• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you guess color touch removal?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

Just now, Inaflash said:

That’s what I would think. I can’t understand why AFTER a book has already been color touched anyone thinks it looks better to scrape it away like this just so they can say it’s “unrestored “. Seems ridiculous.

:flipbait:

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

It is ridiculous.

I can't understand why simply being unrestored means enough to incentivize the market. If folks would learn not to dismiss restoration to the degree that they do then resto removal for a higher sale price would not be encouraged.

Chicken or the egg.

I attached one of my copies of the same book.  It is definitely worn but I think it has better eye appeal that the 6.0 with the scrapped off restoration.

Full disclosure, I could be biased.

batman9f.jpg

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Just saw this book and my first thought was color touch removal

This copy exhibits all the characteristics that I would expect to see for a book with color touch removal; it's really almost a textbook example.

It's a shame that someone felt the need to touch it up in the first place, but this is undeniable proof that two wrongs don't make a right...  :( 

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

As prices rose, I learned

I learned to look for beautifully presenting appropriately discounted books, particularly  A-1

The "new" grading scale really lets a buyer zero in what kind and extent of resto they're willing to buy

image.thumb.jpeg.8eff118b4b6a50235b99848813bdfaf4.jpeg

That is actually a beautiful copy 

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

As prices rose, I learned

I learned to look for beautifully presenting appropriately discounted books, particularly  A-1

The "new" grading scale really lets a buyer zero in what kind and extent of resto they're willing to buy

image.thumb.jpeg.8eff118b4b6a50235b99848813bdfaf4.jpeg

It's funny to me that you have a book with color touch that also features color touch in the artwork.  Beautiful book, by the way.

Edited by mlansdown
Added text.

Restoration and purple labels have been given a black eye to the point where people would rather scrape it off as is the case with this Batman 9.  I really don't think the scraping of this particular books resto is really that bad and i'd probably take it like this as an "unrestored" copy rather then one that comes across as "restored" for a bit of black touch up.  The 5.5 copy is very nice but i'd rather have the removed resto book that doesn't have the writing on the cover.  To me as a collector, the scraped edges aren't as much of an eyesore as the double 1942 and pen dots as the focal point of the artwork is the middle of the book. That's my personal take and each collector will have their own opinion on what they prefer to collect.

I think I'd pay more for that if the color touch was reapplied. 

This is getting to be an ugly trend.  I think CGC needs to take a harder line on this.  It is a type of restoration.  Taking a tool to modify the cover of a book further away from its natural state primarily to achieve a higher grade.  Pretty clear cut to me.  And seems like the only way to cut down on butchering classic books.  

18 hours ago, Inaflash said:

That’s what I would think. I can’t understand why AFTER a book has already been color touched anyone thinks it looks better to scrape it away like this just so they can say it’s “unrestored “. Seems ridiculous.

That's because it is...   ;)

1 hour ago, mwotka said:

I think I'd pay more for that if the color touch was reapplied. 

This is getting to be an ugly trend.  I think CGC needs to take a harder line on this.  It is a type of restoration.  Taking a tool to modify the cover of a book further away from its natural state primarily to achieve a higher grade.  Pretty clear cut to me.  And seems like the only way to cut down on butchering classic books.  

I agree completely.  It seems like a fine line between what people are doing for "restoration removal" and trimming.  There was a ridiculous thread in the grading subforum where one board member was defending roughing up an edge that was trimmed (by more cutting) to get rid of a trimming designation on lower grade books.  If this stuff isn't butchery, I don't know what is.

Edited by Randall Dowling
spelling