• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Essential - killing time, social distancing
2 2

56 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, AndrewCup said:

Well, that Took much longer than I originally expected. It’s been a dreary rainy day, perfect for this project!  I like to look at the earlier stages versus the completed version they are miles apart visually. The more I color in this trade paperback the more I really appreciate how much work each panel of these comics really takes to complete.  While I’m working I’ve been rereading much of these issues and it only reinforces why I fell in love with Claremont storytelling, Cockrums’ and Byrnes’ art captured my imagination when I was a teenager.

08DB8EE5-7340-4DB0-8558-F75A032D01D5.jpeg

The purple on B&W seems pretty outrageous and somewhat cringy.  It all comes together with the rest of the colors, though and fills the page with action.

X-Men Giant Size #1, where it all began not for me of course but for a lot of other people. I didn’t catch on until about issue 102. Digging around for back issues was hard without the Internet and only a bicycle. I remember hearing about this giant size issue and the unbelievable price tag of $20-$30!!  So I waited and waited and finally many years after the run had ended I found a FINE copy to make my own.  I thought the cover was nice, what was really impressed again by the splash page (i’ll post that once I finish it). 68 big pages for a half a buck what a deal!!

0AE9AF3B-32C6-4CB0-8457-2610AEE1BACE.jpeg

Issue 108 “Armageddon Now!” great story Byrnes first illustrated issue on the title - I completed the final page of the issue where the Lilandra comes back through the portal announcing that she is now exiled on earth. At the bottom of the page there’s a dedication with respect and admiration to Dave Cockrum and the last line is “I’m not dead”

There’s a lot of background shading in these panels that make each one of them pop and stand out I especially like the rainbow effect in the last panel and the coloring of the first panel with Firelord’s - orange red and yellow

0A95B435-D267-40F7-86BC-5DF7C5A80D96.jpeg

Edited by AndrewCup

I’ve been putting a lot of work into the interior pages of giant size X-Men #1.  I’m continue to be amazed with the amount of detail in each panel. My short-term goal is to complete the entire giant size book at some point in the near future. This endeavor has been pretty relaxing.  Our family like yours, I’m sure, has not been able to do much during Covid.  We are playing more board games than ever before and enjoying being together. 

1D7CFE51-CC2E-461D-B301-F100FC404EDD.jpeg

5567FFAF-EE92-44E7-921B-2BB121EEE707.jpeg

3C581542-37C4-40DA-950D-DBC02C2F24BC.jpeg

9DA76307-E1EF-483A-AD3C-069A0574E3D6.jpeg

Reading Giant Size #1 as a teen, I never noticed how insensitive some of the dialog is.  “Geronimo / the JAP”.  I know this came out during the Archie Bunker era, I just never realized how overt it was. 

AF1346C3-4271-4906-A12E-75A5A7268BC7.jpeg

From X-Men #98 - does Wolverine still smoke cigarettes or have modern comics gotten rid of that filthy habit?  On occasion I’ve seen him chewing a cigar, but cigarettes??

On the next page we see Stan “the man” Lee and Jack “King” Kirby leaving an establishmen, as cyclops and Jean Grey are entering. My question is whether or not Kirby, Lee, and Marvel we’re on speaking terms at this time or did Marvel simply insert Jack’s likeness without his approval? 

It has been a while since I perused X-Men 98 - I had completely forgotten the cameo appearance of the two legends -did everyone else notice and remember?

FFB82DE6-E327-48D9-8E1D-C90FF09BC9CE.jpeg

8BBF733A-A9E1-4FDA-BBD5-F5128DC2F6A8.jpeg

Edited by AndrewCup