• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Claremont signature on gsx 1

7 posts in this topic

It depends on what your personal criteria are for making something a good idea or a bad idea.  And to some extent it depends on the grade and your financial situation and collection preferences 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:11 PM, djderkey said:

I’ve heard that Chris Claremont had some writing input on gsx1 but in the book and on my slab he’s not mentioned. Would it be a bad idea to have him sign my copy?

It comes down to what you want in your collection and if you'd ever resell.  I wouldn't buy a Claremont signed GSX1 but that's because I don't buy books that are signed by people that have little to nothing to do with a particular book and I usually look for unsigned books.  But then some people buy and pay a premium for a Stan Lee signed GSX1 when he had nothing to do with the book either.  Reselling makes it a smaller niche market.  At the present moment, do what makes you happy.  If you aren't sure then reevaluate why you are collecting and what you should be focusing on.

There is a story out there that Claremont was in the cubicle next to office where Wein and Cockrum were plotting GSX1. Wein & DC ran into a problem at the end where they couldn't figure out how the X-men defeat Krakatoa (sp?) and Claremont popped in and suggested the solution used in the comic. I'm not sure how true it is... 

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-giant-size-chris-claremont-secret-assist/

I have a stabbed 9.4 that I am sending in for his sig.  He helped write the ending on it and then continued it in #94.  He is mr xman. Just like romita sr is mr spider man

On 4/29/2020 at 9:33 PM, Lesliesfbay said:

There is a story out there that Claremont was in the cubicle next to office where Wein and Cockrum were plotting GSX1. Wein & DC ran into a problem at the end where they couldn't figure out how the X-men defeat Krakatoa (sp?) and Claremont popped in and suggested the solution used in the comic. I'm not sure how true it is... 

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-giant-size-chris-claremont-secret-assist/

Very interesting. I haven't heard this before, so it was a fun read!

Personally, I would never buy a book signed by someone who is not credited on the CGC label. My GSXM1 is signed by Len Wein and my XM94 is signed by Len Wein, Chris Claremont & Bob McLeod.

Edited by seredynskib