• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 auction scam
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I was browsing around and found an Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 4.5 universal on ebay. It's listed for 5k so it is pretty obviously a scam. I reached out to the seller and they wanted to do payment outside of ebay/paypal. I ran the certification number and it didn't appear in the cgc census registry, even though the photo of the book appears to be genuine. Any explanation to that? This post is also serving as a warning so that no one is fooled by it.

Screenshot_20200426-165357_eBay.jpg

On 4/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, bballard3340502 said:

Hey everyone, I was browsing around and found an Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 4.5 universal on ebay. It's listed for 5k so it is pretty obviously a scam. I reached out to the seller and they wanted to do payment outside of ebay/paypal. I ran the certification number and it didn't appear in the cgc census registry, even though the photo of the book appears to be genuine. Any explanation to that? This post is also serving as a warning so that no one is fooled by it.

Did you report it to ebay?  Im not positive, but I think they get pretty angry when a seller tries to sell outside of their platform.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:53 PM, bballard3340502 said:

On 4/26/2020 at 7:53 PM, bballard3340502 said:

Could you explain why you've cracked out a trimmed X-men 1 and sold it to board member Larryw7 as unrestored?

19 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Could you explain why you've cracked out a trimmed X-men 1 and sold it to board member Larryw7 as unrestored?

It was probably a blue label that just fell out of the case by accident and on the way out the plastic neatly cut off one of the edges a little bit. Totally reasonable explanation. 

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

It was probably a blue label that just fell out of the case by accident and on the way out the plastic neatly cut off one of the edges a little bit. Totally reasonable explanation. 

I believe the X-men 1 was trimmed on three edges but sure, why not.

On 4/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, Max Carnage said:

Maybe it was regraded with a new cert number ?  Not sure if CGC remove old ones from the database.

yes, they do (if the former label was handed in of course)

Edited by Gotham Kid