• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would YOU do this....
3 3

121 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

As someone who joined the boards b/c I was looking to get books signed and what not, here's my 2c.

I've been collecting comics for 30 years at this point.  Recently (whenever it was I joined these boards) I decided I was in a good enough financial position to go out and buy some of those expensive books I always dreamed of having as a kid.  One of those books was a Silver Surfer #1 (SS is my absolute favorite character of all time).  Well, I went out and I bought a CGC 7.5 blue label and I went and got it signed by Stan and Joe Sinnott.  The sigs are great.  Fantastic placement and both in silver (because he's the Silver Surfer, not the Gold Surfer).  I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't happy with the book.  I just pulled it out and looked at it and I love it.  But I'd also be lying if I didn't tell you that I wish I had a blue label to go with it.  So many books are signed these days that it feels like the number of high grade blue label books keeps shrinking.  And if you're thinking about resale down the road, a blue label is going to have a larger market for demand than a yellow label.  Mind you, I only feel this way about older keys (Giant Size X-Men included).  Print runs on key modern books are so high that it hardly matters, not to mention their values are "cheap" to begin with.  If I get X-Men #1 signed by Jim, Scott, and Chris, I can just as easily find a replacement for less than $10.  (okay, terrible example since it's the highest printed book of all time).  But Batman #608 is the same.  'Tec 880 might be a little more difficult to replace, but you get the idea.  They're cheaper to find blue labels than me going out and buying a blue SS#1 or you finding another Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.4.  Long story short, I would say no, don't get it signed.

Besides, have you seen Chris' sig?  It's not what I would call...legible.

image.png.dfc747c53a7cfc5911efc61759048c11.png

Now see that is what separates your xmen 1 from the other 6 MILLION copies that were sold.  I have ten of those copies 3 of the double fold and 2 of each of the other covers.  Not worth trying to sell.  However, your cover fold with those sigs is now what 1 in 5000?  now it goes for 400 to 500.  Yellow label all the way.  make it unique.  that is my thinking  Would you take a wolverine #1 at a 10 grade verses a hulk 181 9.8.  Only 3 of the 10 grades exist!  that is a tough choice if you have cash  and want a unique item to brag about.

Edited by god503

12 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

As someone who joined the boards b/c I was looking to get books signed and what not, here's my 2c.

I've been collecting comics for 30 years at this point.  Recently (whenever it was I joined these boards) I decided I was in a good enough financial position to go out and buy some of those expensive books I always dreamed of having as a kid.  One of those books was a Silver Surfer #1 (SS is my absolute favorite character of all time).  Well, I went out and I bought a CGC 7.5 blue label and I went and got it signed by Stan and Joe Sinnott.  The sigs are great.  Fantastic placement and both in silver (because he's the Silver Surfer, not the Gold Surfer).  I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't happy with the book.  I just pulled it out and looked at it and I love it.  But I'd also be lying if I didn't tell you that I wish I had a blue label to go with it.  So many books are signed these days that it feels like the number of high grade blue label books keeps shrinking.  And if you're thinking about resale down the road, a blue label is going to have a larger market for demand than a yellow label.  Mind you, I only feel this way about older keys (Giant Size X-Men included).  Print runs on key modern books are so high that it hardly matters, not to mention their values are "cheap" to begin with.  If I get X-Men #1 signed by Jim, Scott, and Chris, I can just as easily find a replacement for less than $10.  (okay, terrible example since it's the highest printed book of all time).  But Batman #608 is the same.  'Tec 880 might be a little more difficult to replace, but you get the idea.  They're cheaper to find blue labels than me going out and buying a blue SS#1 or you finding another Giant Size X-Men #1 CGC 9.4.  Long story short, I would say no, don't get it signed.

Besides, have you seen Chris' sig?  It's not what I would call...legible.

image.png.dfc747c53a7cfc5911efc61759048c11.png

Looks like blood spatter

Why did Signatures get so popular? I know artist n dealers like the money, as do the resellers but why fans? Or do they buy them as a investment? Used to be you would get the splash page signed. Now are books. Like real books signed on cover as well or inside of the book? 

Nothing against stan. And he was in great shape for his age. But would have I have wanted him handling my comic and slopping down his terrible later years Signature picking out the worst area of the cover to sign with my 10 grand comic with his handlers only objective to get as many people through the assembly line as fast as possible? 

1 minute ago, Myowncollector said:

Why did Signatures get so popular? I know artist n dealers like the money, as do the resellers but why fans? Or do they buy them as a investment? Used to be you would get the splash page signed. Now are books. Like real books signed on cover as well or inside of the book? 

Nothing against stan. And he was in great shape for his age. But would have I have wanted him handling my comic and slopping down his terrible later years Signature picking out the worst area of the cover to sign with my 10 grand comic with his handlers only objective to get as many people through the assembly line as fast as possible? 

It lowers the amount that exist.  Uniqueness has value.  

2 minutes ago, god503 said:

It lowers the amount that exist.  Uniqueness has value.  

