• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

how do you see those "lawsuits" going?

You tell us, you're the lawyer.  lol I don't think anyone is going to invest in litigating this matter when lawyer expenses are likely to exceed any money lost, and any would be scammer is counting on it.  The only saving grace here is the paypal/ebay policies.  
As collectors most of us have taken the default view that buyer beware when it comes to raw books and that you're not guaranteed a raw grade to translate into a CGC slab grade, when CGC can't even guarantee their own grades.  Despite that Paypal/Ebay/Big Credit Card Co seem to have taken the opposite approach which is seller is always wrong, customer is always right.  This is great in situations when you are a buyer dealing with dishonest sellers, but it also sets a precedent where sellers can be held hostage for six months while allowing the buyer to resell the purchased book at a profit and if they fail, return the book any time in that 6 month window.

I do find it interesting that you seem more concerned about the liability for misrepresenting the history of the book rather than misrepresenting the grade.  To a collector both are equally monetarily damaging and reason to revoke a transaction.  For many buyers the only concern is getting that blue label CGC slab with the advertised grade.  The real mystery here to me is what standard is ebay/paypal/Credit card co. holding the seller to?  When it comes to grading is the seller's raw grade being held to CGC's grading standard?  Anything stated by a seller that isn't verified by CGC is now a fradulent statement?  Doesn't seem to matter at this point if the buyer can just back out at any point.  This is reason enough to keep HONEST sellers away from ebay.  Perhaps the prices realized on these raw books are a direct reflection of how easily the seller/buyer situation can be manipulated to favor the buyer, and it becomes a no-risk situation for buyers.  

1 minute ago, 90sChild said:

I do find it interesting that you seem more concerned about the liability for misrepresenting the history of the book rather than misrepresenting the grade.  To a collector both are equally monetarily damaging and reason to revoke a transaction.  For many buyers the only concern is getting that blue label CGC slab with the advertised grade.  The real mystery here to me is what standard is ebay/paypal/Credit card co. holding the seller to?  When it comes to grading is the seller's raw grade being held to CGC's grading standard?  Anything stated by a seller that isn't verified by CGC is now a fradulent statement?  Doesn't seem to matter at this point if the buyer can just back out at any point.  This is reason enough to keep HONEST sellers away from ebay.  Perhaps the prices realized on these raw books are a direct reflection of how easily the seller/buyer situation can be manipulated to favor the buyer, and it becomes a no-risk situation for buyers.  

Only because misrepresenting the history is clearly demonstrable and incontrovertible. There are no defenses when the statement of where the books came from compared to the scans and the seller's recent purchase history contradict each other so clearly. There's no gray area, no interpretation, no two sides. It's a slam dunk. 

The misrepresenting the grade is where it gets harder to prove. It's not the same kind of slam dunk the book's history is, because there are potential defense of disagreeing with the CGC grade, grading being less than an exact science, etc. Sure, they aren't convincing arguments from the seller, but they are arguments nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Only because misrepresenting the history is clearly demonstrable and incontrovertible. There are no defenses when the statement of where the books came from compared to the scans and the seller's recent purchase history contradict each other so clearly. There's no gray area, no interpretation, no two sides. It's a slam dunk. 

The misrepresenting the grade is where it gets harder to prove. It's not the same kind of slam dunk the book's history is, because there are potential defense of disagreeing with the CGC grade, grading being less than an exact science, etc. Sure, they aren't convincing arguments from the seller, but they are arguments nonetheless. 

+!    My library of images, before (as bought) and after (as sold) prove beyond a shadow of doubt that none of his books either came out of a time capsule enclosed, refrigerated safe or his father-in-law's file cabinet, foot locker, or wherever the hell he was supposed to have rat-holed them, maybe up his keister. The books are clearly identifiable as identical due to matching individual characteristics, and there's no intelligently disputing it unless an insanity defense is attempted.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

+!    My library of images, before (as bought) and after (as sold) prove beyond a shadow of doubt that none of his books either came out of a time capsule enclosed, refrigerated safe or his father-in-law's file cabinet, foot locker, or wherever the hell he was supposed to have rat-holed them, maybe up his keister. The books are clearly identifiable as identical due to matching individual characteristics, and there's no intelligently disputing it unless an insanity defense is attempted.

and from what a lawyer buddy once told me insanity defense only works if you think you are a watermelon or something.

Hello everyone.  I was in contact with this seller and was waiting on some conan books.  I went to his feedback page and was trying to find his website as described on the right side of his ebay ID at top of feedback page.  I searched and took me directly to this forum.  You guys are absolutely correct about being suspicious about all this.  I am still egging him on, letting him know that he is getting incredible bids as people are trading their US dollars for collectibles.  Also asked about the conan books, will see when he replies.  Thank you for this information, he is getting crazy bids. 

Why are people bidding so high on this guys auctions? He's selling a raw ASM #194 and the high bid is currently $1,009. Current GPA for a 9.4 is around $300 and $500 for a 9.6. 

I guess bidders are assuming they will receive a 9.8. but of course we all know there's little chance that happens. 

2 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

SHILLS!!!!  Check the history bids.  The seller and bidder have same feedback numbers.  34 bids on his own book.

2 hours ago, raybowles said:

Why are people bidding so high on this guys auctions? He's selling a raw ASM #194 and the high bid is currently $1,009. Current GPA for a 9.4 is around $300 and $500 for a 9.6. 

I guess bidders are assuming they will receive a 9.8. but of course we all know there's little chance that happens. 

There's a ton of dreamers, schemers and Kool-Aid drinkers out there.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:46 PM, Myowncollector said:

I must say this person is the greatest comic seller I have seen. To buy a book well over the going rate with a production flaw and to even think you can sell it for more amazes me. Then to actually do it. I bow down to your greatness. Most I would pay for that book would be 1500 and only for purpose of resale cause production creases get no pass from me. Crease is a crease I don't care how it got there. This person is going to sell it for 3300 plus. Bidders are dumb enough to pay that much money yet smart enough to know how production flaws are graded. Incredible. 

If he has the balls to get away with it I actually think he should .. this is wrong practice but if buyers are paying then I can't say it's wrong... he's remixing / enhancing

Idk sure you feel a type of way cause he's getting crazy $ for raw books. that makes me envious but everything you mentioned I agree with

just goes to show buyers don't know how to grade. But how is this any different from buying a raw comic at a store and then reselling online as a higher grade than advertised? This time it's only more obvious and traceable

Edited by littledoom

There's an ebay seller who buys many low auctions and resells them on his account as higher priced BINs.. using the same exact photos as the auctions he bought them from.. so his page is literally a mismatch hodgepodge of different backgrounds and settings.. it's quite whimsical... I know this because a seller friend of mine on ebay has a very identifiable glass table and angle he shoots from. I was surprised to see his same glass dinner table in a different state!

Edited by littledoom