• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2020 at 5:51 PM, James J Johnson said:

Yes.  Cracking a book out of a 9.0 CGC slab (like the infamous FF 67 and many others), then listing that same book, representing it as "an unread, perfect gem, put away 50 years ago by the original purchaser, my father", or whomever, is not tangential puffery. From start to finish, it is misrepresentation. Belief in that utterly fraudulent hogwash will likely result in bids far in excess of listing it accurately, "this was CGC graded 9.0, but my belief is that it's an unread 9.6 quality gem". But the seller knows that will not elicit the 3X CGC 9.0 value bids he's shooting for. This is calculated, deliberate material misrepresentation; not puffery, IMO.

Agreed. I don't see anything illegal/fraudulent about cracking the slab if he thinks CGC's 9.0 should have been a 9.4, but don't lie about the back story. I don't think he is obligated to say it once lived in a CGC case though.

Just now, the blob said:

Agreed. I don't see anything illegal/fraudulent about cracking the slab if he thinks CGC's 9.0 should have been a 9.4, but don't lie about the back story. I don't think he is obligated to say it once lived in a CGC case though.

And frequency. What are the chances that you'd get your hands on CGC "undergraded" books almost exclusively, unless two things are incurring. You can't grade, or you have the best or worst luck in the world depending upon whether you've bought it or sold it or submitted it.. 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

As Hank Hill would say, "I tell you wHHHat", I think it's an interesting plot twist that my revelations here about Polished's flim-flam antics indirectly resulted in my saving him from furthering his pursuit of any or all of slab cracker #2s slab-cracked then overgraded raw "gems", you're welcome.   

Edited by James J Johnson

I am so sick of seeing "unread" in descriptions. Unless  you were the one who took it directly off the press and brought it home you can't honestly say whether the book was read. It's time we start asking these sellers if they paged thru the book to make its complete. If they did then the book is as good as read.

4 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I am so sick of seeing "unread" in descriptions. Unless  you were the one who took it directly off the press and brought it home you can't honestly say whether the book was read. It's time we start asking these sellers if they paged thru the book to make its complete. If they did then the book is as good as read.

My Thor 339s are, in fact, unread. I bought them still in their paper wrapper from the distributor. Alas, that does not mean they are all 9.8s....

23 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

And is typical, "unread" often is used to describe a book in a state of condition that is inversely proportionate to what one would think was "unread". 

1 hour ago, CJ Design said:

Now flooding craigslist, buying collections under Silver Valley Comics...even one here in NE Wisconsin. His eBay listings now use "a one owner collection from an old man in NY who had an attic full of brand new vintage books still banded in paper." sheesh.

Ouch. It seems he has a sense of humor, if not honor.

Now flooding craigslist, buying collections under Silver Valley Comics...even one here in NE Wisconsin. His eBay listings now use "a one owner collection from an old man in NY who had an attic full of brand new vintage books still banded in paper." sheesh.

Well, at least he's exploring ways to bring new material to market, a vast improvement over his buy CGC at 5.0 to 7.5, crack it out and list it raw as original owner 9.0 to 9.6 modus operandi.

Oxymoron-ic.

7 hours ago, CJ Design said:

I like this one in particular -- UNCANNY X-MEN #101 NM+/UNREAD 💎 ORIGIN & 1ST APP OF PHOENIX! ORIGINAL OWNER CGC | eBay -- a rarely seen unread book that must have come off the presses pre-spine rolled.

Dude's photo manipulation skills are slipping.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:39 PM, James J Johnson said:

His wife's father bought all these off the newsstand. He was a picky guy!   :roflmao:

Hello & thank you for stopping in today we will be listing a lot of Golden Age, Silver Age & Bronze Age Comics!!! All of the books that you see are from a original owner which was my wife’s father! He bought these high grade books fresh off the news stands threw out his childhood threw adulthood!! All of them are in high grade as he was a very picky guy when it came to books.

Comic For Sale: Fantastic Four #67 1st. App. & Origin (Warlock)! SCARCE RARE KEY! 9.4/9.6 Needs To Be Graded Immediately! Unread! 100% No Restoration Guarantee! Unpressed! Original Owner! 1st. Print! 10/1967

He doesn't spell very good, which is ironic coming from me. Also his description is incorrect-Warlock first appearance is in Thor 165.