• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] All 5 copies of Seduction of the Innocent sold, BUT SOTI comics, plus Baker, Jughead as Elvis STILL AVAILABLE!
10 10

74 posts in this topic

And now we have Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Fredric Wertham, first edition (from 1954), first print, first state (with bibliography). 

The good news is that it has the bibliography. 

More good news is that it's cheaper than the last one I offered. 

The bad news is that the condition is extremely rough. 

It's heavily worn, and the black cloth of the spine is absent. 

Glue stains remain on the cloth binding where tape was removed. 

Tape repairs inside FC and BC. 

Ex-library copy with library cards, stamps, and other markings typical of a former library book. 

The stain in the bottom margin of p. 355 that you see affects a number of pages, but I have no idea what it came from.  Somebody closed a raisin in the book?

Rear hinge loosening.

Rip at the bottom of the page with the illustration of Thing #9 (face stomping).

Name inside FC.  Otherwise unmarked text. 

All 16 illustration pages are present, as is that elusive bibliography (pp. 399-400).

The dust jacket is NOT ORIGINAL TO THE BOOK.  The book is a first printing, and the dust jacket belongs to a second printing book.  The jacket improves the look of the book by hiding the fact that the spine is missing, but it only improves it a tiny bit because the jacket is also in REALLY rough condition with amateur "restoration."  (So amateur that I can't even type that resto word without putting it in quotes).  The jacket has been taped along each edge, and somebody tried to "restore" a missing section (about 20%) of the front of the jacket, by taping a white piece of paper to it and writing out the logo in marker.  I didn't get a photo of the interior of the dust jacket, but I think it's obvious in the photos where the taped-on piece is.  Expect to see a lot of tape inside the DJ.  A previous owner also used marker to "restore" the faded red text on the spine.  

This one's definitely for the budget collector, or it will serve as a placeholder for that day years from now when you find a better copy with the bibliography.

$200  SOLD dinesh_s

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

Edited by SOTIcollector
SOLD

On 4/26/2020 at 4:34 PM, SOTIcollector said:

One big price drop on this one.  Now $150.

Take

second printing of SOTI, with dust jacket.  

Edited by JRBaxter
Clarify take

On 4/26/2020 at 8:56 PM, SOTIcollector said:
On 4/26/2020 at 6:59 PM, vaillant said:

@SOTIcollector: I must remember to link you when i will be able to prepare my WW2 "wartime" sales thread, as I have a rare SOTI-related German item from the postwar. (thumbsu

Thanks, @Valliant, I'd very much appreciate that.  I have lots of US related items and a couple UK ones, but I have nothing SOTI-related from Germany.

It’s a very cool item, I thought to message you but I decided to make it available to everyone in the sales thread – I’ll make sure to give you a heads up beforehand! :)

Here's another cool SOTI-related oddity.

You're familiar with Seduction of the Innocent, which came out in April, 1954, the same month the US Senate held hearings on the dangers of comic books.  You might not know that Wertham's public crusade began in earnest years earlier, when his first big anti-comics article was published in the Saturday Review of Literature, May 29, 1948.  He discussed how dangerous comics were for kids, prompting echoes from other critics of the comics, and putting the comic book industry on the defensive.   That article is the reason you see anti-Wertham editorials in most of the Marvel/Timely/Not-yet-Atlas books from November, 1948 to July, 1949.

Looking for an original copy of the Saturday Review of Literature from May 29, 1948?  Good luck.  Those are really tough to come by.  Here's the next best thing.

Wertham's 1948 article, "The Comics, Very Funny" was reprinted, without illustrations, in The Saturday Review Cavalcade.  Wertham even got prominent billing on the cover.

Here's a low grade copy of Cavalcade, yours for just $15.  SOLD  dinesh_s

IMG_5275.thumb.jpg.341461220952e778e1297b25ea14ea32.jpg

IMG_5277.thumb.jpg.da865ffc49898c0514d78dd41f65f9c6.jpg

IMG_5279.thumb.jpg.d410023dca3dd097384848e4e937a748.jpg

Edited by SOTIcollector
sold

On 4/27/2020 at 7:15 PM, SOTIcollector said:

And now we have Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Fredric Wertham, first edition (from 1954), first print, first state (with bibliography). 

