• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Copycats ??
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I was looking for a copy of Mighty Mouse 38 on eBay and came across this...

image.thumb.png.2155ed164be0469689cac62a7211a72b.png

I am wondering , is someone using someone else's picture or are they actually the same person with 2 seller accounts ?  Any thoughts ?

DTA sells across multiple venues including Ebay, Amazon, Hipcomics, Abebooks and probably others as well as his website (which is cheaper than other listed prices on the other sites).  If you sign up for the newsletter on his site, he sometimes runs special discount code sales).  I believe his son runs a lot of the business and is the one who posts here.

Edited by telerites

They're both dta collectibles, no shenanigans.  Was watching a dtacoll comic for a long while but finally bought it from the topnotch account instead as I figured that would be same money as best price from the dtacoll 'make offer' listing.

Comic arrived yesterday, happy I bought it.

The two accounts probably are for more exposure for same comic and/or taking advantage of promotional offer as waaaghboss post shows.

Edited by vheflin

I've bought from David T Alexander Collectibles  a number of times.  If you see one of his listings on eBay, generally it'll be cheaper on his website, and then you can use the make offer feature to get maybe another 20% off.

10 hours ago, fifties said:

I've bought from David T Alexander Collectibles  a number of times.  If you see one of his listings on eBay, generally it'll be cheaper on his website, and then you can use the make offer feature to get maybe another 20% off.

Then it's only 25% over FMV and 2 grades lower than described!

2 hours ago, buttock said:

Then it's only 25% over FMV and 2 grades lower than described!

I would agree that his grading & price definitely favors himself, so I use the make offer option to show a price I feel is commensurate with the actual apparent grade of the book.

I recently emailed DTA through eBay to see if he was aware of the other seller listing the same item. He said he has a contract with the other seller?

I’m guessing it’s a win-win for the DTA. If an unaware buyer sees the lower listing (not realizing the higher priced listing is the exact same book) maybe they will jump on the lower listing, thinking they got a great deal.

If by some chance a buyer purchases the higher priced listing, the other guy makes a commission and DTA still gets his desired price, but the buyer is unaware he/she paid extra for a commission.

Edited by thewritestuff