• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Is This An Edgar Church Book?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your message.  I checked this particular book in our census and it appears that we have graded several of this title and date.  You can check it by entering the certification number on our certification lookup on our website at www.cgccomics.com.  You could also check online for this particular title and date. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thanks!

Hi, you missed the point of the question. It would help to get a comics expert to look at this. I'll explain, anyway- there's a notation on the label indicating that it's from the Edgar Church/Mile High pedigree. It's very specific and very popular provenance. IT's literally the best collection ever amassed.

It's mostly a Golden Age collection (1938 through the mid-1950s, basically) with a hundred or issues (Dells, mostly) running until 1966. This comic is from 1976, two years before Edgar Church died and ten years after the last Church copy I know of (the link I posted earlier is to a research project I did cataloging every known book in the Church collection.). This is unlikely to actually be an Edgar Church copy. 

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

Hi, you missed the point of the question. It would help to get a comics expert to look at this. I'll explain, anyway- there's a notation on the label indicating that it's from the Edgar Church/Mile High pedigree. It's very specific and very popular provenance. IT's literally the best collection ever amassed.

It's mostly a Golden Age collection (1938 through the mid-1950s, basically) with a hundred or issues (Dells, mostly) running until 1966. This comic is from 1976, two years before Edgar Church died and ten years after the last Church copy I know of (the link I posted earlier is to a research project I did cataloging every known book in the Church collection.). This is unlikely to actually be an Edgar Church copy. 

I was thinking the same thing as I read this . . . .

It would be good to see an answer to this before that auction ends and someone less in the know buys a book he thinks is something its not, you would think Comic link would question it ?

6 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

It would be good to see an answer to this before that auction ends and someone less in the know buys a book he thinks is something its not, you would think Comic link would question it ?

Maybe CL is well aware that it's clearly not a Mile High copy from the famed Edgar Church Collection and the reason why there's no mention of this in their auction description. (thumbsu

Or for the CGC label collectors, here's a chance for you to acquire a copy of a Edgar Church "labelled slab" on the cheap for your personal collection.  :devil:   :takeit:  NOT

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, Wipple said:

My guess is mile high II. Also not a recognized pedigree anymore. Maybe a reholder, too lazy to look up census.

That was my thought as well. This may be a Mile High II book, not a real Church copy. 

• Administrator

Hello, I have heard back from our pedigree expert and after his review, he does fee that it is a mistake and the pedigree should not be listed on this label.  We are currently taking steps to get this corrected.  Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention!

16 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

Hello, I have heard back from our pedigree expert and after his review, he does fee that it is a mistake and the pedigree should not be listed on this label.  We are currently taking steps to get this corrected.  Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention!

Thanks for the update. 

54 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

(thumbsu  :applause: