• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-251-CGC-9-0-CREAM-TO-OFF-WHITE-PAGES-JOKER-APPEARANCE-/324139566435?hash=item4b78394563%3Ag%3AxEoAAOSwLIpemwjH&nma=true&si=zvVMuV%2BK9q1QVdH%2FYd0Jm5TpeuY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-251-NM-Classic-Neal-Adams-Key-Original-Owner-CGC-Ready-SCARCE-WOW-/143593261225?hash=item216ed348a9%3Ag%3ASvgAAOSw~zdeqylk&nma=true&si=zvVMuV%2BK9q1QVdH%2FYd0Jm5TpeuY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557  

All of the books that you see are from a original owner which was my wife’s father or from my personal collection! He bought these high grade books fresh off the news stands threw out his childhood threw adulthood!! All of them are in high grade as he & I are very picky guys when it came to books. Happy Hunting Collector’s Stay Healthy & Safe! Now Offering Pressing & Cleaning Service’s!

Bat251b.jpg

Bat251a.jpg

Dead giveaway on the Joker’s left index finger, whoever paid a grand for this doesn’t deserve to have money.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:06 PM, James J Johnson said:

It's already CGCed when he buys it. He cracks and resells as raw at an inflated grade. It's a deception and more. Here's why, and what I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Let's say you were the winner. You won the book for $1425, which is $1437 with the postage. Now if you're in a state that ebay collects sales tax for, your total cost averages about $110 on a $1437 invoice, so your total cost is about $1550.

If you're a buyer of raw high grade key books, chances are that you're not going to rat-hole this book, never to see the light of day again, and that you are going to submit it to CGC in the near future (or should I say re-submit it because you are unaware that the book was in a CGC slab as recently as May 1st, less than two weeks ago!!). You're also unaware that the book was already optimized before grading, so you pay for that service as well as the submission, and postage both way. Now you can add an additional $200 or so to the total invoice cost and you're now out of pocket about $1750 for a book that will probably return as it was previously graded, because it was already pressed to begin with; 9.2.

To add insult to financial injury, you happen to come across this thread and learn that his deception cost you $1750 for something you could have won two weeks earlier from digauctions for $1100, a net loss on your item of $650.

Now, considering that, how warm a feeling in your heart would you have for this seller conducting these deceptions on a regular basis?

this type of crack out and sell raw for a profit behavior could never happen with graded coins , comics have a long way t go to catch up with the numismatic field

19 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

So it’s safe to say that this guy overgrades his books :bigsmile:

Well, at least he puts in a huge qualifier in BIG Bold letters that grading is very subjective and he is not a professional grader or claims to be:

Grade: NM Please Bidders View My High Definition Photos As I’m Not A Professional Grader Nor Claim To Be As Grading Is Very Subjective!

Is it really any worse than CGC designing a grading system whereby you can take a CGC 9.0 graded book like this one here and if you use their ancillary services properly and pay for it over and over again, you will eventually be able to manipulate it into a CGC 9.8 graded copy:  :devil:   (tsk)

lf?set=path%5B4%2F2%2F5%2F1%2F4251083%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, at least he puts in a huge qualifier in BIG Bold letters that grading is very subjective and he is not a professional grader or claims to be:

Grade: NM Please Bidders View My High Definition Photos As I’m Not A Professional Grader Nor Claim To Be As Grading Is Very Subjective!

Is it really any worse than CGC designing a grading system whereby you can take a CGC 9.0 graded book like this one here and if you use their ancillary services properly and pay for it over and over again, you will eventually be able to manipulate it into a CGC 9.8 graded copy:  :devil:   (tsk)

It is possible to buy lower grade books, clean/press them and snatch a grade bump. I’ve done it once or twice. But this guy on a mission to unslab books, rehome them to some unsuspecting buyer. I’m sure you can even see consistency in his grading across his display. I haven’t looked or read much of this thread. 

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Cracking a book for a C&P is one thing.

Cracking a book with a known professional grade, manipulating photos of it, intentionally inflating the grade, giving it a phony back story, and declaring it the scarcest, mintiest, unreadiest thing ever is entirely different.  The legal system has even assigned a term to such a practice - fraud.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:01 PM, JollyComics said:

Before pressing

491152320_ScreenShot2020-04-27at2_51_55PM.thumb.png.149a63f8bbbb3491ab0de216e6921646.png

After pressing                             I suspected this guy used Photoshop to adjust Hue/Saturation or use the level to contrast/brightness to eliminate tan edges.

1574923474_ScreenShot2020-04-27at2_49_55PM.png.d1419709c22ab27e9d8acb38c52068d0.png873480489_ScreenShot2020-04-27at2_54_40PM.png.261ad1d84810867fb0c75675d6357aa3.png

Now let's call

@joeypost

Let's see how bad he pressed this book.

I could do better with a q-tip and a steam iron. Book also has cupping and he may have given it a water bath to whiten it. 

On 5/14/2020 at 6:27 PM, James J Johnson said:

As Lionheart once said, "Wrong bet"! I've been tracking his purchases and sales for quite awhile, once I discovered the crack and relist strategy. There have been restored purchases in his feedback, books that later showed up as, you guessed it, "out of father-in-laws refrigerated safe, NM/unread", without mention of their being restored at sometime during cold storage. It's all there in the feedback. I know ebay scrambles IDs in most cases but the feedback number usually indicates who the seller or buyer is if you match it up. Other ways to tell to, but I don't want to give that away, like a tutorial for him on how to better game  people watching him.

Now there is a reference that you just don't see much. I see you are a connoisseur of early career JCVD and Lionheart just gets overlooked but one of my favs. Well done sir.

51 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

1st negative feedback 

That high bidder dodged a massive bullet when this dirtbag seller backed out of that $820 sale.

Here is the title from the auction: 

Amazing Spider-Man #333-370 Huge Mint Run #362 9.8/9.9 Original Owner! Unread!!!

Here are close up shots of a couple of spines from the sellers scans:

Spine.jpg.770e3e2cc24218e720a2c73bd795acd6.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

52 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

That high bidder dodged a massive bullet when this dirtbag seller backed out of that $820 sale.

Here is the title from the auction: 

Amazing Spider-Man #333-370 Huge Mint Run #362 9.8/9.9 Original Owner! Unread!!!

Here are close up shots of a couple of spines from the sellers scans:

Spine.jpg.770e3e2cc24218e720a2c73bd795acd6.jpg

Would have loved to bid super high.. like stupid high and be a non-payer and leave trashy negative feedback... oh well.. but who's paying over $900 for a very common run of overprinted 90s ASM that are easy to find in high grade without 361 the first Carnage?!

32 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Would have loved to bid super high.. like stupid high and be a non-payer and leave trashy negative feedback... oh well.. but who's paying over $900 for a very common run of overprinted 90s ASM that are easy to find in high grade without 361 the first Carnage?!

No payment = no feedback. The feedback option is contingent upon payment for the item. 

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/polished_gem_comics?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560  

Still no activity. Which can only mean selling through a different account. 

1st negative feedback joins the existing neutral.

nah inventory is low, he's out looting