• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Some if these guys dont pay so much they must just do it as trolling.

True but if they are blocked they cant even troll-very frustrating for them.  Then psychologically they really want it-cause they cant have it.

2 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

This seller will probably be around awhile as well. There are lots of comic buyers with fewer and fewer collectors. Look how many people on this forum that cant grade. And they are cgc customers for most part. A lot of you have faith his buyers will wise up, the same buyers who have no knowledge of grading, fair market value, and no sense to not see the red flags in his listings. You will need to personally contact as many of them as you can. 

Even then what is the worst that happens. He refunds and sells books to another person. I wouldn't count on ebay doing anything, they are enjoying their cut. I reported dozens of sellers probably and all still on ebay doing same thing. If they would ban him, he just makes another account. Will be doing this until he cant make $. Interesting to follow, but I dont see it ending soon.

There's a limit to how many refunds he can make, before paypal starts to withhold more and more of his money for 21 days as a precaution. He hasn't been selling for that long so as the refunds mount, what will happen is that paypal will deep freeze his account for 180 days. They don't want to wind up on the hook for refunding funds that aren't recoverable from his account. eBay's managed payments may result in the same outcome. There's a certain amount of refunds that will cause a spike, warranting the kind of attention from ebay or paypal that he doesn't want, and the resulting outcome. The end.

30 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

You can't leave negative feedback for buyers. They can non pay hundreds of times and still allowed to bid. Ebay is wonderful isn't it.

That actually makes sense

There should be a consequence for a certain amount of negative feedback for a buyer...but negative feedback on a buyer can affect negotiating on a BIN...I mean if someone says buyer doesn't pay then a seller would be reluctant to accept an offer from a buyer....

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That actually makes sense

There should be a consequence for a certain amount of negative feedback for a buyer...but negative feedback on a buyer can affect negotiating on a BIN...I mean if someone says buyer doesn't pay then a seller would be reluctant to accept an offer from a buyer....

You must be the ebay CEO. Our business depends on our 10 percent cut of items bought. So let's allow people who dont pay to keep buying.

And yes if I see a buyer who has a history of not paying I don't accept their offers! Why would I? They aren't going to pay! There are buyers who never pay, like 20 to 200 times didn't pay.

Edited by Myowncollector
Add more

16 minutes ago, kav said:

True but if they are blocked they cant even troll-very frustrating for them.  Then psychologically they really want it-cause they cant have it.

I like your thinking. I use the ebay block list. Just not sure our little fraction of Ebay sellers has much effect. I never had problems with non payers until recently. Now I do search before I accept or ship.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

There's a limit to how many refunds he can make, before paypal starts to withhold more and more of his money for 21 days as a precaution. He hasn't been selling for that long so as the refunds mount, what will happen is that paypal will deep freeze his account for 180 days. They don't want to wind up on the hook for refunding funds that aren't recoverable from his account. eBay's managed payments may result in the same outcome. There's a certain amount of refunds that will cause a spike, warranting the kind of attention from ebay or paypal that he doesn't want, and the resulting outcome. The end.

Great. He is done for. Close the thread.

2 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I like your thinking. I use the ebay block list. Just not sure our little fraction of Ebay sellers has much effect. I never had problems with non payers until recently. Now I do search before I accept or ship.

I mean keep in mind I have been blocked by ONE SELLER.  not a huge seller a middle of the road seller and over the years DOZENS of times I went to buy a book and "Seller is not accepting your bids at this time".
Believe me it has effect!

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I mean keep in mind I have been blocked by ONE SELLER.  not a huge seller a middle of the road seller and over the years DOZENS of times I went to buy a book and "Seller is not accepting your bids at this time".
Believe me it has 

Gotta pay more attention. Switch accounts or have someone else buy it for you. Their loss though. I am 2nd highest bidder more often then the winner. That seller that blocked you lost some $

2 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

You can't leave negative feedback for buyers. They can non pay hundreds of times and still allowed to bid. Ebay is wonderful isn't it.

