• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Has been doing what? Cracking CGC slabs and reselling at a higher grade? Do tell more :popcorn:

Let's not forget that the CGC slab cracking then relisting at higher grades is a small part of the unethical whole. The major element of his sales strategy that makes this border on criminal misrepresentation is the misrepresenting the formerly CGC cracked slab books as being, "from his father-in-law's un/read gem collection, fresh from refrigerated storage" and all. Legally, this is a form of theft by omission, a huge difference being realized in the resulting prices of the books by spinning the lies of their provenance, rather than honestly stating, "This was a CGC graded 9.0 but my belief is that it is an unread/NM gem", and leaving it up to the bidder to determine the validity and efficacy of his dubious strategy. And ignorance is not an excuse. He's the buyer!! Of the CGC graded books that he cracked and relisted raw! There's no excuses here. Deception is the strategy. 

Edited by James J Johnson

I generally don’t even look at listings where they are self graded as 9.6. Or if there is anything like the words Rare or Scarce or something clearly designed to grab eyes. Why? Well I’m not hunting for high grade and I know these auctions will get bid up to high heavens anyway so it’s a waste of my time.

And really, good dealers and sellers of comics should know not to go for such auctions either but obviously some are. That FF issue originally posted clearly has slight browning or discolouring on the cover and a competent collector or dealer should see that and know that’s not a 9.4 or 9.6 book.

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/polished_gem_comics?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560 

Poof!  As promised, Still another evaporated negative feedback. I'll just keep documenting them here as the negatives appear and then ebay removes them for the asking.  

5 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Has been doing what? Cracking CGC slabs and reselling at a higher grade? Do tell more :popcorn:

I started a thread since I found them super sketchy and someine gave the very same experience of cracking a book and grading it higher.

Plus they often dont disclose restoration or pages missing. Soneone bought an Avengers 4 as a 4.0 and it came back 0.5 because a page was missing.

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/polished_gem_comics?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560 

Poof!  As promised, Still another evaporated negative feedback. I'll just keep documenting them here as the negatives appear and then ebay removes them for the asking.  

Buyers have all the power regarding returns, sellers regarding feedback.

FEEDBACK FROM BUYER/PRICE WHEN

NEVER RECEIVED. NO RESPONSE FROM SELLER. HAD TO OPEN CASE.
Amazing Spider-Man #242 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! (#143597771249)
c***c (6180)
US $49.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #222 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! (#143597172263)
c***c (6180)
US $23.50
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #211 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! Huge Sale!!! (#143597180477)
c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #191 9.8/Unread Original Owner!! CGC Ready! WOW! (#143597184967)
c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #192 9.8/Unread White Pages! Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! (#143597192877)
c***c (6180)
US $37.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #221 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! Gorgeous! (#143597777742)
c***c (6180)
US $20.55
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #233 NM/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! Gorgeous Book! (#143597782965)
c***c (6180)
US $34.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #231 NM/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! Beautiful Book! (#143597803359)
c***c (6180)
US $32.01
Past month

Batman #189 NM/Unread 1st. Silver Age Scarecrow! CGC Ready! White Pages! SCARCE! (#143598688649)
c***c (6180)
US $1,424.99
Past month

9 more negatives for stiffing a buyer that will also be removed by ebay in 3....2.....1   second...….

Amazing Spider-Man #242 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! (#143597771249)
c***c (6180)
US $49.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #222 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! (#143597172263)
c***c (6180)
US $23.50
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #211 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! Huge Sale!!! (#143597180477)
c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #191 9.8/Unread Original Owner!! CGC Ready! WOW! (#143597184967)
c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #192 9.8/Unread White Pages! Original Owner! CGC Ready! WOW!! (#143597192877)
c***c (6180)
US $37.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #221 NM+/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! Gorgeous! (#143597777742)
c***c (6180)
US $20.55
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #233 NM/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! Gorgeous Book! (#143597782965)
c***c (6180)
US $34.00
Past month

Amazing Spider-Man #231 NM/Unread Original Owner! CGC Ready! Beautiful Book! (#143597803359)
c***c (6180)
US $32.01
Past month

Batman #189 NM/Unread 1st. Silver Age Scarecrow! CGC Ready! White Pages! SCARCE! (#143598688649)
c***c (6180)
US $1,424.99
Past month

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

c***c (6180)
US $49.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $23.50
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $37.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $20.55
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $34.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $32.01
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $1,424.99
Past month

9 more negatives for stiffing a buyer that will also be removed by ebay in 3....2.....1   second...….

c***c (6180)
US $49.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $23.50
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $42.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $37.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $20.55
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $34.00
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $32.01
Past month

c***c (6180)
US $1,424.99
Past month

Wonder if that fool realizes how lucky he is.