I just picked up moon knight 12  1st appearance of morbius     100 bucks  nothing crazy.  I got it because frank miller did the cover.  Going to submit it for his signing.  Making it unique.

here is another one that i am eying.  Im a big Todd father fan.  especially  on how he draws spiderman.  got ASM 298 299 300 of coarse. spider mam 1-16 etc.  Looking at AMS 301  Do you know a 9.8 is at LEAST 1k?????  I was like why?  Until i ask a couple of guys who own shops.  Apparently a 9.8 on that book is REALLY hard to come by for some reason,  probably because its an all white cover,  the price tanks as soon as it goes to 9.6 and lower.  

Its unique

I get it. I dont think they verify inside the book Signatures. Haven't seen one. But why not? And I dont think they would be as valuable. And to me hulk 181 is a great cover. I dont want it polluted with Signatures. Avengers annual 10 you can put 30 Signatures on the cover and I wouldn't care. I don't want neither of those books but just examples.

4 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I get it. I dont think they verify inside the book Signatures. Haven't seen one. But why not? And I dont think they would be as valuable. And to me hulk 181 is a great cover. I dont want it polluted with Signatures. Avengers annual 10 you can put 30 Signatures on the cover and I wouldn't care. I don't want neither of those books but just examples.

11 and counting...  ;)

20200420_235001.jpg

13 minutes ago, god503 said:

Now see that is what separates your xmen 1 from the other 6 MILLION copies that were sold.  I have ten of those copies 3 of the double fold and 2 of each of the other covers.  Not worth trying to sell.  However, your cover fold with those sigs is now what 1 in 5000?  now it goes for 400 to 500.  Yellow label all the way.  make it unique.  that is my thinking  Would you take a wolverine #1 at a 10 grade verses a hulk 181 9.8.  Only 3 of the 10 grades exist!  that is a tough choice if you have cash  and want a unique item to brag about.

So i've turned my book into something more rarified.  I've taken a normal book and moved myself into a category with more limited supply.  But by doing so, i've also reduced the demand on my book because not every collector is out there looking for a signed book.  The fact that fewer of something exist, doesn't necessarily make it better.  There are fewer copies of Hickman's X-Men #1, but that doesn't make it more valuable than Chris/Jim/Scotts.  It's the content that drives it.  Wolverine #1 in a 10 or Hulk #181 in a 9.8?  I'm taking the 9.8.

At the end of the day it boils down to what makes you happy.  For me, it just became an expensive part of the hobby that I didn't necessarily enjoy the way I thought I would.  But if you enjoy sigs on your books, then go for it.  All I can offer is the personal experience I went through of going from wanting books signed, to not wanting them signed.  (Again, moderns excluded because they're easy to replace.)

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

So i've turned my book into something more rarified.  I've taken a normal book and moved myself into a category with more limited supply.  But by doing so, i've also reduced the demand on my book because not every collector is out there looking for a signed book.  The fact that fewer of something exist, doesn't necessarily make it better.  There are fewer copies of Hickman's X-Men #1, but that doesn't make it more valuable than Chris/Jim/Scotts.  It's the content that drives it.  Wolverine #1 in a 10 or Hulk #181 in a 9.8?  I'm taking the 9.8.

At the end of the day it boils down to what makes you happy.  For me, it just became an expensive part of the hobby that I didn't necessarily enjoy the way I thought I would.  But if you enjoy sigs on your books, then go for it.  All I can offer is the personal experience I went through of going from wanting books signed, to not wanting them signed.  (Again, moderns excluded because they're easy to replace.)

I hear you completely.  For me, the joy of the story part faded years ago when they started making so many earths that they started numbering them to tell them apart.  :censored:  then they blow them up and redo who there mothers were.. etc.. rantrant   so for me at this stage in my life,  all i can do is take what i own and turn into a financial commodity.  And with Hollywood desperate for stories, I have no problem enjoying that part of my collections... (kissing my Eternals 1 9.8 as i type) :devil:

Edited by god503

5 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I get it. Most collectors like rare as possible. Newsstand, Canadian, error ect. Just interesting it took all these years for it to become popular and crazy popular. 

I get the errors part, but the bar code vs no bar code stuff still makes my eyes roll.  not into that one

7 minutes ago, god503 said:

I get the errors part, but the bar code vs no bar code stuff still makes my eyes roll.  not into that one

There are Newsstand price Edition that would be compared but not totally the same as 30/35 cent variant 

Regular Newsstand in high grade is just nice if it turns out to be in my collection, imo, especially after the year 2000. But it's all been said before and kind of loses something 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

21 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I dont know if this pic is good enough to see the note on the label, authenticated, signed on 1st page.

I got this earlier on as an alternative 

3204681_Full_Obv.jpg

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I dont know if this pic is good enough to see the note on the label, authenticated, signed on 1st page.

I got this earlier on as an alternative 

3204681_Full_Obv.jpg

OMG  Bagley draws spiderman like he has anorexia.. 

2 minutes ago, god503 said:

OMG  Bagley draws spiderman like he has anorexia.. 

Lol I wasn't as impressed early on with the "art", as much as, the 9.8 in the corner, signature series and signed on 1st page. That and the $15 it cost to purchase...

This might have been close to the 4th cgc slab that I had held in person lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I wasn't as impressed early on with the "art", as much as, the 9.8 in the corner, signature series and signed on 1st page.

This might have been close to the 4th cgc slab that I had held in person lol

Would love to bring this one home....  Look into my Todd father made eyes... 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by god503