• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay introduce 'managed payments'
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Starting later this year, eBay will begin managing payments in Australia. Managed payments supports an enhanced buying and selling experience on eBay.

Buyers have more ways to pay with credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal and AfterPay. Sellers have one place to sell and get paid, with payouts directly deposited into your bank account. You also have a single source for fees, customised reports, refunds, simplified protections and expert payments support.

We are pleased to share that we are now starting to progressively enable pre-registration for Australian sellers whose features and tools usage are compatible with managed payments.

In the coming weeks, you may receive a notice to pre-register on managed payments. 

If you receive a notification,If you receive a notification, we encourage you to pre-register. Pre-registration can be completed in a few simple steps, and allows you to get ready for managed payments. However, nothing will change in how you manage your business until your account is activated, and we will notify you in advance. Information on fees and how they are calculated will be made available at the beginning of the pre-registration process.

If you don’t receive a notification, there is no other action required at this time. We’re enabling sellers whose business matches best with the features offered at present. As we continue to expand our features, we’ll keep you informed and notify you to register when we can support the needs of your business.

For more details and answers to your questions on managed payments, head over to the Seller Centre page.

Which is great, except I don't want people to pay with apple gift cards, and have ebay handle all my payments. If you don't allow this - off ebay you go in 2021 - no exceptions.

Is this what you have in the USA?

If you don't use ebay, is Amazon any better for example?

I save up my sales in paypal to buy books, I don't want payments into my bank, and then transfer it to paypal again.

This may well be the proverbial straw etc etc

Thoughts?

They have something similar in usa. You don't have to enroll in it as if yet. Your message from them states same thing. So you are good if you choose to keep using paypal. In usa paypal charges 2.9% fee but if you do Ebay's plan its 2.8 or 2.7. So you will probably have something similar but only if you choose.

42 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

They have something similar in usa. You don't have to enroll in it as if yet. Your message from them states same thing. So you are good if you choose to keep using paypal. In usa paypal charges 2.9% fee but if you do Ebay's plan its 2.8 or 2.7. So you will probably have something similar but only if you choose.

No - paypal has been removed as an option for payments from buyers. 

Payment into nominated bank account only is allowed as this rolls out - so put simply, no paypal protection, it's all being done by ebay.

You can PAY by paypal, but not recieve payments into anything other than a designated bank account in either 2 day or weekly payments.

This is worrying. Sellers lose paypal protection - what about tax?

Will ebay roll through their GSP - USA pays no tax on imported comics, but the UK does.

Who trusts ebay to get that right?

Will they report payments to the Govt taxation office - it will be a nightmare trying to match up receipts for buying stuff and attaching them to payments from selling stuff to minimise tax.

What if you are selling family members old comics.

It's a nightmare and ebay demand 100% control over every sale, including where the payment goes.

From ebay:

You can complete pre-registration in a few simple steps by verifying your identity and business, agreeing to the Payments Terms of Use and adding a bank account so you can get paid. Once enabled, buyer feedback and existing listings will be automatically updated, and will reflect the different ways buyers can pay. Sellers can immediately access all available features of the new payments experience.

Managed payments is the new way to do business on eBay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020, and all sellers will eventually be required to have eBay manage their payments in order to keep selling on eBay.

With eBay managing your payments, you will pay payments processing fees only to eBay, and not separately to another processor. This means you will no longer pay fees directly to PayPal.

You will need to add a bank account to your eBay seller account and your funds will be deposited into that bank account. With payouts paid to your bank account, you no longer need to transfer funds from PayPal. We consistently initiate payouts to your bank account within 2 business days of an order confirmation, regardless of how the buyer paid. We aim to pay you as quickly as possible, but are dependent on the credit card brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc.) and banks for payout processing and timely funds settlement.

Once enabled with eBay Managed Payments, you will have the option to schedule weekly or daily payouts to your bank account, as funds are available. You can choose your payouts frequency in Payout Settings in the new Payments tab on Seller Hub.

The Payouts section within the Payments tab provides an overview of the payouts you've received from us. You can see the total amount of each payout, when we sent it to you, the account we sent it to, and how many transactions were included.

Buyers will have the option to pay with credit, debit, and gift cards; Apple Pay; Google Pay; and PayPal and AfterPay.

16 minutes ago, Beige said:

No - paypal has been removed as an option for payments from buyers. 

Payment into nominated bank account only is allowed as this rolls out - so put simply, no paypal protection, it's all being done by ebay.

You can PAY by paypal, but not recieve payments into anything other than a designated bank account in either 2 day or weekly payments.

This is worrying. Sellers lose paypal protection - what about tax?

Will ebay roll through their GSP - USA pays no tax on imported comics, but the UK does.

Who trusts ebay to get that right?

