• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Comic Art on Antiques Roadshow

11 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, spider9698 said:

I guess we know what will be in the next Heritage sale...

Heritage rep. “Was shaking.”

I’d love to see the rest of the portfolio. The Herriman was a stunning example. I love to see stuff like this.

Thanks for linking to that.  I have been tracking the 6 Herriman Sundays from that series - about 15 years ago the first one showed up at auction, hand-colored, and then a second one, and then a couple of private collectors showed off their Sundays -- all handcolored, all dedicated to people, all of them complaints about taxes.  Contrary to his normal practice he didn't sign any of them when they were published, which some people think means he intended to later inscribe them.  Which he did. So this is an interesting fill in the blank. To be honest, I think the coloring is strong but the subject matter is a little static.  But it really is stunning work.

20 hours ago, grapeape said:

Heritage rep. “Was shaking.”

I’d love to see the rest of the portfolio. The Herriman was a stunning example. I love to see stuff like this.

They’re all late 30’s to 1940’s, based on what was said on the show. So, it makes you wonder. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

22 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

That Mickey Mouse sunday was in Heritage last year in august. Went for $24K

The Prince Valiant was in the same auction, bringing $40,800.  (Are there really 4,000 Prince Valiant Sundays? That seems like a lot.)

More pieces from the Jack Kent Collection were also sold last August, some this past February (including another Valiant Sunday and a Mickey daily) and at least one piece is scheduled for July.

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

The Prince Valiant was in the same auction, bringing $40,800.  (Are there really 4,000 Prince Valiant Sundays? That seems like a lot.)

More pieces from the Jack Kent Collection were also sold last August, some this past February (including another Valiant Sunday and a Mickey daily) and at least one piece is scheduled for July.

From 1937 to 1980 when Foster stopped writing strip #2241. Thats 43 years and its been 40 years since then so 4000 a fair number (52 a year for 83 years is a few hundred over that)

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

OK. So the episode was filmed a year ago. That explains why some of the pieces have been up for auction.