• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor 160 page on Romitaman
1 1

13 posts in this topic

This is a really interesting page.  I think it was originally drawn for FF 74-77 but repurposed.  There's a very long backstory to this - in short, Jack was drawing the Microverse story with an eye toward revealing the Surfer's origin, when he learned that Stan had already assigned Buscema a Surfer book.  If you re-read those issues, particularly the last 4-5 pages of FF 76, you can see the moment Jack had to swerve - otherwise the Surfer was about to meet Psychoman.  And instead of whatever Jack had planned, he had to back himself out of the story without much of the set up paying off.

In any case, Jack frequently drew stuff out of order and then pieced it together.  The color image is from the Omnibus version of FF 74.  It shows the intro of Galactus to that issue.  The b&w image is the Thor 160 page. Look how similar those panels are. Jack was so inconsistent he couldn't remember how many buttons Thor had on his uniform nor how many toes The Hulk had on each foot.  The odds of him remembering what Galactus's spaceship looked like a year or so later are mighty slim.  So I think that shortly after he drew the published FF 74 page, he drew at least the first panel of what became the Thor page to keep track of where Galactus was.  If he drew the whole page, I think that little ship G gets into wasn't intended originally to travel through space but to shrink down to go get the Surfer.  There's no propulsion unit on it, just like the one Reed uses.  I'm hoping more pages to these issues show up so we can piece together what the heck happened.

kirby ff 74 .jpg

kirby thor  160 ff maybe.jpg

23 hours ago, retronymXX said:

Another very useful feature I just found. You can hide selected dealers. In case you don't want to see anything of the brothers. I wish CAF had this feature too. ;-)

I thought I was the only one using that feature that way.

13 minutes ago, retronymXX said:

We should spread the good news that this is possible and what it means!

It is so irritating to see some of that stuff, knowing the prices will be too high to buy, and also seeing something I bought from them about 5 years ago, still listed in their inventory for sale. Makes me wonder about some other things I like and whether they are gone or not.