• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four Color #819 15 cent variant...Any info on this??

5 posts in this topic

So I've been upping my game on eBay recently, and started digging through a box of Dell/GK/Whitman stuff I've had forever and never have really sold much out of it.  I think I sold some issues years back that basically paid for the whole long box and I have sat on the rest.  Most know these types of books are pretty hard sells unless you are shipping overseas, or are Barks Duck issues (of which I have a few still I think).  But I digress, as I was going through the box and pulling some out to scan for auction maybe, I noticed this Four Color 819 is the 15 cent variant.  There are no listings on eBay or sold/completed listings either.  A search of MCS, Metropolis and Google in general is not giving me anything.  Book looks to be about a 7.0 due to a dust shadow on outside margin of BC.  Maybe higher?  Any boardies wanna help me out??  I'd appreciate it, thanks! 

1707074888_fourColor_819_7.0_fr.thumb.jpg.30ef4b885274e9841c2e7bb8c4bdd115.jpg55450659_fourColor_819_7.0_bk.thumb.jpg.c6d4dbeb91c00fb395d5f46207ac1169.jpg

I know in the late 50s Dell did an experiment and printed 10 and 15 cent versions of some comics because they were thinking about raising the price on their comics to 15 cents. I think the 15 cent versions were only distributed in certain places to test how they would sell. Of course it failed and the 15 cent versions hardly sold so they dropped that idea fast.

Edited by catman76
words

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

I know in the late 50s Dell did an experiment and printed 10 and 15 cent versions of some comics because they were thinking about raising the price on their comics to 15 cents. I think the 15 cent versions were only distributed in certain places to test how they would sell. Of course it failed and the 15 cent versions hardly sold so they dropped that idea fast.

Yea I did figure that this was price experiment similar to the Marvel .35 cent variants from the Bronze age.  I'm curious if anyone has any experience selling/buying one as there is no sales data to be had in my search.

There is some market for these 15 cent issues, but not nearly as big of a market as the Marvel price variants.  I have had several big collections of Four Colors in recent years, and I noticed the 15 cent variants on quite a few issues between #600 & 900 (give or take a little bit on that range).  There are also a number of back cover variants as well (many issues have an ad for the back cover, and a variant with a single page story or character image).  I'm not sure if many Four Color completists seek these out, but I've gotten better prices on the 15 cent issues (and the non-ad back covers) when I pointed out that they were variants (but again, not something like 10x the normal price, like you'd see on the Marvel variants; more like 1.5-2x in most cases).