• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Immortal Hulk and other moderns
2 2

42 posts in this topic

I haven’t bought a modern comic in roughly 10-15 years. Just starting to gain some interest back in comics and the Immortal Hulk seems to be popular. Is it good and worth picking up? I will likely buy a trade first before spending money to pick up the more expensive ones but is it worth spending money on the trade?

Do you have any other recommendations for moderns? How is Spiderman, Batman, FF etc.....

2 hours ago, kidcolt said:

I haven’t bought a modern comic in roughly 10-15 years. Just starting to gain some interest back in comics and the Immortal Hulk seems to be popular. Is it good and worth picking up? I will likely buy a trade first before spending money to pick up the more expensive ones but is it worth spending money on the trade?

Do you have any other recommendations for moderns? How is Spiderman, Batman, FF etc.....

Immortal Hulk is a very good run at the moment.  Venom is another good one from Marvel.  Avengers has been up and down.  The new X-Men books that Hickman has started since the House of X and Powers of X have all been good in my opinion.  From DC, Detective Comics is always solid and the new run of Batman from Tynion is fire but also hard to jump into from a $ perspective.  There are also some good indies in there but its all niche and you will either like it or not like but all pretty solid.

It depends on what you like reading.  I haven't actually read a Marvel book in years as the quality seems to have fallen off a great deal with a focus on beautiful variant cover art instead of solid storytelling and writing.  I've moved towards Image instead for writing and storytelling of modern books.  Started Venom after hearing about how great Donny Cates writing was and I was very underwhelmed.  Interested to hear others thoughts on Immortal Hulk and other Marvel runs that could be worthwhile to read.

My shop has offered a money back guarantee on the first three volumes of Immortal Hulk since the first trade was released. I haven’t had a single customer bring one back. 

Other recent/current stuff we guarantee (though we obviously have a discussion with the customer about what sort of stories they like... I’m not going to forcefeed The Wire to someone who tells me their favorite things are Michael Bay movies):

Saga, A Walk Through Hell, Ice Cream Man, first two volumes of Chip Zdarsky’s current Daredevil run, Saga, first three volumes of Cates’ Venom run, Cates’ Thanos Wins run, Batman Rebirth Vol 4: War of Jokes and Riddles (which as a flashback story needs no other continuity connections), Saga... 

Yeah, Immortal Hulk is stellar. Also it’s a lot of reading but the X Men books have been good since House/Powers of X. I find the main XMen title and Marauders the most enjoyable, but all of the books are hits for the most part. Daredevil has also been great, probably Marvels dark horse for best ongoing of the last few years.

13 hours ago, kidcolt said:

I don't read much Marvel anymore but got the Immortal Hulk trade in a buy and read it and was hooked - please note that since I have not read a Marvel superhero book in years and years, I had to keep going back and looking up the Marvel wiki about what was going on with some of the supporting characters. That being said, it is a really good book and I would echo others in recommending it.

I hadn't picked up a Marvel book for a while but when Donny Cates took over Venom I thought I'd give it a go. It was and still is great. Absolute Carnage was good too. Immortal Hulk is another level though. Been a while since I awaited the next issue as much as this. Cates has taken over Thor now and has started strong. House and Powers of X by Hickman was great. The comics that have come of the back of them have been a bit hit and miss but X-Force always delivers for me.

I was one of the few who didn't mind Tom King's run on Batman but Tynion has turned it up a notch and it's back to being one of DC's best books again. I still love TEC. I also liked Doomsday Clock and Superman Up in The Sky.

I'd stay away from Superman and Action comics right now though. Bendis has turned that into absolute trash with his Leviathan nonsense nobody asked for. If you want a good modern recent Supes then I suggest reading the rebirth Action comics. That shows how Superman should be. Also the Rebirth Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp.

I really enjoyed the Spider-Verse story line. Spidey is best with his back against the wall. Plus, you get all those Spider-Verse Spider-Men/Women, many of which have a long future. 

