• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

mail.gif

3 minutes ago, kav said:

mail.gif

LOL not to then resell like them.  I've been told that a book that was graded would have been improved with a pressing.  So I was looking into the feasibility of taking it out and having that done.  There is nothing wrong with that, is there?  I do now have a comic collector who is trying to help me with all of this.

Edited by Atticus123

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, this sounds like the withhholding of some pretty relevant and significant information if they just happen to conveniently forget to mention the 8.0 and 8.5 grades in their long 5+ minute spiel on the book.  (tsk)

Yes, although the book may indeed have been kept and stored by the original collector at the bottom of a cedar chest for some 30 year, and then resold some years later to a prominent dealer who kept it for a further 30 years before pulling it out of his bank vault to sell it to this current eBay seller in the video.  Definitely sounds all nice and good except for the big and rather significant gaps as to what happened to the book from the time it was first graded as a CGC 8.0 copy and then finally as a CGC 9.0 graded copy.  In an almost 6-minute spiel on this particular book here, I am sure these two guys here should have been able to set aside at least a few seconds for that rather important fact.  :devil:

Why are we going by polished gem's assertion that these books were either in cedar chests for 50 years or in a refrigerated safe when we know, with irrefutable photo evidence, that is not the case and that these safe stored unread/NM gems were purchased on ebay CGC graded as little as 2 weeks ago? You're giving them the benefit of doubt that these unread/NM gems didn't come from the CGC slabs imaged in this thread that they're pictured in? A complete suspension of belief?

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, this sounds like the withhholding of some pretty relevant and significant information if they just happen to conveniently forget to mention the 8.0 and 8.5 grades in their long 5+ minute spiel on the book.  (tsk)

Yes, although the book may indeed have been kept and stored by the original collector at the bottom of a cedar chest for some 30 year, and then resold some years later to a prominent dealer who kept it for a further 30 years before pulling it out of his bank vault to sell it to this current eBay seller in the video.  Definitely sounds all nice and good except for the big and rather significant gaps as to what happened to the book from the time it was first graded as a CGC 8.0 copy and then finally as a CGC 9.0 graded copy.  In an almost 6-minute spiel on this particular book here, I am sure these two guys here should have been able to set aside at least a few seconds for that rather important fact.  :devil:

We can go back and forth all day about whether he's right, or whether he's wrong. You know who will have the final say, the final answer to that question? His buyers. Once they submit and get the results, and then again once they find this thread to see what they bought and how it was represented to them. My prediction is that he should batten down his hatches because rough seas with choppy waters loom ahead on the CGC/paypal/chargeback horizon. As stated, Funds, patience, cognition. Only now the flawed strategic details are beginning to dawn on him. The flies in his ointment. Buzz, buzz, buzz.

11 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
On 5/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Can you explain what you mean when you say that a slabbed book is 100% backed by CGC?  ???

Especially when CGC clearly states that grading is subjective and only based upon their professional opinion at only the particular point in time when the book crosses their grading table.  :gossip:

That's exactly it...their backing is a book in a CGC slab...

The seller isn't backing anything.

The difference in some cases between a grade of 9.0 and 9.2 is hundreds of dollars, but that isn't CGCs fault, that is the markets fault....

Exactly right as you or any other potential bidder would be bidding based upon the reputation of the CGC brand which tends to carry a high degree of weight in this marketplace.  (thumbsu

So, if bidders are willing to bid higher than current GPA for raw common books that come with unverifiable "dream like" stories behind them, they should remember when they point a finger at somebody else (i.e. the seller in this case here), there's also a few fingers pointing back at themselves also.  hm

The seller is most definitely a scummy dirtbag here, but I simply don't understand why anybody in their right mind would be bidding the kind of dollars they seem to be bidding here, knowing the seediness of the eBay marketplace for raw books.  doh!  :screwy:

27 minutes ago, Atticus123 said:

My books weren't slabbed.  They literally have been in boxes since my brother bought them. It really burned me to see what she did, especially as I am actually selling original owner books.  My guess is that if buyers complain, she refunds but the percentage of ignorant folks probably makes that number low.

