• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bracket Is Up - Golden Age Artist May Madness Tournament
3 3

62 posts in this topic

See last post for Bracket.

I needed an escape so I thought I would try something fun and see if there is any interest and desire to participate.  March Madness was cancelled so how about a May Madness GA Artist Tournament.  I have created a survey with what I think is a pretty full list of artists but by no means exhaustive.  You can choose no more than 10 choices from the list.  The top 32 (or maybe 64 if folks want a longer tournament) vote-getters will make the tournament.  They will be seeded as normal seeding - top four gets #1 seeds who will play the bottom seeds and so on.  In the event of a tie for seeding - we can vote to break the tie.  I have included an Other choice and if there are enough votes to surpass artists listed the write-in could make the tournament.  Again I have no doubt I left people off.  If you think someone deserves to make the tournament, please use the write-in.

I admit some of the artists listed may be more strip artists but have comic credits or at least significant influence to comic books.  There have been several threads on GA artists but I don't believe anything like this where boardies vote through to get a winner.  

You can only complete the survey once so make sure your selections are what you want.  

And lastly, my feelings won't be hurt if no interest and tell me this was dumb.  I think wearing a mask has depleted oxygen to my brain which is already feeble enough so dumb is me.

Here is the survey link and the tournament entry round closes this Friday.  Unless there are ties which need additional voting, I will set up the brackets just like March Madness and you can vote for each game. 

https://s.surveyplanet.com/pzDRmneS8

Edited by telerites

I voted. 

I tried to limit my choices to the artists' comic related work during the Golden Age only. So I didn't vote for one particular artist who was probably more prolific in the Silver Age than the GA, and I dropped an artist who is more well known for strip work rather comics work. 

41 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I voted. 

I tried to limit my choices to the artists' comic related work during the Golden Age only. So I didn't vote for one particular artist who was probably more prolific in the Silver Age than the GA, and I dropped an artist who is more well known for strip work rather comics work. 

Thanks Ryan.

Steve Ditko?

Voted. 

That was really hard to narrow down. Wow, just so much talent. I also want to plug Hoe Doolin, who I think is one of the very most underrated GA artists.

It was also really difficult not to check Barks but it was about artists so I let him go. I have the same thing when it comes to strip art. Charles Schulz is considered the greatest of all-time by many but he really would not be in a top 10 list of artists based purely on art by most accounts. Barks is a top 3 for me in terms of story/art combination but he just gets edged out of the top 10 for me on artistic talent alone. 

3 hours ago, Black Bat said:

Voted- wow many great ones, and a few new ones I need to investigate.  Had to write in Hollingsworth, Fox, and Disbrow.  Not greats, but notable and personal favorites

!  

I knew I would miss some.  Those are three good one.  Matt Fox had a truly unique style.

So far only other write-in name so I am guessing I captured most of the ones we think of.

9 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Voted. 

That was really hard to narrow down. Wow, just so much talent. I also want to plug Hoe Doolin, who I think is one of the very most underrated GA artists.

It was also really difficult not to check Barks but it was about artists so I let him go. I have the same thing when it comes to strip art. Charles Schulz is considered the greatest of all-time by many but he really would not be in a top 10 list of artists based purely on art by most accounts. Barks is a top 3 for me in terms of story/art combination but he just gets edged out of the top 10 for me on artistic talent alone. 

I voted for Barks and had no trouble doing so. One of the greatest cartoonists of all time. 

17 minutes ago, telerites said:

For me, the top five or so are easy then it gets tough.

Yeah, I have my personal top 3 and then there are a bunch of great great artists that are hard to choose from. 

I did leave Ditko off because I think his greatest contributions are SA. 

I don't consider Schulz because I didn't think of him as a comic book artist and didn't include Barks, but now I'm thinking I should have.