• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I think that's a cop out by sellers who do that. "I'm not a professional grader so please look at the pictures... blah, blah, blah".   Hobbyists graded raw books for 30+ years before CGC started up. Grading a book is the most basic nd necessary element in hobbyists communicating condition when conducting trade, and we do it with an organized letter and/or letter and number system, not superlatives like, "Look at this", "Wow", "Unread", and the like, terms that have nothing to do with the grading system for our hobby. Clear large pictures will show us when the seller is off or close to what we, the buyers, feel are accurate grades, and as such, when a seller calls a book "unread/NM", and there's a tan halo around it, we don't even have to wait to get the book in the mail to know it's vastly over-promised. You can see it. But grades are a very important part of the sales details for a comic, and how the seller and buyer grade it will determine if they are in agreement with each others grading and the transaction on a whole.  CGC's opinion comes later, if submitted, but the initial approval period usually involves only whether the buyer and seller are in agreement with the grade given by both of them.

one of my most favorite store owners to my surprise said he's bad with grading.. and that's a guy who's been at it for 30 years.. or maybe he just told me that because he knows me haha

21 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I tried this for the very first time last night.  Didn’t work.

I used to count to 100 then backwards and it really worked.  Now that I'm old it doesnt work any more.  I remember satisfying interactions in my past and that seems to do the trick.

20 minutes ago, kav said:
42 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I tried this for the very first time last night.  Didn’t work.

I used to count to 100 then backwards and it really worked.  Now that I'm old it doesnt work any more.  I remember satisfying interactions in my past and that seems to do the trick.

I'm in my mid-40s and I've only realized lately that I have to think about purposefully relaxing my jaw to fall asleep or else I'm up until my eyes hurt.  So, try focusing on relaxing your jaw.  Counting is optional.

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'm in my mid-40s and I've only realized lately that I have to think about purposefully relaxing my jaw to fall asleep or else I'm up until my eyes hurt.  So, try focusing on relaxing your jaw.  Counting is optional.

I’ll try relaxing my jaw.  I’ve definitely noticed that I sleep with my neck scrunched up into my shoulders.  I’ve been trying to position my head so my neck is stretched.

4 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’ve been trying to position my head so my neck is stretched.

that is how plastic man sleeps and he sleeps like a log.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:20 PM, SpanishBatman said:

check out his website  ...  http://diamondcomicz.com

Might be the same people as the eBay seller.  If someone already pointed that out, sorry, I'm a bit behind on this.  The spelling and grammar look familiar:

💎A Bit About Our Staff💎

Located in the mountains in the beautiful Northwest, our family owned and ran business started over a decade ago with my very knowledgable husband, Joshua. His love for comics started as a young boy who watched his own father collect as well.

As an adult his knowledge grew stronger and he seen the perfect opportunity to make money doing what he truly loves. Thus Diamond Comicz was born.

15 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

If you hadn't noticed this is a CGC forums site, and CGC is designed to enhance the collectors experience, they are a universally respected company....but I'm sure Michael Jordan had haters too

???

If you're insinuating that I'm a "CGC hater", then, you're incorrect. I'm not sure how you inferred that from my post.

Just a friendly reminder that appealing to CGC as "the authority" doesn't work since grading has existed long before the company has.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

???

Just a friendly reminder that appealing to CGC as "the authority" doesn't work since grading has existed long before the company has.

And Hockey existed long before Wayne Gretzky...

The thread is about cracking graded slabs and selling them for opinion grade raws which the opinion is falsely ascertained.

In my opinion that is a pure callous and scumbag move that represents our hobby in a negative light...

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

And Hockey existed long before Wayne Gretzky...

The thread is about cracking graded slabs and selling them for opinion grade raws which the opinion is falsely ascertained.

In my opinion that is a pure callous and scumbag move that represents our hobby in a negative light...

NHL would be the authority - not Wayne Gretzky. CGC would be akin to 1 team's GM.

Are you suggesting that CGC's opinions are the only one that matters? That would be dangerously arrogant IMO.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are you suggesting that CGC's opinions are the only one that matters? That would be dangerously arrogant IMO.

I would take CGCs opinion over some guy cracking their slabs and selling the book as raw at an inflated grade and price to profit for himself

The Crazy Cracker is certainly entitled to his opinion of grade.  But when you move it up several steps consistently on professionally graded specimens, and the visuals indicate it can't possibly be correct (despite camera trickery), it should produce a vote of no confidence. 

The amazing thing is that people are lining up to pay disproportionately high dollars for his comics "of dubious grade".

Edited by Lightning55

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I would take CGCs opinion over some guy cracking their slabs and selling the book as raw at an inflated grade and price to profit for himself

If it is of their opinion that the book is in better condition than CGC appraises, then who is anyone to disagree?

It's the nature of the hobby. If people are going to buy raw comics, I suggest that they educate themselves on grading. Then, they won't have buyer's remorse.