• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are PX Preview comics 4th prints?

8 posts in this topic

I just got back a px preview exclusive comic that they made a limited number of prints of and overall I was very happy with my first time experience with CGC but I'm confused about this comic.  It has the cover of the 1st print but it was labeled as a 4th print by cgc.  I don't know a lot about these things but I'm a bit surprised.  If it's a 4th print, why do they call it a preview and why does it have the 1st print cover?

One more thing that was odd about my first experience with cgc...  I send in two comics that looked like they were downgraded because they were signed by the artist...    Really?  Hell, you would think that would make it a 10.2 not bring it down...

11 hours ago, JoachimWest said:

One more thing that was odd about my first experience with cgc...  I send in two comics that looked like they were downgraded because they were signed by the artist...    Really?  Hell, you would think that would make it a 10.2 not bring it down...

No, they were signed by somebody. If CGC doesn't witness it, it's just somebody scribbling on a book. 

Thanks for the response Juno Beach.  Personally, I understand why they might have that policy (they make money selling signatures) but I don't think it makes sense.   It isn't the case that if CGC doesn't witness it that it's just someone scribbling in a book.  I'm glad that I understand that that's their policy now though.  I wish I had understood it before-hand.

If they're what I think they are, they're not a Preview of the comic they are Diamond PX Previews variants

of the same issue.  Last one I had was Thanos #1 - Diamond Previews PX C2E2 variant

Diamond Previews is the magazine that has all the future solicitations in. Check Previews World online

Edited by TheSpud
spelling

19 hours ago, JoachimWest said:

Thanks for the response Juno Beach.  Personally, I understand why they might have that policy (they make money selling signatures) but I don't think it makes sense.   It isn't the case that if CGC doesn't witness it that it's just someone scribbling in a book.  I'm glad that I understand that that's their policy now though.  I wish I had understood it before-hand.

Yeah, it's just their policy. Other slab sites treat signatures differently. 

What book are you talking about anyways?

PX stands for “Previews Exclusive” and simply indicates that the item was not offered through other distributors originally. It was only offered through Diamond’s monthly catalog named “Previews”. 

The PX tag gets applied to all manner of merchandise. And is a way for specialty shops to have items they know won’t be available at Walmart or Target or Hot Topic, which provides incentive for customers to visit comic shops. 

My shop carries around 140 different comic t-shirt designs. Some of those designs are also sold at Hot Topic and other mass market retailers. But the PX designs aren’t. They may have been manufactured by the same folks making shirts sold elsewhere. But those specific designs are only through Diamond. 

Same with PX Funko Pops, PX knit caps, PX action figures, and yes, PX variant comics. But the PX tag doesn’t indicate the item was an advance version of the product. Just indicates where it was (and was not) distributed.

I just wanted to give everyone an update.  I contacted CGC and showed them the image that I found on ebay and told them about the 4th print thing and they were very easy to work with and very nice and they are going to switch out the label for one says "convention print" instead of "4th print".  I think I'm going to pay an extra 5 dollars and get them to do a fancy label as well.  I didn't talk about the signature thing on my two Damned comics because 9.8 isn't bad.  I learned my lesson on that.   I also think I might send in some of those venom vs carnage books that clayton crain did.  Now I just have to figure out which ones to send in, I suppose I'll send in the ones where Toxin has his first appearance.  Thank you everyone who responded to me here for your comments and your insight and advice.