• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st full appearance of The Beyonder?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

I'm curious about this one, as I just don't know, as well as being unsure whether I've missed an issue - more so that CGC hasn't acknowledged it, or at least from what I'm aware of ~

Secret Wars #1

Appears as an unseen being speaking to the various heroes and villains.

Spoiler

0fMp5HQ3YpRxNc6CGnxT1T6eJCPTNpZwmE7aM6M_

Secret Wars II #1

His silhouette appears on the front cover, and his shadowy appearance is seen by Molecule Man a few pages on.

Spoiler

RCO001.jpg

RCO005.jpg

Secret Wars II #2

He appears on the front cover with energy emitting about him, and first appears in human form.

Spoiler

RCO002.jpg

RCO003.jpg

Secret Wars II #3

He takes a permanent form, for which he remained for his entirely: that of black hair, etc.

Spoiler

RCO014_w.jpg

RCO015.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken in some form?

All comments are welcomed ~

Edited by Bart Allen

52 minutes ago, Comixroc said:

I’ve always wondered about this as well.🤔

I’ve never seen CGC make a note about his first appearance.  I’ve always assumed it was SW #1...

I'm curious too - just need a second opinion lol 

Personally, I'm analysing this as how I would with CGC's criterion of both Jessica Cruz and Mister Mind:

Secret Wars #1

Should 100% be classified as "1st appearance (voice) of Beyonder.", similar to how Captain Marvel Adventures #22 is classified as "1st appearance (voice) of Mister Mind."

Secret Wars II #1

Should be classified as "1st appearance of Beyonder in one-panel cameo (face not revealed).", as how CGC describes Green Lantern #20 as: "1st appearance of Jessica Cruz in one-panel cameo (face not revealed)."

Secret Wars II #2

Should be noted as "1st full appearance of Beyonder".

597e29fee086dfd0b7e638e55e69c527.jpg

Edited by Bart Allen

4 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

I'm curious too - just need a second opinion lol 

Personally, I'm analysing this as how I would with CGC's criterion of both Jessica Cruz and Mister Mind:

Secret Wars #1

Should 100% be classified as "1st appearance (voice) of Beyonder.", similar to how Captain Marvel Adventures #22 is classified as "1st appearance (voice) of Mister Mind."

Secret Wars II #1

Should be classified as "1st appearance of Beyonder in one-panel cameo (face not revealed).", as how CGC describes Green Lantern #20 as: "1st appearance of Jessica Cruz in one-panel cameo (face not revealed)."

Secret Wars II #2

Should be noted as "1st full appearance of Beyonder".

597e29fee086dfd0b7e638e55e69c527.jpg

Well said.  I agree.  Let’s see what the opinions of our fellow members are.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

The eventual creation of a humanoid body doesn't define the Beyonder. The Beyonder's first appearance is MSHSW #1. Period.

Perhaps, though I could use the Anti-Monitor as an example, but I'll use Venom, though, as you could argue the eventual creation of a vessel doesn't define Venom:

Amazing Spider-Man #252

1st appearance of black costume.

Amazing Spider-Man #299

Venom cameo.

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Origin & first full appearance of Venom.

1 hour ago, Comixroc said:

Well said.  I agree.  Let’s see what the opinions of our fellow members are.

I'm waiting with bated breath lol

Edited by Bart Allen

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

The eventual creation of a humanoid body doesn't define the Beyonder. The Beyonder's first appearance is MSHSW #1. Period.

I appreciate your opinion.  And I do agree it should be SW 1.  However, I do believe there is a little room for more detail.  I would argue his humanoid form could be listed as “first appearance as human”.  

Just now, Comixroc said:

I appreciate your opinion.  And I do agree it should be SW 1.  However, I do believe there is a little room for more detail.  I would argue his humanoid form could be listed as “first appearance as human”.  

That's why I altered the title just for some specificity in conjunction to the OP - but my point is that that would then discredit what CGC have done with the initial Venom appearances (even though CGC is subject to change lol) ~ 

2 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Perhaps, though I could use the Anti-Monitor as an example, but I'll use Venom

I guess the Anti-Monitor is slightly comparable, but the symbiotes are definitely physical beings which bond with other physical beings. The Beyonder was literally his own dimension, to which he abducted everyone for the Secret Wars.

1 hour ago, Comixroc said:

I would argue his humanoid form could be listed as “first appearance as human”.  

Then what? Garfield Logan's "first appearance as tiger" or Mystique's "first appearance as Wolverine" or...

The Beyonder knew so little about physical, human existence that poor Spidey had to explain to him that he needed to use the bathroom and what to do in there!

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Then what? Garfield Logan's "first appearance as tiger" or Mystique's "first appearance as Wolverine" or...

The Beyonder knew so little about physical, human existence that poor Spidey had to explain to him that he needed to use the bathroom and what to do in there!

Yes, I think noting more specifics, like those you mentioned above, would be cool.  Just my opinion, though.

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Also, when specific changes to a character are not included on the CGC label, it feels like something is missing.  Thor 339 does not mention “first appearance of Stormbreaker”.  That is a major omission.  

So which one should be the "official" first appearance (collectors choice to invest in)?

Like the first appearance of Wolverine, Hulk 180 (Cameo but still first appearance) or 181 first full appearance... it's confusing (to me at least).

On 10/22/2020 at 3:23 PM, 37141 said:

So which one should be the "official" first appearance (collectors choice to invest in)?

Like the first appearance of Wolverine, Hulk 180 (Cameo but still first appearance) or 181 first full appearance... it's confusing (to me at least).

It depends, In the case of HUlk 180 and 181 there is the cameo appearance in 180 vs 1st Full appearance plus 1st cover appearance in 181. Both important comics but 181 seems to be the clear fan favorite and more substantial of both. Then you have things like ASM 238 and 239 where you have what probably should be considered a 1st cameo  app. of Hobgoblin in 238 but you have a great 1st cover appearance also so that one becomes the favorite. Then you have cases like Conan 23 and 24 where it was incorrectly cited for many many years that 23 was a cameo which it wasn't, Red Sonja appears in most of the book and 24 was cited as 1st appearance but in actuality its just the first cover appearance, which caused the value to flip flop on those 2 books once the word got out. So you are correct and it can be very confusing, my advice is to read the books before making the big investment and decide for yourself which is the more important. Hope that helps.:tink:

On 4/24/2020 at 3:01 PM, Bart Allen said:

Perhaps, though I could use the Anti-Monitor as an example, but I'll use Venom, though, as you could argue the eventual creation of a vessel doesn't define Venom:

Amazing Spider-Man #252

1st appearance of black costume.

Amazing Spider-Man #299

Venom cameo.

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Origin & first full appearance of Venom.

I'm waiting with bated breath lol

I'm with Lazyboy, since the Beyonder is an entity that can take multiple forms, That SW 1 is the book. Venom is a combination of a symbiote and a host, so ASM 300 is the first full appearance. But 298 is the first cameo, and 299 is the second cameo (but full body revealed).

On 4/24/2020 at 7:52 PM, Lazyboy said:

Or first Copycat as Domino?

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

But it's not just words on a page. The Beyonder is an entity without a fixed physical form. That burst of light is the visual depiction of the Beyonder at that time.

OK, understandable in theory. Won't hold the market value though based on that.