So your brother is one of the father-in-laws. Hmm hm

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly right as you or any other potential bidder would be bidding based upon the reputation of the CGC brand which tends to carry a high degree of weight in this marketplace.  (thumbsu

So, if bidders are willing to bid higher than current GPA for raw common books that come with unverifiable "dream like" stories behind them, they should remember when they point a finger at somebody else (i.e. the seller in this case here), there's also a few fingers pointing back at themselves also.  hm

The seller is most definitely a scummy dirtbag here, but I simply don't understand why anybody in their right mind would be bidding the kind of dollars they seem to be bidding here, knowing the seediness of the eBay marketplace for raw books.  doh!  :screwy:

I'm sure buyers have flaked and not paid on certain auctions and I'm sure he's ended up as the high bidder haha

2 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

So your brother is one of the father-in-laws. Hmm hm

Wow, simmer down there.  I am selling my late brother's collection for my family and I already feel like I've been taken advantage of and misled and am just trying to learn a little and get a fair price for the books.  So PLEASE don't imply I am anything like that scumbag.

Just now, littledoom said:

I'm sure buyers have flaked and not paid on certain auctions and I'm sure he's ended up as the high bidder haha

Well, let's hope so then.  (thumbsu

Although the only problem here is that the buyer might possibly end up with a neg on his rating if the seller gives one to him for not paying on a completed auction. :(

38 minutes ago, Atticus123 said:

The worst part is that he is a she

seriously.. where does one even begin to contrive a scam like this.. there must have been some planning starting an ebay account, choosing the name, logo, description story, etc

3 minutes ago, Atticus123 said:

Wow, simmer down there.  I am selling my late brother's collection for my family and I already feel like I've been taken advantage of and misled and am just trying to learn a little and get a fair price for the books.  So PLEASE don't imply I am anything like that scumbag.

Calm down. I was joking. Sorry if I offended you.

We all understand your feeling of being tricked into a bad deal. Use this experience to your advantage, so that in future you'll be able to better price your books. Good luck.

Edited by allthingskryptonite

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

100%

Exactly why I haven't bought a raw book on EBay in a long time. The genuine condition is just too suspect. Nevertheless the seller should be accountable.

1 minute ago, littledoom said:

seriously.. where does one even begin to contrive a scam like this.. there must have been some planning starting an ebay account, choosing the name, logo, description story, etc

It's as bad as people wanting to send you a cheque for your collection, and asking you to use your mobile app to cash the cheque and send them verification of the deposit

6 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Calm down. I was joking. Sorry if I offered you.

We all understand your feeling of being tricked into a bad deal. Use this experience to your advantage, so that in future you'll be able to better price your books. Good luck.

Edited by Atticus123

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's as bad as people wanting to send you a cheque for your collection, and asking you to use your mobile app to cash the cheque and send them verification of the deposit

What is the condition? Ok, I am ok with the price. I am out of town for vacation in Barbados due to a death in the family. Please send your full address so my barley legal assistant Sarah can arrange a pick up. Once the movers acquire the item I will send over a money check order. Sound ok?

1 minute ago, Atticus123 said:

Thanks. This is why I sent the Spotlight to be graded. I'm not able to myself set a grade or a value but if I know it's a 9.0 and see what those sold for then I can put it up there as a buy now/best offer and no one is getting taken advantage of on either end. 

Good luck :)

5 minutes ago, littledoom said:

What is the condition? Ok, I am ok with the price. I am out of town for vacation in Barbados due to a death in the family. Please send your full address so my barley legal assistant Sarah can arrange a pick up. Once the movers acquire the item I will send over a money check order. Sound ok?

^^

5 minutes ago, littledoom said:

What bank do you use?

Oh that's  the same bank I use!!!

(Get cheque with bank name on it)

:roflmao: