• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which artist(s) wrote the best stories?

51 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, glendgold said:

Yeah, I like both those guys.  Also Starlin and Simonson.

Funny thing about Starlin is that the stories I liked best were not ones that he drew himself.

How do we factor guys like Chris Ware/ Jeff Lemire/ Arian Tomine /Daniel Clowes into the mix?

Who remembers Bendis started out drawing his own stories?!

Ah, f**k it, it's no contest. Miller gets my vote easy.

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

Funny thing about Starlin is that the stories I liked best were not ones that he drew himself

Ditto.

Others-

Terry Moore

Scott McCloud

Jason Lutes

EDIT: Forgot Eric Shanower and Mike Grell.

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

Who remembers Bendis started out drawing his own stories?!

Now, where's my copy of Jinx?!

Edited by BCarter27

If I may add a follow on to this question, which artists were better at writing stories than their art? Presumably, Bendis is in this mix. Is Miller a better artist or writer? I think Byrne is a better artist, but he has done some solid storylines as I recall. 

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Jack Kirby essentially wrote almost everything he did for Marvel. Mostly, Stan edited and did dialogue; the cool parts of the stories were pure Kirby.

Exactly, and this is one of the reasons I left Jack off my own list.  He was to my mind the best artist/writer in comics...except for the words part.  And words are kinda important.  i recognize that plenty of people love his Fourth World books, and cite great moments in dialogue and narration that come down like the swing of hammers -- and I agree - Jack was great with aphorisms and deep thinking, but I am not that fond of the operatic/biblical syntax he uses.  Stan, for all of his philosophical shortcomings, did better character work -- sometimes.  I'd love to have seen what words Jack would have put  in the Silver Surfer's mouth.