• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest American comic book artists of all time.
2 2

136 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:07 AM, Hieronymus Bosch said:

There's no question that Liefeld is probably one of the most hated artists in comic books, and yet, he's also one of the most loved. It's easy to pile on - the anatomy, lack of feet, the pouches, the guns, etc. 

But to me, Rob was always more of an idea guy than an artist. He brought a LOT of ideas to Marvel and kick started that whole scene. At first his art wasn't too obnoxious (I was personally never a fan), but man he made his comics like a kid in a candy store. 

He's had some BAD instances of art... without a doubt... but the guy has sold more American comic books than Mike Mignola, Art Adams, and Dave Stevens combined.

Is he one of the worst? Well, he certainly didn't get any better...

New Mutants 92.jpg

New Mutants 93.jpg

New Mutants 94.jpg

New Mutants 97.jpg

If Liefeld was drawing it I wasn't buying it.

1 hour ago, JJ-4 said:

If Liefeld was drawing it I wasn't buying it.

I quickly lost interest after New Mutants and stopped buying his books, missing Youngblood 1 onwards.

To the best of my recollection, I haven't bought anything of his since.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:37 PM, Electricmastro said:

I personally don’t think Liefeld necessarily draws bad art, though at least for me, I think he tends to go overboard with details like shading, and draws bulky close-ups and just over the top imagery in general to the point that it can get obnoxiously repetitive after awhile. I still think he draws decent, if not, serviceable art when best consumed in short bursts though:

X-Force #4 (1991):

lYV8IYo.jpg

Youngblood #4 (1993):

CWilBHw.jpg

Youngblood Strikefile #2 (1993):

xFlpBkf.jpg

Terrible! Look at their feet, jeez he cant draw for sheit.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Terrible! Look at their feet, jeez he cant draw for sheit.

Liefeld actually homaged the Gil Kane cover to Captain America #181 in Bloodstrike #2, and I suppose this can more clearly show how Liefeld draws feet/shoes to compared to other artists like Kane, with how stubby Liefeld’s can come across.

BVZz3eW.jpg

eI09Wxp.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:32 AM, William-James88 said:

Jr Jr is my number 1 pick for worst artist, i just don't get the appeal, it's really ugly art.

And while modern artists, I must say Jim Lee and Mike Mignola would be on my list for best American artist of all time.

Buddy, if Romita Jr is your #1 pick for worst artist, I'd sure hate to find out who's your favourite.  There are dozens upon dozens of artists I can name who are far worse than Romita Jr.

poster.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:56 AM, joeypost said:

Liefeld and Romita Jr. should occupy the first 4 spots. Each getting an honorable mention for spots 3 and 4. 

Romita Jr. ruined World War Hulk. 

Joey, I luv ya buddy, but ya gotta put on your reading glasses when looking at comics.  you say romita jr ruined world war hulk?  I don't think so...

ix2kMmYy_1001191359171gpaiadd[1].jpg

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Joey, I luv ya buddy, but ya gotta put on your reading glasses when looking at comics.  you say romita jr ruined world war hulk?  I don't think so...

That final fight with Senty is the best example I have seen of lazy pencilling. It ends up looking like that left hand side pic you posted above, making what would have been the climactic moment look like diarrhea.

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (11)

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (14)

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (18)

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (19)

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

And that’s why there is chocolate and vanilla. 
👍

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

That final fight with Senty is the best example I have seen of lazy pencilling. It ends up looking like that left hand side pic you posted above, making what would have been the climactic moment look like diarrhea.

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (11)

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (14)

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (18)

World War Hulk vs The Sentry (19)

I could show you/ say the same thing with just about any Kirby battle page

On 6/7/2020 at 3:50 AM, Electricmastro said:

Liefeld actually homaged the Gil Kane cover to Captain America #181 in Bloodstrike #2

Swipe rather than homage.

My fav's were always:

Todd McFarlane

Arthur Adams

Jim Lee

...with a soft spot for Whilce Portacio in the 90's

The guy who did Gen 13 in the 90's was pretty good too, dont remember who it was though.

...and Sal Buscema was the worst