15 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Wonder if that fool realizes how lucky he is.

My guess is that he emptied his paypal account, or ran it real low, withdrawing money as it came in, leaving a very low balance; too low to cover the returns thus far, nd those that will be forthcoming, as predicted. So what I don't understand is, ebay is protecting his buyers by making good on his non-performing. They must be. The feedback speaks of ebay "having to make good", via their buyer protection plan. So if this logical assumption is true, or even the major part of it is correct, ebay is making good on their dime and still covering for him by accommodating his feedback with removal of all negatives, no matter how many he gets. And I think it's fairly safe to assume that these 9 negatives will be removed by ebay within the same parameters of the time frame of the other removed negatives; about 24 to 30 hours. 

Basically now, it's open season for sellers! Or so it would seem if going by the dynamics of what we're seeing as eBay's response to seller non-performance. I can't think of a different explanation for it other than at present, ebay is extremely liberal with their sellers aiding and abetting, then remedying for buyers what is technically mail fraud.. 

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

My guess is that he emptied his paypal account, or ran it real low, withdrawing money as it came in, leaving a very low balance; too low to cover the returns thus far, nd those that will be forthcoming, as predicted. So what I don't understand is, ebay is protecting his buyers by making good on his non-performing. They must be. The feedback speaks of ebay "having to make good", via their buyer protection plan. So if this logical assumption is true, or even the major part of it is correct, ebay is making good on their dime and still covering for him by accommodating his feedback with removal of all negatives, no matter how many he gets. And I think it's fairly safe to assume that these 9 negatives will be removed by ebay within the same parameters of the time frame of the other removed negatives; about 24 to 30 hours. 

Basically now, it's open season for sellers! Or so it would seem if going by the dynamics of what we're seeing as eBay's response to seller non-performance. I can't think of a different explanation for it other than at present, ebay is extremely liberal with their sellers aiding and abetting, then remedying for buyers what is technically mail fraud.. 

I meant the buyer's luck for not receiving all those NM+ 5.5s :gossip:

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

I have a feeling the buyer over bid on a lot of low ASM purchases that he had no intent of paying for with the agenda to leave negatives

The buyer also snagged the NM/unread Bat 189 that was CGC slabbed a bunch of grade points lower by CGC. 

The buyer had to have paid, or would not have the options to submit any feedback, negative, neutral, or positive. That's the way it works. You win, don't pay = no feedback can be left by the buyer. This buyer who imparted 9 negative feedbacks to Polished Gems' feedback did most definitely pay.

48 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The buyer also snagged the NM/unread Bat 189 that was CGC slabbed a bunch of grade points lower by CGC. 

The buyer had to have paid, or would not have the options to submit any feedback, negative, neutral, or positive. That's the way it works. You win, don't pay = no feedback can be left by the buyer. This buyer who imparted 9 negative feedbacks to Polished Gems' feedback did most definitely pay.

I noticed he couldnt get the neutral removed-maybe we should start leaving neutrals with an explanation and ebay will leave em sit.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I noticed he couldnt get the neutral removed-maybe we should start leaving neutrals with an explanation and ebay will leave em sit.

I don't think there is feedback revision or forgiveness for neutrals, possibly unless the language of the feedback violates guidelines, contact info, profanity, and other things along those lines and more. There might be the same forgiveness for them as negatives, but I've never noticed neutral removals before. 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I don't think there is feedback revision or forgiveness for neutrals, possibly unless the language of the feedback violates guidelines, contact info, profanity, and other things along those lines and more. There might be the same forgiveness for them as negatives, but I've never noticed neutral removals before. 

i think everyone should start leaving neutrals, explaining the shenanigans for other buyers since ebay does not remove them.

Just wondering, how can you get so many feedback removals if on the site it says you can only do 5 a year?

"You can only request a revision for feedback that is less than 30 days old, and can make 5 feedback revision requests per calendar year."

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/disputing-feedback-received?id=4102&st=3&pos=1&query=Disputing feedback you received&intent=remove negtive feedback&lucenceai=lucenceai

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Just wondering, how can you get so many feedback removals if on the site it says you can only do 5 a year?

"You can only request a revision for feedback that is less than 30 days old, and can make 5 feedback revision requests per calendar year."

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/disputing-feedback-received?id=4102&st=3&pos=1&query=Disputing feedback you received&intent=remove negtive feedback&lucenceai=lucenceai

Asking eBay to enforce their policies is like asking a sheet of drywall to do your taxes.