• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest American comic book artists of all time.
2 2

136 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Senormac said:

Kirby has to be #1, I mean, c'mon, he is called The King

It's 2 down that is the question 

At the risk of being stoned to death as an infidel, I disagree.  I give Kirby his due for possibly being the fastest comic artist, the one the most ideas, a risk taker, but IMHO his artwork to be crude, jarring, and, well, just plain old ugly.

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
17 hours ago, Senormac said:

Kirby has to be #1, I mean, c'mon, he is called The King

It's 2 down that is the question 

At the risk of being stoned to death as an infidel, I disagree.  I give Kirby his due for possibly being the fastest comic artist, the one the most ideas, a risk taker, but IMHO his artwork to be crude, jarring, and, well, just plain old ugly.

I think you answered the question by your response.  Who else could being stoned to death for omitting is there?  

I mean, Im taking the thread title to mean..... who is the GREATEST, not who is my favorite. 

Kirby did it all, for the longest, and with the most publishers, and even served in WW2 !!  That's of picture of greatness in my thinking

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yup.  Definitely another polarising art style, that has become clear through many comments made over time, though for me he's in the opposing, creative genius category.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, Senormac said:

I think you answered the question by your response.  Who else could being stoned to death for omitting is there?  

I mean, Im taking the thread title to mean..... who is the GREATEST, not who is my favorite. 

Kirby did it all, for the longest, and with the most publishers, and even served in WW2 !!  That's of picture of greatness in my thinking

Well, no, not quite.  See, he wasn’t the greatest comics painter or the greatest at anatomy.  In fact, far from it, but he did have other qualities as an artist that made him the greatest to many.

again, I will give the man his props, but To call him the greatest comic book artist doesn’t sit right with me.

11 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
35 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Well, no, not quite.  See, he wasn’t the greatest comics painter or the greatest at anatomy.  In fact, far from it, but he did have other qualities as an artist that made him the greatest to many.

again, I will give the man his props, but To call him the greatest comic book artist doesn’t sit right with me.

Hmmm?  The greatest at anatomy ?  What does a great hand look like ?  Or a great leg ?  

I think greatness comes with the mark you have left on the field after you are gone and your body of work can be viewed and weighed.

Greatness IMO is a very LARGE thing.  And again, it seems the word "favorite" should have been used in the thread title instead of "greatest"  

21 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Most valuable creator/contributor?  I’m reluctant to say “best” or “greatest” to questions like these.

40 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  Definitely another polarising art style, that has become clear through many comments made over time, though for me he's in the opposing, creative genius category.

opposing ?  please explain bloke :) 

On 4/27/2020 at 7:04 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think the majority of Kirby’s praise is mainly rooted in the characters he helped create, his innovations, and imagination in general, not necessarily as much because of his drawing quality, which I recall sometimes being described as blocky and jagged, and not quite in an appealing sort of way either. That’s probably more apparent with his earlier art than his later art if you ask me though, because I feel that his art for issues such as Devil Dinosaur #4 (July, 1978) is genuinely something to behold:

fOEBHmu.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

8 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Hmmm?  The greatest at anatomy ?  What does a great hand look like ?  Or a great leg ?  

I think greatness comes with the mark you have left on the field after you are gone and your body of work can be viewed and weighed.

Greatness IMO is a very LARGE thing.  And again, it seems the word "favorite" should have been used in the thread title instead of "greatest"  

Indeed, greatest is a very large thing.  I haven’t compared Kirby against my favourite artist or group of artists that I hold in higher regard than Kirby.

i will say that a great hand or a great leg doesn’t look anything like what Kirby drew.  You’ll have to give me that one.

9 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Indeed, greatest is a very large thing.  I haven’t compared Kirby against my favourite artist or group of artists that I hold in higher regard than Kirby.

i will say that a great hand or a great leg doesn’t look anything like what Kirby drew.  You’ll have to give me that one.

I do feel like mentioning that the way Alex Ross paints arms, at least with Thor, impressed me:

37RjeTj.jpg

1W8yDAY.jpg

SAZyXw8.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:
2 hours ago, Senormac said:

opposing ?  please explain bloke :) 

Polar opposite opinion.

On my top 10 list.

(thumbsu

I think his work for Marvel alone puts him right up there at the top myself.

And he is not my favorite artist, just the greatest !! :grin:

Senormac’s profile pic reminded me, Jack Cole’s art for Plastic Man:

Police Comics #11 (1942):

otUy4Z3.jpg

Police Comics #30 (1944):

GzxESan.jpg

Police Comics #47 (1945):

tIFE71g.jpg

Police Comics #58 (1946):

cSaqG0Z.jpg

Police Comics #61 (1946):

0ylLuEH.jpg

Police Comics #68 (1947):

b5DhVMm.jpg

Police Comics #79 (1948):

iLuKg3H.jpg

Police Comics #81 (1948):

Kkxw30y.jpg

Police Comics #83 (1948):

JZa01R4.jpg

Plastic Man #4 (1946):

obQzgRH.jpg

Plastic Man #10 (1947):

rIhSArK.jpg

Plastic Man #13 (1948):

xZAWxcs.jpg

Plastic Man #19 (1949):

YOqK5nv.jpg

Plastic Man #22 (1950):

03x54L6.jpg

Plastic Man #23 (1950):

P7iLA1A.jpg

Sweet !!  That's some good stuff there !!  I was kinda bummed that the DC Plastic Man Archieves only went to 8.  There is some fantastic Cole Plastic Man work that could fill at least a couple more volumes

2 hours ago, Senormac said:

Sweet !!  That's some good stuff there !!  I was kinda bummed that the DC Plastic Man Archieves only went to 8.  There is some fantastic Cole Plastic Man work that could fill at least a couple more volumes

Yeah.

Also, in regards to Plastic Man’s sidekick, Woozy Winks, I just remembered the funny panel from Plastic Man #9 (1947) in which Cole draws him bouncing around like a ping pong ball:

5Z3EwiV.jpg

11 hours ago, MR SigS said:

Has Burne Hogarth been mentioned?

Also, wouldn't time need to end before this topic can be truly answered? hm

6Iah2ed.jpg

Hogarth was pretty spectacular.  His Tarzan work  was :applause:

On 4/27/2020 at 12:06 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I'll give it to you.  BWS is best at that IMO.  

Still, I checked out Jack Kirby on Wikipedia and was blown away.  I mean, he has done/worked on way, WAY more things than I ever knew about.

I challenge anyone to "Wiki Measure" their favorite guy against Jack and show us why/how their guy is greater.  

BTW...…  who is your favorite ?  :popcorn: