• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Second Generation Comic Dealers.
3 3

22 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why I was thinking about this, but are there any second generation comic dealers out there? I know a lot of dealers whose children helped them out but none that ended up taking over the business.  Can anyone think of a prominent second generation comic dealer?

Just now, shadroch said:

I'm not sure why I was thinking about this, but are there any second generation comic dealers out there? I know a lot of dealers whose children helped them out but none that ended up taking over the business.  Can anyone think of a prominent second generation comic dealer?

Reece's Rare Comics

What about the Wilsons? Their family is the perfect example of a hobby family business. Mark has been a long time seller of world renown, PGC Mint and Scrooge Nightmare. His brother Matt helped at one point, I'm not sure now if he's still involved. And he has at least two sons that are long time dealers of renown in their own right, one on ebay as Collectors_Comics, and I forgot the other one offhand, WXP Productions, WXY Productions, or something like that. There's also many more siblings so it's possible that more than just two of Mark's children are dealers, those the only two I know of and Collectors_Comics having a huge presence on ebay, as does PGC Mint and ScroogeNightmare (Mark).

This isn't just a case of father and son, it's father, brother, and sons, and they're all major dealers.

2 hours ago, Greatness said:

Wrong!

Wrong that I, personally, at the point of writing that, could think of anyone off hand?

If you are going to try and troll, could you at least try to make sure your responses make sense?   It will make it so much more entertaining. 

11 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Greg is a disposed figure head.  Shows up for in show signings of checks,  does a few dinners,  drinks with the boys and runs back to the golf/tennis courts.  

Do you ever think about retiring? First, I would hope not as I usually look for your setup first at NYCC.  

My childhood LCS in Seaford had told me that once he passed 70 he got to a point that he didn't enjoy lifting long or short boxes as much as he did when he was 50.   At what point do people say that they have had enough?  I have seen what all of the dealers do behind the scenes at cons and things, and it really is back breaking labor that is often glamorized by customers that think... oh, 'that's easy."

Rich Conley started Comics and Records Unlimited back in the early 80s in San Antonio. Changed the name to Comics Unlimited in the late 80s and to Heroes and Fantasies in the early 90s. 

His sons, Adam and Mike, grew up in the business, joked about making bags and boards in front of the tv in kindergarten as being “family time”. At one point they had 5 locations in San Antonio plus some pop up shops on military bases before they consolidated. Now the older son runs the 15,000sf flagship store and the younger son runs the smaller store. Adam has been at least a store manager for 25 years now. Doubt he’s gonna suddenly choose a new life path when he’s never done anything else.