes a long way. Use super super fine mister. 

The cover I have no idea what all is on it so can't tell you what can and can't be removed. I would have to see it in person and feel it. It will be a lot of work and take a lot of time.  What can be removed in general all depends on what it is, how long it's been on there, how deep it is, what material it is on, what age is the book, condition of the paper and gloss, what color the stain is on, and probably lots of other things I can't think of. Everything that I have seen that is common can be removed some of the time. Just about everything can be improved upon. On white cover not in deep removable vs on red ink of cover in deep for a long time then maybe improved upon. Some things I could remove but could be detected by the right person examining it closely. I haven't been able to remove marker or even ink off of colored areas of a cover without taking off the gloss and ink of the cover. I haven't had any easy examples to experiment on either, always in deep bleeding through. I am just a a hole with a chemistry degree how experiments as a hobby. I am sure these professionals can get it out. Will they and what it cost I dunno. I clean my own oil paintings, had a expensive one that had stuff I didn't see being removed. Got a referral, made sure girl was insured cause it wasn't possible. Well it was possible. 

Get some odor absorbing sheets put in different pages different times.

MIP-It Golden - MicroChamber Interleaving Paper - 7-3/16" x 10-3/16" - Pack of 50

Available on Amazon... I got the Golden size so I can use on various books by cutting to fit. I believe CGC uses this brand in their slabs.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 11.22.09 AM.png

Edited by jokiing

14 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

The smell should be able to be removed at the very least greatly improved. Get some odor absorbing sheets put in different pages different times. First leave book out open to air out, even outside if not windy and protected from sun, rain, birds etc. If still there might have to build a homemade chamber with air cleaning machine in it. If still there they make odor removing sprays or you can make your own. Do every page at different times and little bit goes a long way. Use super super fine mister. 

The cover I have no idea what all is on it so can't tell you what can and can't be removed. I would have to see it in person and feel it. It will be a lot of work and take a lot of time.  What can be removed in general all depends on what it is, how long it's been on there, how deep it is, what material it is on, what age is the book, condition of the paper and gloss, what color the stain is on, and probably lots of other things I can't think of. Everything that I have seen that is common can be removed some of the time. Just about everything can be improved upon. On white cover not in deep removable vs on red ink of cover in deep for a long time then maybe improved upon. Some things I could remove but could be detected by the right person examining it closely. I haven't been able to remove marker or even ink off of colored areas of a cover without taking off the gloss and ink of the cover. I haven't had any easy examples to experiment on either, always in deep bleeding through. I am just a a hole with a chemistry degree how experiments as a hobby. I am sure these professionals can get it out. Will they and what it cost I dunno. I clean my own oil paintings, had a expensive one that had stuff I didn't see being removed. Got a referral, made sure girl was insured cause it wasn't possible. Well it was possible. 

Thanks!

Yes, I did de-odourize it so it smells good. I don't really intend on grading this one, just seeing if there is reference for what can and cannot be whitened up on these older silver and bronze age books with the white covers. I appreciate this info!

On 4/19/2020 at 3:14 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Book had odour when I got it so perhaps this is also from the home of a smoker?

I suppose it would depend quite a bit on what they were smoking...  :whistle:

I imagine this book was stored in a pile with some other books, possibly kept in the same storage bag for too long. There appears to be some typical ink transfer and some relatively mild foxing.

Personally, I'd just put it in a nice new bag with a clean backing board and add it to my collection of reading material... 

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I suppose it would depend quite a bit on what they were smoking...  :whistle:

I imagine this book was stored in a pile with some other books, possibly kept in the same storage bag for too long. There appears to be some typical ink transfer and some relatively mild foxing.

Personally, I'd just put it in a nice new bag with a clean backing board and add it to my collection of reading material... 

That’s where it is :) it was cheap and filled my MTU run from 1-30 so I’m fine with it. It’s not a series I am jumping to upgrade on at the moment. 

13 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

That’s where it is :) it was cheap and filled my MTU run from 1-30 so I’m fine with it. It’s not a series I am jumping to upgrade on at the moment. 

Common sense is a rarity these days. Thank you for having it...

23 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

You were expecting me to pour copious amounts of money into cleaning, pressing and grading this book just to maybe get a CGC 5.5?

Sure we are! We're fully expecting you to do your part in supporting the economy, as are we. And what better way than to pour copious amounts of money into that book and other similar futile endeavors to needlessly spread the wealth around? :idea:

Edited by James J Johnson