• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your best eBay/Sale cancellation excuse?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Some times I have to scratch my head at some of the excuses that I receive from bidders/buyers who want to cancel eBay orders.  

I just received the following message from a buyer who purchased at auction a New Mutants 87 VF 7.5 2nd Print that hammered at over $12. 

"Apologies but this was unauthorized by someone who had access to the account. Apologies again"

Curious. ¬¬

Let the venting session begin!

1 hour ago, goodrockrich said:

Some times I have to scratch my head at some of the excuses that I receive from bidders/buyers who want to cancel eBay orders.  

........and sometimes I have to scratch my head at some of the excuses that I receive from sellers who want to cancel my ebay auction wins.......:frustrated: 

I could really care less about bidders backing out after the auction is over as the inconvenience is trifling (although Buzzetta brings up a point I was unaware of).  What is more concerning about eBay is the ability for fraudsters to purchase comics, force a return, somehow defraud the seller (empty box, replaced item etc) and eBay will only refund 50 percent of the sale price at max!  Seems like a miracle that it hasn't happened to me already.  For sub $50 items I guess I'm willing to take the risk but the days of selling a $10k book there are over.  The other thing I'm noticing is that you might as well offer the 30 days free returns because it doesn't take much from the buyer for eBay to force the free return on the seller even when the listing states all sales are final.

8 minutes ago, mrc said:

........and sometimes I have to scratch my head at some of the excuses that I receive from sellers who want to cancel my ebay auction wins.......:frustrated: 

I'm sorry but your book was  destroyed by a group of rabid lesbian penguins from outer space and is no longer available. Thank you for your understanding.

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I posted this in the block this buyer thread... but this was last night's exchange for a $150 book. lol 

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 7.26.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 7.45.43 AM.png

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!

14 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I could really care less about bidders backing out after the auction is over as the inconvenience is trifling (although Buzzetta brings up a point I was unaware of).  What is more concerning about eBay is the ability for fraudsters to purchase comics, force a return, somehow defraud the seller (empty box, replaced item etc) and eBay will only refund 50 percent of the sale price at max!  Seems like a miracle that it hasn't happened to me already.  For sub $50 items I guess I'm willing to take the risk but the days of selling a $10k book there are over.  The other thing I'm noticing is that you might as well offer the 30 days free returns because it doesn't take much from the buyer for eBay to force the free return on the seller even when the listing states all sales are final.

eBay has flat out told me that a $10,000 comic should not be sold over their system.  So, while I have items listed on eBay, I have other things listed on ComicLink on the exchange.   If they sell... they sell.  

A couple years ago I had someone win a lot of McFarlane Spider-man.  I think it was #1 black/silver and #13.  Went for like $25 surprisingly.  Then they started messaging me multiple times after they won to make sure they were "authentic".  Finally cancelled because they were concerned about a fake reproduction copies.  :bigsmile:

23 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

by all means-- create yet another ebay thread as this topic has never been addressed.

Can we get some admins who will clean out comics general board? We have old thread that are not only locked at the top of the page but also locked for additional reply --- archive those somewhere!

And these various other threads like the ebay ones covering the exact same thing or other topics like Collectorz software etc---- why can't these be combined down?

Is that asking too much to make the board somewhat more usable? Is anyone else tired of scrolling down 10 threads to find the current topics? Don't get me started over the myriad of COVID19 threads as well.

I find these actions disrespectful of the other members of this board.

Have a Snickers bar, Bro.

I won a set of Avengers Annuals for a song.  A week goes by and I get a refund along with a note telling me the books were her boy friends and he decided not to sell them. When I replied that we had a contract she should honor, I was told that her boyfriend was on the Miami Heat and had jew lawyers on speed dial. Just for fun, I wrote back saying I was going to forward her emails to someone I knew from NY who was then doing talk radio in Miami. Next email informed me that both of them had lots of Jewish friends and one of her boyfriends college teammates was then playing in Israel.  It got too weird for me so I let it go.

A friend won an Omac 1 as the only bidder and was told that the FBI had contacted the seller and said the book was stolen and ordered her to return it to the original owner.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

It got too weird for me so I let it go.