Will they report payments to the Govt taxation office - it will be a nightmare trying to match up receipts for buying stuff and attaching them to payments from selling stuff to minimise tax.

What if you are selling family members old comics.

It's a nightmare and ebay demand 100% control over every sale, including where the payment goes.

From ebay:

You can complete pre-registration in a few simple steps by verifying your identity and business, agreeing to the Payments Terms of Use and adding a bank account so you can get paid. Once enabled, buyer feedback and existing listings will be automatically updated, and will reflect the different ways buyers can pay. Sellers can immediately access all available features of the new payments experience.

Managed payments is the new way to do business on eBay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020, and all sellers will eventually be required to have eBay manage their payments in order to keep selling on eBay.

With eBay managing your payments, you will pay payments processing fees only to eBay, and not separately to another processor. This means you will no longer pay fees directly to PayPal.

You will need to add a bank account to your eBay seller account and your funds will be deposited into that bank account. With payouts paid to your bank account, you no longer need to transfer funds from PayPal. We consistently initiate payouts to your bank account within 2 business days of an order confirmation, regardless of how the buyer paid. We aim to pay you as quickly as possible, but are dependent on the credit card brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc.) and banks for payout processing and timely funds settlement.

Once enabled with eBay Managed Payments, you will have the option to schedule weekly or daily payouts to your bank account, as funds are available. You can choose your payouts frequency in Payout Settings in the new Payments tab on Seller Hub.

The Payouts section within the Payments tab provides an overview of the payouts you've received from us. You can see the total amount of each payout, when we sent it to you, the account we sent it to, and how many transactions were included.

Buyers will have the option to pay with credit, debit, and gift cards; Apple Pay; Google Pay; and PayPal and AfterPay.

I am sorry I must of read that wrong. Well is usa you still get paid via PayPal if you choose so interesting. For family they can still pay you using PayPal. You don't need ebay to use paypal unless you have family that you dont trust. Ebay provides some protection in usa long as you do things right.

1 minute ago, Myowncollector said:

I am sorry I must of read that wrong. Well is usa you still get paid via PayPal if you choose so interesting. For family they can still pay you using PayPal. You don't need ebay to use paypal unless you have family that you dont trust. Ebay provides some protection in usa long as you do things right.

I guess what I read was what if you dont get contacted to pre register or you choose not to? Email made it sound like only certain sellers were invited to do this new program. The entire country have to do it or just some sellers who Match their criteria to do it?

46 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I guess what I read was what if you dont get contacted to pre register or you choose not to? Email made it sound like only certain sellers were invited to do this new program. The entire country have to do it or just some sellers who Match their criteria to do it?

Every single seller on ebay has to sign up or leave ebay completely by Dec 31st 2020.

It's like ebay want to wither and die isn't it?

21 minutes ago, Beige said:

Every single seller on ebay has to sign up or leave ebay completely by Dec 31st 2020.

Just get paid a different way. Or sell somewhere else. Build your own website. Facebook Instagram. Build a local network of collectors to sell too. Lots of other auction sites. Sucks but out of your control.

Goodbye ebay! Bon voyage. Don't forget to write.

With the elimination of paypal protection from the platform, ebay will become Amazon, a big top for every scam seller in the world to thrive on by preying on buyers. Sellers on Amazon have no accountability. They collect their managed payments from Amazon whether they deliver or not, and they all know they don't have to, especially in the age of CV-19, a time when not a single Amazon agent is available to look into seller fraud.

So what Amazon sellers now do is to print a label, to get tracking, enter that tracking, and that's it. They never deliver the parcel to the carrier or have it picked up. They're paid by Amazon, Amazon's A-Z guarantee does not apply because of CV-19, end of story. The seller keeps your money, the item, Amazon takes the cut, rinse and repeat, some sellers on there have 1000+ negatives just from the past 2 months alone for Personal protection equipment mail fraud that they will never make good on, nor will Amazon remedy, and they're still allowed to continue listing and selling though according to the feedback, it's a scam.

Once managed payments kick in on ebay and paypal is removed as a safe payment option, ebay will follow suit as these sellers land there as well.

They are highly encouraging it for US Sellers.  However, they are not allowing sellers that use managed payments to also use the eBay Global Shipping Program.  That is highly alarming since they are two in-house eBay designs.  Without GSP, I will be cutting off international sales.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 5.52.47 AM.png

6 hours ago, Beige said:

I’m hopeful that I can move all my eBay items prior to managed payments becoming mandatory, because I don’t plan to stick around once they do.  eBay has completely gone away from what it was founded as - an auction site for the little guy.  All about the EPS now. 

I’m just a guy with a hobby, so if they don’t need me, I don’t need them.

Managed Payments is being phased in here in the U.S., too.  You have to be on it sometime this year, I think it's by October.  You randomly get an email with a time limit to get on or get off. 