Ex-library copy with library cards, stamps, and other markings typical of a former library book. 

The stain in the bottom margin of p. 355 that you see affects a number of pages, but I have no idea what it came from.  Somebody closed a raisin in the book?

Rear hinge loosening.

Rip at the bottom of the page with the illustration of Thing #9 (face stomping).

All 16 illustration pages are present, as is that elusive bibliography (pp. 399-400).

The dust jacket is NOT ORIGINAL TO THE BOOK.  The book is a first printing, and the dust jacket belongs to a second printing book.  The jacket improves the look of the book by hiding the fact that the spine is missing, but it only improves it a tiny bit because the jacket is also in REALLY rough condition with amateur "restoration."  (So amateur that I can't even type that resto word without putting it in quotes).  The jacket has been taped along each edge, and somebody tried to "restore" a missing section (about 20%) of the front of the jacket, by taping a white piece of paper to it and writing out the logo in marker.  I didn't get a photo of the interior of the dust jacket, but I think it's obvious in the photos where the taped-on piece is.  Expect to see a lot of tape inside the DJ.  A previous owner also used marker to "restore" the faded red text on the spine.  

This one's definitely for the budget collector, or it will serve as a placeholder for that day years from now when you find a better copy with the bibliography.

$200

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

ill take this and the The Saturday Review Cavalcade.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:15 PM, SOTIcollector said:

Rear hinge loosening.

$200

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

The fact that the copy is from a library in Edmonton, AB where I reside is pretty cool. I just wish the spine was in better shape.

Hopefully, you’ll have more copies available soon.

2 hours ago, piper said:

The fact that the copy is from a library in Edmonton, AB where I reside is pretty cool. I just wish the spine was in better shape.

Hopefully, you’ll have more copies available soon.

Thanks for your interest.  That's all the copies of SOTI for this thread, so nothing more very soon.  As you can tell, SOTI is my primary collecting focus, and I do turn up copies from time to time, so it's a good bet I'll be back with more at some point in the future. :)

I thought I was done with the thread, but then I dug this one up.

From 1952, it's a great booklet called "Your Child and Radio, TV, Comics and Movies."   Parents were concerned about more than just comics:  they worried about all the media their kiddies were consuming.  This little guide told them everything they needed to know about how to keep kids "safe".

There's one glaring condition issue:  the cover is completely split at the spine, but still attached.  Basically, everything is split except the part that's held on by the staples.  

$30+$3 shipping and it's yours.  SOLD

IMG_5310.thumb.jpg.2e3c513543c263bcaefbd5432c330355.jpg

IMG_5311.thumb.jpg.2b3031d50f79742f3f8c966660a3eee2.jpg

IMG_5313.thumb.jpg.071b3580eb9de2e21b7cc79c5ad3e650.jpg

IMG_5314.thumb.jpg.3b5a58089e140b2d70545c9b22e06484.jpg

IMG_5312.thumb.jpg.92de8c3855c86a0894f100097874f865.jpg

Edited by SOTIcollector
sold

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

I thought I was done with the thread, but then I dug this one up.

From 1952, it's a great booklet called "Your Child and Radio, TV, Comics and Movies."   Parents were concerned about more than just comics:  they worried about all the media their kiddies were consuming.  This little guide told them everything they needed to know about how to keep kids "safe".

There's one glaring condition issue:  the cover is completely split at the spine, but still attached.  Basically, everything is split except the part that's held on by the staples.  

$30+$3 shipping and it's yours.

IMG_5310.thumb.jpg.2e3c513543c263bcaefbd5432c330355.jpg

IMG_5311.thumb.jpg.2b3031d50f79742f3f8c966660a3eee2.jpg

IMG_5313.thumb.jpg.071b3580eb9de2e21b7cc79c5ad3e650.jpg

IMG_5314.thumb.jpg.3b5a58089e140b2d70545c9b22e06484.jpg

IMG_5312.thumb.jpg.92de8c3855c86a0894f100097874f865.jpg

:takeit: