• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS only for pressing SS books? Thats ridiculous.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

So I've learned that a CGC Witness can crack a slab and get a second signature added, but they can't crack it and press it for regrading? What the hell is that? 

I was then told that the only ones that can crack an SS book and press it are CCS. 

Look its lovely that CCS offers pressing and all that, but they aren't anywhere near the best. My books for the McFarlane signing would have been better pressed by a fat guy sitting on them in a sauna. 

What is the logic in not certifying pressers to do SS books? Sign then up the same way you do regular witnesses, same criteria. At least they'll do it right. 

• Administrator

Hi, thanks for your message.  A book can only retain the Signature Series label if the slab is cracked out by an authorized CGC representative at the CGC booth and from there the book remains with a CGC representative who would witness the 2nd signature and bring the book back to our booth.  If the book leaves CGC's custody at any time before it can be regraded and slabbed then it will be disqualified for the signature series label.  That is the only way that we can be 100% sure that signature is authentic and the book has not been tampered with in any way.  Unfortunately, there is no way around this policy.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thanks!

That doesn't seem true, sorry. 

A witness authorized by CGC (store I guess, or whatever) can crack a yellow label and add a signature too, and have it resubmitted too, and it doesn't have to be at the CGC booth. I've had it done quite often. 

So what I don't understand, is why can't CGC give some of the pressing companies out there with the same authority? CCS is not very good compared to the top pressing and cleaning guys out there, so why not authorize them as witnesses so people can get their SS books done for a potential higher grade?

• Administrator

Hi, I think you are confusing a CGC witness with a CGC authorized Facilitator.  Facilitator's are authorized dealers with CGC that have received special approval to provide their own approved witnesses and can submit books to CGC for customers so they can get signature series labels when CGC is not attending a particular event.  A witness is just an individual that has been approved by CGC to work with us at events to witness signatures and sign off on a customer's form verifying the signature has been witnessed. 

Unfortunately, we have no plans at this time to authorize any other pressing companies to submit books to CGC and still have books retain the signature series label. 

Thanks, 

You're right Jennifer, I got my terms confused. Thanks for the clarification, appreciate that!

Regarding having no plans for it, I think it should be run up the flagpole. I submitted a bunch of books for the Todd signing, and the press they got was really weak, resulting in lower grades. I wwas told my only option is to send them back and have CCS do them again. Why? They are likely just going to do the same thing and my grades won't change. 

Authorizing a few pressers to crack witness books would benefit a lot of your customers. :)

Googling found this topic for me as I have a couple SS books that I would like pressed while retaining their SS label.

From my view, if a business can start a chain of custody with your SS series with their own in house signing, and then send those in to CGC to receive SS labels, they should also be able to receive an already sealed CGC SS comic and start a new chain of custody by opening those cases and adding a new sig and/or cleaning and/or pressing if they also offer those services in house. 

Allowing them to create a new chain of custody with new books but not start an updated one with already graded CGC SS books doesn't make sense from a business model, not to mention the potential added revenue stream for CGC. Want to use a non-CCS service? no problem but there will be a $4.95 - $9.95 upcharge per book, it would all go to CGC and you would get a revenue boost without having to do anything aside from some new paperwork and website updates.

CGC wins, the customer base wins, there is no downside to this business model. CCS will stay plenty busy and some people who won't use CCS will generate new revenue in fees for CGC that would otherwise never be generated. win/win.