• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver and Bronze GGA
5 5

57 posts in this topic

GGA is certainly well covered in the GA forum but not so much for comics from 1956 to 1983 (specific dates so no one tries to sneak anything from Liefeld here).  Some of these books are incredibly cheap and tough to find in great shape. Here are two of my favorites that are from both eras. 

44C45D91-D3B0-4795-A26E-8DEBDD50118A.jpeg

DE813742-73FD-49E3-819B-D2A5BBC68A24.jpeg

For me it's Bob Oksner.  His work on Supergirl (Adventure) and Mary Marvel (Shazam) was top-drawer.  Great pencils on Angel & the Ape too.

Also Nick Cardy.  His renditions of Wonder Girl and the few Black Canary drawings were really nice.  Mike Grell's Black Canary deserves good reprinting (from Green Arrow bacups in Action).  I might mention his Saturn Girl as well.

Wally Wood’s art in “The Cat” #1, esp the first page splash, set my prepubescent heart aflutter. Then I found his depiction of the Iron Maiden (Thunder Agents). He demonstrated a mastery of the feminine form.

Edited by comicparadox

On 5/4/2020 at 7:58 AM, EC Star&Bar said:

For me it's Bob Oksner.  His work on Supergirl (Adventure) and Mary Marvel (Shazam) was top-drawer.  Great pencils on Angel & the Ape too.

Also Nick Cardy.  His renditions of Wonder Girl and the few Black Canary drawings were really nice.  Mike Grell's Black Canary deserves good reprinting (from Green Arrow bacups in Action).  I might mention his Saturn Girl as well.

I never knew Oksner did Supergirl…. he packed plenty of GGA into the covers and pages of Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope, however … and those certainly didn't escape my attention. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

...The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis qualifies too..... a very favorite artist of mine, Mort Drucker, did some fine work in this genre for D.C., before he was wisked off to fame and fortune with Mad Magazine.

Edited by jimjum12

On 4/26/2020 at 6:27 AM, ThothAmon said:

GGA is certainly well covered in the GA forum but not so much for comics from 1956 to 1983 (specific dates so no one tries to sneak anything from Liefeld here).  Some of these books are incredibly cheap and tough to find in great shape. Here are two of my favorites that are from both eras. 

DE813742-73FD-49E3-819B-D2A5BBC68A24.jpeg

KK 62 is the likely winner (for me anyway)

For me what sets Buscema apart is the way he draws faces -- in particular the shape of the eyes, eyebrows, and lips.

Speaking of which, women's faces were generally the weakest aspect of Kirby's art.  Toward the end of his run on FF, Sue Storm finally started to look pretty, but in the early days some of his depictions (the cover of FF #7 stands out in particular) were pretty rough.