• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics as a kid in the hospital?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I don’t know about value, but Thor sure is a great read. If word ever gets out about that, I can see a mad rush to the back issue bins!

yep . i loved the early issues that would still have Dr Blake and nurse Jane in them:cloud9:

our cousins vacationed with us up north and i specifically remember reading IH 181 that they brought up with them ..

but we put those vacation comics through the wringer and it was probably a CGC 3.5 by the time everyone of us was done reading it .....he can't remember if he took it back home with him or not but either way it is long gone but not forgotten ............

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I got a quarter but we only went to store with comics rarely where I would get 2 comics and a licorice or an 80 pg giant.  Getting all the comics I wanted when going to hospital was very special.  Those stories above have a special fondness for me.  The X Men I did not read for abt 10 days as I was in severe pain and strapped to a bed that would rotate so i wouldnt get bed sores.  I also had prism glasses so I could watch TV lying on my back.

you have a great memory !

When I was kid, we put namby-pamby kids that read comic books into the hospital. :sumo: 

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

When I was kid, we put namby-pamby kids that read comic books into the hospital. :sumo: 

thx!  more comics!

4 hours ago, kav said:

Several comics acquired a special significance for me as they were during hospital visits.  the first books were when I was 10 and had tonsils out.  I also got tiger pajamas.
Superboy Vol 1 153Jimmy Olsen Vol 1 117Superman v.1 212Superman v.1 213image.jpeg.2120a82d98989177d863273c8fb5235f.jpeg

Then in 1975 2 weeks in hospital for back surgery-this is the only book I can remember.
Giant-Size X-Men Vol 1 2

Very cool. That is the cat's pajamas!

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I recently donated a large box of comics to a local children’s hospital. Do kids even care any more? 

Fantastic thing for you to do!  :golfclap:

The kids who have parents buying them Nintendo Switches and everything at their will, most likely won't care.  There are plenty of kids in the hospital that don't have much to do while there and comics will give them something to distract themselves from where they are.  You have to figure that some parents are having their bank accounts drained from their children's procedures and hospital stay.  A positive benefit is adding more eyes to the future generation of comic collectors!

Edited by Keys_Collector
fixed grammar

12 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I don’t know about value, but Thor sure is a great read. If word ever gets out about that, I can see a mad rush to the back issue bins!

I concur.  Journey Into Mystery starts off very poorly, but once you get into the issues in the 100's it's really consistently entertaining and just gets better and better; Absorbing Man, Hercules / Pluto, Tana Nile and the Colonisers, Ego, Mangog, Origin of Galactus, the slugfest with Him / Warlock.

Classic Lee / Kirby material.

I was a kid at the beginning of the SA of Marvel. I loved Spider-Man, The Hulk and Fantastic Four. X-Men and Thor not to much. I just didn’t get the mythology thing or the mutant thing. Really wish I kept my JIM 83 and X-Men 1. Traded them off for the other guys and Batman. 

Anybody read comics at the barber shop? My shop had a bunch of pretty well worn late ‘40’s/early ‘50’s books. The barber would let me bring in my comics and trade them for his one to one. I still have a couple of Fight and Planets I traded Archie and Ritchie Rich for. All I had to do was blow out the hair with my mom’s hairdryer.