• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, How Does One Get Expensive Comics Insured for Shipping?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, comicdonna said:

My comment was about this line.

have buyer wire me money or pay friends and family so if it doesn't get there it's not my problem. 

I pack the book safe but if it gets lost or hung up in their customs for weeks or months that is not anything I can control. I usually sale uncommon items so if they want it I am the only option and would much rather sell to usa buyer. I want it to get there safe and it usually does and want them as repeat customer. The problem is with over sea customers that the likely hood that they are a scammer increases. Get all the insurance you want but it's going to be more like hey I got the package. It arrived safe and on time undamaged but instead of being xmen 1 from silver age that I bought I the seller sent me a xmen 1 from 90s. I want my real xmen 1 or a refund. Post office insurance isn't going to cover that.

1 hour ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far. CIS looks like the way to go for comics, but they only deal within the US.

So if you're shipping internationally they won't insure?

5 hours ago, CDN COLLECTOR said:

Did you end up getting your shipment insured?  Which insurance provider did you use?  

Anyone from Canada know of any insurance providers that we can use when CGC sends back graded books?  

I use CGCs FedEx option for shipping and never have a problem 

You guys know that when the parcel changes carrier, insurance is void right?

As soon as Aust Post hands over to USPS at the airport - insurance is void

As soon as USPS hands over the other way - insurance is void.

I had a stand up row in the PO but they were adamant - once a parcel leaves the host carrier (international obviously) insurance coverage ceases.

Oh and good luck claiming with Fedex unless you have a receipt from a 'recognised official seller' - whatever than means.

I just send $40k worth to USA - with no insurance (tracked and guaranteed 48 hrs) - but Aust Post Coverage ceased (max $5000) as soon as it went on an American (or UK or wherever) airplane. I paid the premium for guaranteed 48 hr delivery as its the safest way.

It's pretty much impossible to claim, as Postal Services do their damndest to decline, decline, decline until you give up, or they find it.

Next time, I'm waiting until Covid is under control (god knows when) and flying over - its cheaper than the damn insurance for high value books.

I will say that Heritage were very helpful, and arranged everything through their insurance - but obviously you have to consign with them for them to help you.

Some dealers on here have their own Fedex accounts, so they may be worth reaching out to.

2c

On 4/24/2020 at 6:39 PM, Primetime said:

any collectibles I ship or are shipped to me are covered with my Collect Insure policy . For $1000, I can send USPS Priority Mail w/signature and it's covered for up to $2500. If I needed more than $2500 coverage, I just need to ship USPS Express w/signature or Registered w/signature or FedEx Overnight w/signature and it's covered for up to $60k per package. 

I also read in CIS policy that insurance is covered both ways. 

So how does one get something sent back from CGC using, say, Registered Mail, and not have to pay the additional insurance through them?

1 hour ago, CatskillMike said:

I also read in CIS policy that insurance is covered both ways. 

So how does one get something sent back from CGC using, say, Registered Mail, and not have to pay the additional insurance through them?

Yes, I always request to cgc that I only need the $100 min insurance to get the signature and CIS has the rest. I’m already paying CIS to cover me so I don’t need to double up with USPS for any full coverage. 

Edited by Primetime

On 4/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, CDN COLLECTOR said:

Did you end up getting your shipment insured?  Which insurance provider did you use?  

Anyone from Canada know of any insurance providers that we can use when CGC sends back graded books?  

Hello,

No, I did not. But an acquaintance from the OA circle referred me to someone who he used for shipping insurance. I'd have to hunt down the info if you are interested.

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

8 hours ago, Primetime said:

Yes, I always request to cgc that I only need the $100 min insurance to get the signature and CIS has the rest. I’m already paying CIS to cover me so I don’t need to double up with USPS for any full coverage. 

So, you have to call that request in?  So the invoice reflects the (much lower) shipping charge? I do not see an option for just $100 on Registered Mail.  I do see it on FEDEX though, but you HAVE to have a signature, so is there a FEDEX option always requires a signature?

Apologies to the OP, since this is not Canadian.

3 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

So, you have to call that request in?  So the invoice reflects the (much lower) shipping charge? I do not see an option for just $100 on Registered Mail.  I do see it on FEDEX though, but you HAVE to have a signature, so is there a FEDEX option always requires a signature?

Apologies to the OP, since this is not Canadian.

Yes for CIS Insurance to cover $2500 or more, there has to be a signature. In past, I have had to explain to CGC at shows when dropping off books or via phone that I don’t need the full coverage through USPS or FedEx.