• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics as a kid in the hospital?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I was a kid at the beginning of the SA of Marvel. I loved Spider-Man, The Hulk and Fantastic Four. X-Men and Thor not to much. I just didn’t get the mythology thing or the mutant thing. Really wish I kept my JIM 83 and X-Men 1. Traded them off for the other guys and Batman. 

Anybody read comics at the barber shop? My shop had a bunch of pretty well worn late ‘40’s/early ‘50’s books. The barber would let me bring in my comics and trade them for his one to one. I still have a couple of Fight and Planets I traded Archie and Ritchie Rich for. All I had to do was blow out the hair with my mom’s hairdryer. 

I remember reading comics at the barber shop!  Good times.

As an adult I have on occasion brought my own book / magazine with me and stealthily left behind some comics in waiting area for kids to find. 

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Got hit by a car when I was 16. Was riding a 62 BSA Rocket Goldstar. Lady ran a red light and clipped my back wheel. Landed in the hospital with two broken legs, 1 arm, bruised ribs, a concussion and lots of skin off my hands and arms. Messed up pretty bad. Man, my dad was pizzed... I remember getting rock and roll magazines and a few Playboys but no comics. In traction was a little hard to read but I managed.

Guess I didn't learn anything because I bought a '68 Triumph when I got out. Hard to explain to non riders but there is just that thrill and feeling of freedom with a motorcycle. I have always had them. I currently own three. But, now I am WAY more cautious and careful.

I didn't have anything exotic like those bikes - just had a Suzuki 185 and then a Suzuki 250, but holy cow, those old two-strokes were amazing pieces of machinery - they really put the wind between your legs...., or something like that. :cool: 

13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I didn't have anything exotic like those bikes - just had a Suzuki 185 and then a Suzuki 250, but holy cow, those old two-strokes were amazing pieces of machinery - they really put the wind between your legs...., or something like that. :cool: 

Yes indeed. I also had a 750 Norton Commando for a while that packed quite the punch...:whistle:

I've only had a couple rice burners. Dirt bikes. Currently have a 1979 Yamaha XT-500 Induro when I feel like making some dust in the desert...

My first memory of getting a comic book was after a doctors visit (must have been 5 or 6 at the time).  I remember my dad and i stopping at the gas station and he let me pick out a couple books.  No idea what books they were but I remember being excited to be able to pick out something on my own.  Good memories.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Got hit by a car when I was 16. Was riding a 62 BSA Rocket Goldstar. Lady ran a red light and clipped my back wheel. Landed in the hospital with two broken legs, 1 arm, bruised ribs, a concussion and lots of skin off my hands and arms. Messed up pretty bad. Man, my dad was pizzed... I remember getting rock and roll magazines and a few Playboys but no comics. In traction was a little hard to read but I managed.

Guess I didn't learn anything because I bought a '68 Triumph when I got out. Hard to explain to non riders but there is just that thrill and feeling of freedom with a motorcycle. I have always had them. I currently own three. But, now I am WAY more cautious and careful.

after 10 years of riding motorcycles got hit by stop sign runner and ended up with plate in wrist.  never got on motorcycle again.  It all happened way too fast for human reflexes to do anything about.

A very cool thread with a lot of great memories conveyed. Gives me an idea. Bringing comics to older "kids" when once again Covid restrictions are lifted enough that visiting elder-care institutions is possible. Never thought about it before reading this thread. Maybe some would get a kick out of it and their spirits lifted. Definitely worth a try!

16 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

A very cool thread with a lot of great memories conveyed. Gives me an idea. Bringing comics to older "kids" when once again Covid restrictions are lifted enough that visiting elder-care institutions is possible. Never thought about it before reading this thread. Maybe some would get a kick out of it and their spirits lifted. Definitely worth a try!

Follow me for more recipes.