• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading questions on a TOS #39
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Got this in the mail today from an ebay purchase . Full  disclosure bought for 3k with the intent of getting graded to replace my current CGC 1.5 with a detached cover. Was dismayed upon inspection to find that the book I just bought is detached at the top staple. The seller specifically said in a message that the cover staples were loose but attached. 

A couple questions. Can anyone give an estimate of what it would grade at? I feel I need at least a 2.0 for it to be worthwhile as an upgrade. 

Also, I saw some older threads about this and did my own research and found examples, but can anyone confirm that in a lower grade the detached top staple would be noted on the label? I assume it wouldn't be qualified due to the lower grade. 

Lastly, since the seller was incorrect about the top staple is it reasonable to ask for a credit? I let him know of the issue and that I'm leaning towards returning and his response was that I can return it and he'll just get it graded and sell it for more money . No apology or "aw man I'm sorry to hear that" or anything.  Although to complicate matters he did credit me $225 when I bought it to wave the sales tax. 

I appreciate any input on my many questions! 

0422202125_HDR~2.jpg

0422202124c.jpg

0422202124~2.jpg

0422202124a~2.jpg

Edited by serling1978

I see a CGC 1.0, which has a completely detached cover sold for $3850 on March 10th.  Your copy looks nicer than a 1.0.  Either a 1.5 or a 2.0.  Maybe have an expert look at it to make sure there is no color touch on the cover and you should check to make sure its complete.  If so I think you did okay.  The issue is how the person described the book.  Just contact the seller.  If you could return a couple hundred bucks I think you got a reasonable deal.

You don't post pictures of the back cover - and if you want a "please grade me" it really should be posted on that forum

I think the book is a 2.0. A good day 2.5. At 2.0 the cover being detached from one staple  is probably having near zero affect on the grade. The long tear is probably a bigger defect than the staple pull. 

It will not get a green label because of the cover being detached from one staple. The staple detachment probably will be noted on the label. 

The seller has already given his answer so it doesn't really matter about the partial refund question. It was reasonable to ask, since you were told that the cover was attached at both staples. 

Edited by Tony S

Thanks for the input so far. Sorry for putting this in the wrong forum and no back cover pic. Honestly I didn't want to take it out again and continue to handle it before making a decision on keeping it. The back cover has no significant wear or tears or missing pieces for what it's worth. 

One other thing I forgot to ask. The splash page has a random name written on it from some kid it looks like. I assume/hope CGC won't note that on the label (I just like a clean label without a bunch of "asterisks"). I've seen where if an artist's name is written it will be noted but I'm guessing a random previous owners name isn't treated the same way. Can anyone confirm ? 

33 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

One other thing I forgot to ask. The splash page has a random name written on it from some kid it looks like. I assume/hope CGC won't note that on the label (I just like a clean label without a bunch of "asterisks"). I've seen where if an artist's name is written it will be noted but I'm guessing a random previous owners name isn't treated the same way. Can anyone confirm ? 

I wouldn't think there is much to worry about unless it's written in big marker that bleeds through pages. If it's written in pen and obviously not an attempt at restoration,  I don't see any issue. It's just a cool part of the books history

Edited by KCOComics

58 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Noted for next time. My wife has given me many lessons in taking constructive feedback so I feel confident I won't make the same mistake twice 😬

I see no cause for color touch concerns, no tells for it. Also, no trim or external signs of that right edge cover tear being sealed or an attempt to seal it. Not externally, but without a clean scan of the inside cover, that can't be ruled out 100%.

7 hours ago, serling1978 said:

That may get you a note on the label. It would be in lower case letters, however, since the book shouldn't be Qualified (assuming there's nothing missing from the interior).

There's nothing missing from the interior, right?

12 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

That may get you a note on the label. It would be in lower case letters, however, since the book shouldn't be Qualified (assuming there's nothing missing from the interior).

There's nothing missing from the interior, right?

Correct. I've owned multiple copies over time and the interior looks complete. I hope the name doesn't get mentioned on the label but we'll see I guess.

17 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Correct. I've owned multiple copies over time and the interior looks complete. I hope the name doesn't get mentioned on the label but we'll see I guess.

When you submit it, you may want to think about putting a note on the bag concerning the top staple detachment and the tear on the upper right edge. Graders can easily get distracted and a little heads-up can make a big difference.

I wish you the best of luck, and please let us know how it works out...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

When you submit it, you may want to think about putting a note on the bag concerning the top staple detachment and the tear on the upper right edge. Graders can easily get distracted and a little heads-up can make a big difference.

I wish you the best of luck, and please let us know how it works out...

Can you clarify for me how that would help? Sorry maybe I'm being dense. Legitimately asking. 

If The Lion's Den doesn't get back to this, I think  it was a reference to a "Handle with care" type warning for the grader.  To make them aware that there is a staple detached and a torn cover, to handle very gently when removing from the bag so as not to make them any worse.  

But if it was to make a different point entirely, I'm hoping The Lion's Den will clarify.

Edited by Lightning55

4 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

If The Lion's Den doesn't get back to this, I think  it was a reference to a "Handle with care" type warning for the grader.  To make them aware that there is a staple detached and a torn cover, to handle very gently when removing from the bag so as not to make them any worse.  

But if it was to make a different point entirely, I'm hoping The Lion's Den will clarify.

Ohhh gotcha. I guess I assumed they handled with extreme care by default, but better safe than sorry. 

4 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Ohhh gotcha. I guess I assumed they handled with extreme care by default, but better safe than sorry. 

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to---thanks for connecting the dots.

Graders are trained to be careful, but there are certain flaws that can be more problematic than others. Tears and detached covers are especially tricky. All it takes is one slight miscalculation and a small tear becomes a large tear, or a cover that's detached from one staple becomes completely detached. And since graders generally move pretty fast, a little heads-up goes a long way toward ensuring the safety of your book. 

I would suggest attaching a note to the bag that at the very least has a warning like this:  FRAGILE---PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE. If you want to get even more specific, you can...  :foryou:

5 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I hope the above explanation meets or exceeds your expectations...  (thumbsu

Very succinct.  A work of art, like a Picasso.  His "genius" was that if you imagined adding or subtracting even a tiny line, it would only detract from the original.