Most people on MP find it to be business as usual, even those who were resistant to change.  I will go on it when forced.

You can still accept PayPal as a form of payment, a recent change.  It's just that it goes into eBay's PayPal account instead of yours.  Then you are credited with the sale same as any other method. 

You can now also use the money in MP to pay for eBay shipping labels.  People have reported that the money flow from eBay to their bank account is a couple of days, automatic, an occasional hiccup.

There is something in the works at PayPal to be able to give you a virtual routing number.  When eBay asks what bank to send the funds to, you give them the virtual PayPal routing number.  It bolts right up to your PayPal account, like a side door.  So eBay is sending the money to your PayPal account instead of your bank account.  If you need the money to be in your PayPal account for whatever reason, this would work.  It's still in development.

10 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I’m hopeful that I can move all my eBay items prior to managed payments becoming mandatory, because I don’t plan to stick around once they do.  eBay has completely gone away from what it was founded as - an auction site for the little guy.  All about the EPS now. 

I’m just a guy with a hobby, so if they don’t need me, I don’t need them.

Maybe something else will come along. Ebay has been around too long. Excite Yahoo Myspace where just fine yet something that did the same thing came along and killed them. Ebay is a joke compared to Amazon. How many people under the age of 30 use it? You guys might cause its the #1 comic sales site but non sellers who dont collect anything it's dead for that age group. Old people dont like change. They made paypal separate to avoid conflict of interest but now they are missing out on that 3 percent fee so kick PayPal out. Probably sold off their interest in paypal and planned to do this. Double dip in profits.

11 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Maybe something else will come along. Ebay has been around too long. Excite Yahoo Myspace where just fine yet something that did the same thing came along and killed them. Ebay is a joke compared to Amazon. How many people under the age of 30 use it? You guys might cause its the #1 comic sales site but non sellers who dont collect anything it's dead for that age group. Old people dont like change. They made paypal separate to avoid conflict of interest but now they are missing out on that 3 percent fee so kick PayPal out. Probably sold off their interest in paypal and planned to do this. Double dip in profits.

I seem to recall they spun PayPal off because a few activist board members and/or shareholders wanted to pad the bottom line, nothing more.  It wasn't that bad of an idea in a vacuum because third party payment processors seem to pop up all the time, PayPal was just the first major name in the game and is probably still the most well known, despite the competitive landscape.

Regardless, you're correct that they're never going to compete with Amazon, except maybe in percentage of fraudulent transactions.  Bezos is building an empire, eBay is just an auction site with severe little brother syndrome that can't accept excelling at what it used to excel at.

Edited by mattn792

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

I seem to recall they spun PayPal off because a few activist board members and/or shareholders wanted to pad the bottom line, nothing more.  It wasn't that bad of an idea in a vacuum because third party payment processors seem to pop up all the time, PayPal was just the first major name in the game and is probably still the most well known, despite the competitive landscape.

Regardless, you're correct that they're never going to compete with Amazon, except maybe in percentage of fraudulent transactions.  Bezos is building an empire, eBay is just an auction site with severe little brother syndrome that can't accept excelling at what it used to excel at.

You are probably right. Or at least something to make money. The conflict of interest was just the company line of bs. It's something to do with money. I dont blame them. Why have a 3rd party making 3 percent when you can just create your own payment system. Probably would of done it sooner if not for some legal issues or they had a agreement or no compete clause. 

Originally PayPal and eBay were separate companies.  EBay tried to add a payment system to compete with PayPal, called BidPay if I recall correctly.  PayPal was already entrenched, so bullets just bounced off of PayPal.  No one wanted to change.  Quickly eBay decided it was easier to just buy PayPal than to fight with it.

They slogged along together for quite some time.  I believe it was Carl Icahn who pointed out that the marriage between PayPal and eBay was holding back PayPal from growing.  The conflict was that if PayPal wanted to approach some large sales platform, similar to eBay, make its products available to that enterprise, they were negatively affecting eBay.  So PayPal would elect not to initiate those sales avenues, losing opportunities. 

It was decided that PayPal had more potential growth (profits) than eBay, and it was time to let PayPal loose of its chains.  So as not to rock the boat so much that either felt disruptions, there were strict terms and timelines drawn up to make the separation work.  Since the separation is almost complete, eBay sees that it can do its own payment processing, saving some money.

Don't forget, PayPal charges 3% but has to usually send half of that to the credit card company involved.  It's just a pass-through.  EBay will have to do the same thing.  It's actually 1.5% or so that is in play, and that's still a lot of money.  Right now, eBay charges less than PayPal does by a little bit.

The thing that makes everyone uneasy is that there is nothing stopping them from raising that rate to wherever they see fit.  You can't go anywhere else.  That might be the snare we are stepping into.

Edited by Lightning55