• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics w "Not to Be Sold" or complimentary Stamped on Covers
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I've found some older info on this, but thought I'd ask it again, to get feedback and because I thought it may be of interest to some here.

Well over a decade ago, I bought a few runs of comics from a third party seller, who was moving them for a prominent, longtime Marvel creator. I ended up with some great stuff. The biggest thrill out of all of it was my ability to fill in many gaps in my Amazing Spider-Man run. I ended up with many doubles, due to my having collected the title from the mid 70's and onward. 

There was a period of time, just shy of two years, in the early 1980's, that the books being given to staff were stamped with a "Not to Be Sold" , "Complimentary Copy" boldly on the covers.

I put these to the side, since I had clean copies already.

I am attaching a pic for those of you sadists out there.

My question is, how does this effect value of the books?

Marvel Do Not Sell.jpg

Edited by Fred Chamberlain

In terms of the stamp itself affecting the grade, it depends on where the books are grade wise.

I mean, it might keep high grade book from being a 9.6 or 9.8 and instead only be a 9.0-9.2 if the stamp is the only flaw (which can be mean it affects it lot)

If the books are in VF shape, the stamp wouldn't factor in much at all. Could lose half a grade, could stay the same. 

If they are Fine or lower, I would say there is no effect really of the stamp on overall grade.

Now if who they belonged to at Marvel were to be proven (and it is someone noteworthy or that comic fans know), that could up the price. I am a sucker for neat stamps so if you do sell 'em, I'll take one with a stamp :)

The two year period of Amazing Spider-Man books that came from the collection I bought, has "Complimentary Copy" or "Not to Be Sold", with a few different samping designs. My understanding is that they had a staff go through and stamp them.... imagine having that as a job to be done.

Sort of related, but not. When companies send out complimentary dvds/blu rays either for review purposes or because you supplied materials for the movie, they will punch a hole in the UPC code on the back. Sometimes "Not For Sale" is printed directly on the disc itself.