• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st full appearance of The Beyonder?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I see some people are confused.

We all know that Web of Spider-Man #18 is the first appearance of Venom and also holds the most hobby value of presumed 1st's. Correct?

I would not call Web of #18 Venom’s “first appearance”.  Yes, we can put 2+2 together, but we don’t see him. There will always be some ambiguity there.  That’s why the market does not push that book through the roof.  However, SW #1 clearly reveals “the one from beyond”.

13 hours ago, Comixroc said:

I would not call Web of #18 Venom’s “first appearance”.  Yes, we can put 2+2 together, but we don’t see him. There will always be some ambiguity there.  That’s why the market does not push that book through the roof.  However, SW #1 clearly reveals “the one from beyond”.

I said I have accepted that. You used a confused emoji on the market value.

Edited by ygogolak

24 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I said I have accepted that. You used a confused emoji on the market value.

Your statement seemed to indicate the market value would not hold on SW 1 being the first appearance of the Beyonder.  It seems to me you believe the “ray of light” showcasing the Beyonder was comparable to the arm of “Venom” in Web of 18, which the market does not reflect as the first appearance of, or even cameo of Venom.

That statement is what I am confused about, and do not agree with.  Again, SW#1 clearly indicates the “ray of light” is the Beyonder.  Web of 18 does not clearly indicate “Venom” or Eddie for that matter.  Two totally different examples.  Hence my confusion.

But let’s clarify, shall we?  Are you saying the Beyonder’s appearance in SW 1 is comparable to the ambiguity of Venom’s appearance in Web of 18?  

4 hours ago, Comixroc said:

Your statement seemed to indicate the market value would not hold on SW 1 being the first appearance of the Beyonder.  It seems to me you believe the “ray of light” showcasing the Beyonder was comparable to the arm of “Venom” in Web of 18, which the market does not reflect as the first appearance of, or even cameo of Venom.

That statement is what I am confused about, and do not agree with.  Again, SW#1 clearly indicates the “ray of light” is the Beyonder.  Web of 18 does not clearly indicate “Venom” or Eddie for that matter.  Two totally different examples.  Hence my confusion.

But let’s clarify, shall we?  Are you saying the Beyonder’s appearance in SW 1 is comparable to the ambiguity of Venom’s appearance in Web of 18?  

More or less. I will buy the light source. I'm saying that I don't believe the market will have any interest in that. Especially if this moves into a media property. I think the trend will be to the human form.

13 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

More or less. I will buy the light source. I'm saying that I don't believe the market will have any interest in that. Especially if this moves into a media property. I think the trend will be to the human form.

Fair enough.  Great discussing comics with you!:foryou:

3 hours ago, Comixroc said:

Also, it was the writer's intention that this arm belonged to the symbiote bonded with a different person. Those plans were later altered. I don't know if it was actually confirmed that it was Eddie Brock's arm (and since "Venom" is the symbiote bonded with Brock, unless that is confirmed, then it might not be properly Venom)

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

hm Well, when was your first appearance @THE_BEYONDER (shrug)

77191CD9-FCA8-4F2F-826E-631C0D12AD41.jpeg

Yup. The Beyonder, as has been mentioned, is a being of energy. That's the first appearance.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #1 is clearly the 1st full appearance of the Beyonder. He appears in energy form, he uses his power to transport many of the Marvel characters away from Earth, he speaks, he destroys a galaxy, he forms a new planet, he even blasts Galactus knocking him unconscious, kicking off one of the best Marvel storylines of the 1980's. It also has the distinction of being a #1 issue.

Secret Wars II was a horrible storyline that was just painful to read, where goofball Beyonder forms a body and walks the Earth to try to better understand humans. No comparison whatsoever.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #1 is clearly the comic to own, with a huge potential of blowing up in value if Disney ever makes a Secret Wars movie. And by the way, it is already blowing up in value over the last few months.

Edited by jharvey

I'm very late to the party. Maybe there's still interest in this.

Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars #1 is definitely the first appearance of the beyonder. He has a form (even though it's light), he has a name, and he has one of, if not the most important role of the story. If that doesn't define the first appearance of a character I don't know what does.

However I do think that his first appearance in his physical form should be mentioned. Not in Secret Wars II #2, but in Captain America #308 which takes place before SW 2, came out the same month, and tells the story of his acquisition of the form. (Which is by the way just a copy of Captain America's body).

Edited by Beyonder123