• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite aspect or two of a given artist's style

26 posts in this topic

Thought this would be fun.  Will start with a few.

Luis Royo's brand of realism comes to mind... vital, sensual and immediate, compared to the a lot of the other realist work out there.  Even his sketches have a palpable wholeness to them.  Jusko was another who accomplished this, I feel.  

There's something about Immonen's lines and shading that pound-for-pound pack a big punch for me. Can cover the whole range of emotions, including understated frames.

I've always been a fan of Alan Davis's facial expressions.
He does a fantastic job of not only differentiating non-costumed human characters from one another, but each expression brilliantly conveys what the character is feeling or thinking in that particular panel. A lot of artists' characters tend to all look alike - and they all seem to always be feeling the exact same thing too - but not with Davis.

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Curt Swan for his expressions and how well they reproduced even in poorly printed comics.
image.thumb.png.d50b7855db9fe1b0cba69671dea9aec5.png

I also admired that he knew teenage proportions are not the same as adult ones so his LSH looked like teens and I admired his ability to drape the fabric of clothing.

I always associated Curt Swan with Superman, but always associated facial expressions with Kevin Maguire.

Malvin

Chaykin’s girls were drawn like no was not in their voacabulary, if that’s what you mean :insane:   Wasn’t quite my taste but I know where you’re going with it.

Edited by Bronty

22 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Bernie Wrightson, the ‘master of the macabre’, for his impossibly fine line work and cross-hatching, and almost obsessive attention to detail...

All of that plus his people. The average people in his stories are fascinating espcially those from the swamp or rural areas.

There's a lot I like about Simonson, but one thing I really like is his perspective shots, which means sometimes he draws characters really small.  I also think that the fact that he doesn't sell his originals makes him a better artist/story teller.  The purpose of his art is to advance the story--it's not created to sell to collectors like us.

Love Bill Ward's 'telephone girls' series of huge Conte crayon (about 2' x 3') from 1960s and 70s drawings with the detailed fabric, hosiery and curtains with white chalk highlights.

Enjoy the simplicity of Wm Van Horn's 'Walt Disney Comics and Stories,' Donald Duck, nephews, and Uncle Scrooge twice up original art panel pages. These are usually folded in half horizontally with tape holding the 2 bristol board sheets since they are so large. Bigger is better?