I would have kept going.

11 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I'd love to have a snickers bar "bro" but I cannot eat that food-- it is not part of my renal diet.

why even bother responding to my post? That was rude

I have voiced this concern several times now (crickets)

Exactly. You've complained about this, made people aware of it and the topic was met with total indifference. Might be time to let this go.

About five years ago, I had a deranged Afghan war veteran who purchased my books few times without a single incident until I decided to email him if he would like to add anything.  I would be more than happy to send him more books.

Right after that message I sent,  it was snapped out of it from nowhere.   He threatened me with his guns and he resented my message. He will have the case with his US Veteran Attorneys against me.  I relied him back: My sincere apology. I checked my message to see if I said anything offended you. I didn't see anything wrong here. Please explain me.  His reply was: I am a disabled Afghan War Veteran after completing his third tour of Duty. You treated me like the third world. You have no right to judge my character. If you do it again, I will put my gun up to your AZZ.   I decided to block him immediately with a pounding heartbeat.  Probably it was my highest heart rate pulse ever.  Oddly, he left me a positive feedback with a nice comment.   He scared sh*t out of me.

He never asked me why I blocked him after many weeks later.  I still have his eBay ID on my block list. I never forget his.

12 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

About five years ago, I had a deranged Afghan war veteran who purchased my books few times without a single incident until I decided to email him if he would like to add anything.  I would be more than happy to send him more books.

Right after that message I sent,  it was snapped out of it from nowhere.   He threatened me with his guns and he resented my message. He will have the case with his US Veteran Attorneys against me.  I relied him back: My sincere apology. I checked my message to see if I said anything offended you. I didn't see anything wrong here. Please explain me.  His reply was: I am a disabled Afghan War Veteran after completing his third tour of Duty. You treated me like the third world. You have no right to judge my character. If you do it again, I will put my gun up to your AZZ.   I decided to block him immediately with a pounding heartbeat.  Probably it was my highest heart rate pulse ever.  Oddly, he left me a positive feedback with a nice comment.   He scared sh*t out of me.

He never asked me why I blocked him after many weeks later.  I still have his eBay ID on my block list. I never forget his.

the louder and more vociferous the threat, the less the likelihood of any danger.  In prison people who issue threats are immediately identified as a coward, and targeted.

1 hour ago, kav said:

the louder and more vociferous the threat, the less the likelihood of any danger.  In prison people who issue threats are immediately identified as a coward, and targeted.

Yes.  I have not been to prison but one of my friends has.  He told me in prison you don't shove or get in someone's face, if you are going to do something you do it without warning and you put the hammer on them.  He shoved someone, got in their face, and was beaten senseless.  That's how he learned prison rules.

5 minutes ago, Turnando said:

Yes.  I have not been to prison but one of my friends has.  He told me in prison you don't shove or get in someone's face, if you are going to do something you do it without warning and you put the hammer on them.  He shoved someone, got in their face, and was beaten senseless.  That's how he learned prison rules.

This is what I have read in various prison books.  Plus it makes sense.  Why would you ever give a foe in a closed environment a heads up you were planning an attack?  The motive for issuing a threat is to scare off a foe.  Only a scared/powerless person would attempt that.

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

by all means-- create yet another ebay thread as this topic has never been addressed.

Can we get some admins who will clean out comics general board? We have old thread that are not only locked at the top of the page but also locked for additional reply --- archive those somewhere!

And these various other threads like the ebay ones covering the exact same thing or other topics like Collectorz software etc---- why can't these be combined down?

Is that asking too much to make the board somewhat more usable? Is anyone else tired of scrolling down 10 threads to find the current topics? Don't get me started over the myriad of COVID19 threads as well.

I find these actions disrespectful of the other members of this board.

Just out of curiosity, if you find a thread that is redundant or out of place, why take the time to click on it, make a reply on it and reply on a comment?  Sounds hypocritical on your part for spending the energy on something u hate. Or just attention whoring...  either one. Just my 2c

Edited by god503