• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite aspect or two of a given artist's style

26 posts in this topic

Alex Toth’s economy of line. Like a poet; never use two words when one will do. I find myself thinking about what isn’t drawn, and become more engaged in the story.

Mignola‘s decisive use of black. Actually lots and lots of other things about his stuff, but for now, let’s go with his blacks. 

My favourite artist on X-Men was Paul Smith.  'Smitty' had a clean, crisp line inked to perfection by Bob Wiacek.  But the one aspect of his artwork that caught my eye was his attention to detail to...hair.  In particular, the X-ladies hair.  The amount of attention paid to this detail was unique for the time and is something I will always remember.  Here's a few pics as examples.

paul smith 3.jpg

Paul Smith 2.jpg

Paul Smith 1.jpg

pauls smith 4.jpg

Larry Elmore (of Dragonlance novel cover art fame) is another who's great with the hair.

Also -- Frazetta's beasts.  Newp, ain't missing an 'r' there.  He rightfully gets a lot of attention for his ladies, but I noticed my eye spends as much time on the beasts when juxtaposed.  Not an easy feat!

Though I don't own any Wrightson, have long respected the sheer pathos oozing from his works, particularly expressions.  Ditto with Michael Zulli.