2 hours ago, kav said:

Until they go to buy more books and learn they have been blocked over and over from the blocked bidder thread.  Believe me-that is a serious curtailment.  As I have mentioned before, I have been blocked by exactly one seller over a misunderstanding (Jimmy doesnt like misunderstandings-misunderstandings and Jimmy-kinda clash) and it has foiled me dozens of times over the years!  Cannot imagine being blocked by dozens or hundreds of prolific sellers of comics on ebay!!
CONSEQUENCES when they thought there were none!!!!  :cloud9: :luhv: lol

Yeah, and that's exactly what I did - block them as a buyer so they couldn't bid on my books. At least it was something...

9 minutes ago, littledoom said:

What if she accidentally outbids the highest max bid? Does she ever retract and rebid lower? 

Doesn't have to. Can send a second chance offer to the next highest bidder for their high (losing) bid, which not counting the shill bid was actually the highest bid. In this case, eBay's software would adjust the next highest bid down to the level of the next step over the third highest bid on that list of bids, which would be $5 over $216, the first two bids eliminated because he sure isn't going to send himself a second offer, he already owns it.

Obviously "dirty" tactics by the seller, but I think the bigger problem is the multitude of uneducated buyers. Happens every day on ebay. People overbid for overgraded comics. I have made that mistake in the past. Now, I only put in my max bid based on my research and studying the pictures. If the pictures aren't clear, I stay conservative.  Yes, I lose a majority of the time, but the few I win are good wins. Sounds cold, but I don't have much sympathy for the buyers. Sometimes hard lessons are necessary. And karma will catch up with the seller over time...although might be a very long time from now.

10 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Obviously "dirty" tactics by the seller, but I think the bigger problem is the multitude of uneducated buyers. Happens every day on ebay. People overbid for overgraded comics. I have made that mistake in the past. Now, I only put in my max bid based on my research and studying the pictures. If the pictures aren't clear, I stay conservative.  Yes, I lose a majority of the time, but the few I win are good wins. Sounds cold, but I don't have much sympathy for the buyers. Sometimes hard lessons are necessary. And karma will catch up with the seller over time...although might be a very long time from now.

sucks cause that used to be me when I bought low grade keys to get low prices but these nuts are literally breaking their bank for comics that are not as high grade as they spend for

Edited by littledoom

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

sucks cause that used to be when I bought low grade keys to get low prices but these nuts are literally breaking their bank for comics that are not as high grade as they spend for

Agreed littledoom. The hobby has changed. I don't see how it can last, but it's already been going on much longer than I thought it could.

I'm surprised nobody's made the comparison to Comic-Keys and Danny. Comic-Keys was selling restored books as untouched but they were also selling cracked out books as higher grades.  Before I knew better, I bought an ASM issue, don't remember which one, that was "guaranteed"  9.4/9.6. I bid like it was a CGC 9.0, won, sent it in for grading, and it came back an unrestored 9.0. Lucked out.

This guy (woman?) appears to be a low-rent version of robojo. I am also surprised at how many people are just shrugging and saying "Buyer Beware." Makes me sad. One reason I like the CGC Boards is that there has always been a sense that we look out for each other and the comic collecting community. I hope that isn't going away.

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm surprised nobody's made the comparison to Comic-Keys and Danny. Comic-Keys was selling restored books as untouched but they were also selling cracked out books as higher grades.  Before I knew better, I bought an ASM issue, don't remember which one, that was "guaranteed"  9.4/9.6. I bid like it was a CGC 9.0, won, sent it in for grading, and it came back an unrestored 9.0. Lucked out.

This guy (woman?) appears to be a low-rent version of robojo. I am also surprised at how many people are just shrugging and saying "Buyer Beware." Makes me sad. One reason I like the CGC Boards is that there has always been a sense that we look out for each other and the comic collecting community. I hope that isn't going away.

there's also an ebay community page.. hopefully this reaches that forum