• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this trimmed?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I recently purchased an amazing spiderman 300, and noticed that the angle of the cut on the bottom looks to be off. Anyone have any insight to if it was trimmed? I feel like it was, but I am new to comic book collecting so I cant be sure.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank You IMG-5382.thumb.jpg.0ed1d645cf782b96077c514e8ff3ac08.jpg

IMG-5389.jpg

IMG-5387.jpg

21 hours ago, CarlNicholson said:

Do you think it’s just a manufactured defect? I’m talking about the angle running up on the bottom it’s very slight 

This kind of cut is fairly common during the manufacturing process, so I would say this book isn't trimmed.

And from what I've seen, trimmers usually fall into one of two categories: 1) The skilled or "professional" trimmer.  2) The unskilled or "amateur" trimmer. 

The skilled trimmer uses a variety of methods (or one method they're very comfortable with) to trim books in an attempt to improve their overall appearance and increase the desirability and perceived value. This person will always try to make the trimming appear as inconspicuous as possible. They may only trim a certain edge of the book (or only the edge of the cover) in their attempt to deceive. Telltale signs of this type of trimming will often be that the edge or edges of the book will appear unnaturally sharp and even, and the overall dimensions of the book and/or the cover may be slightly reduced. This type of trimming can be difficult to detect because some of these people are very good at what they do.  

The unskilled trimmer generally uses crude tools (like common scissors) in an attempt to reduce or eliminate unsightly flaws such as chips, tears or other small defects. This type of trimming occurs more frequently on vintage books. Usually only the cover will be trimmed, since the vast majority of those flaws are on the edges of the cover. The person doing this kind of trimming is usually just trying to make the book look better for their own personal satisfaction. This type of trimming can be relatively easy to detect due to the amateur nature of the work. 

I hope this helps provide some insight, and if you'd like to know more, I'm sure there are other folks here with more extensive knowledge on the subject...

Edited by The Lions Den

By no means am I an expert at spotting trimming. Though I agree with Lions Den about the two different levels of trimmers. Just zooming in as much as possible, it seems to be just normal wear over the years. I see at least one stain on the cover along with the black coloration in the price area, the cover seems to be fairly consistently worn all the way around, and the cover coloration looks like it matches. There are some other things to look for but without actually seeing the book in person, very difficult. Just seems like a much loved book that was purchased off the news stand back in the day.

But who am I to say I'm not an expert in trimming.

Hope this helped.