Immortal Hulk started out strong, but has gone the New Marvel Way (spelled SJW) in this last arc. I'll save the rant. Still, the book is worth picking up for the action, mind-bending horror take on the Hulk(s), and the nostalgia. The last issue since the "break" had me reacting out loud and then trying to explain to my wife why I was cheering at a comic. 

The current Avengers series is fun. They've done a decent job of keeping a handful of arcs in the air all at once. Seems to be coming to a head soon. Can't wait!

Only Modern DC I'm reading is Young Justice. Moderately entertaining. Fast paced. 

I'm closet reading Legion of Super-heroes from Bendis, but I'm just biding my time until he leaves and real stories can take place again. What a wreck. 

On 4/30/2020 at 12:22 AM, Jitstark said:

I was one of the few who didn't mind Tom King's run on Batman but Tynion has turned it up a notch and it's back to being one of DC's best books again.

I dropped off after King's run ended because it seemed like a natural jumping off point.  Does this mean I need to go back and fill in some 15 odd issues just to get caught up.  >_<

10 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I dropped off after King's run ended because it seemed like a natural jumping off point.  Does this mean I need to go back and fill in some 15 odd issues just to get caught up.  >_<

I collect Batman regardless of who is writing. IMO things picked up around issue #77 which sold out then went to a second printing (prices range from $6 to $15 for 1st prints). Issues from #77 to #91 aren't that pricey except for a first print of #89 but there is a 2nd and 3rd printing(just released) of it to read to get caught up. #90 went to a second printing also because of a character called The Designer that had a cameo in #89 as well.

Batman's been so-so.

Feels a little too much like he's introducing something new every issue just to do so. 

On the flip side, it increases the potential of 1st appearances making some future dollars.  Kind of like that silly new Joker girlfriend. 

Patrick

On 5/3/2020 at 11:45 PM, ExNihilo said:

Nah. Once King left that was the end of that particular story arc on Batman. The rest of the arc will be picked up in a Batman/Catwoman spin off to complete their story.

After Tynion took over it's been back to pure action but as 'Followtheleader' said above, they are introducing new characters all the time. This is all build up to the Joker War which is the next big Batman arc.

2 hours ago, Jitstark said:

Nah. Once King left that was the end of that particular story arc on Batman. The rest of the arc will be picked up in a Batman/Catwoman spin off to complete their story.

After Tynion took over it's been back to pure action but as 'Followtheleader' said above, they are introducing new characters all the time. This is all build up to the Joker War which is the next big Batman arc.

There was a short span where I bought into the "new character" hype.  I bought up a few copies of Spider-Gwen #24 (or whatever the first Gwenom appearance was).  I bought a few copies of Action Comics #1000 because of that new villain.  I quickly learned that trying to get a read on what first appearances will take off and which won't is a fools errand and now i'm just back to collecting what I like to read.  Guess I'll just wait for King's Batman/Catwoman limited series to finally come out.  (it is a limited right?  not slated as an ongoing?)

23 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

There was a short span where I bought into the "new character" hype.  I bought up a few copies of Spider-Gwen #24 (or whatever the first Gwenom appearance was).  I bought a few copies of Action Comics #1000 because of that new villain.  I quickly learned that trying to get a read on what first appearances will take off and which won't is a fools errand and now i'm just back to collecting what I like to read.  Guess I'll just wait for King's Batman/Catwoman limited series to finally come out.  (it is a limited right?  not slated as an ongoing?)

King said it's limited so I'll take his word for it. Anything could happen though the way DC are right now.

I got quite a few of the Action Comics 1000 cover but that's because I love ACs and wanted to slab them. All that needs to happen with these new characters is for them to be taken on by a writer to do them justice (not Bendis) or a film/TV show to use them correctly. I brought Clone Wars 1-12 for about £45 quid from eBay just for the Ashoka Tano first appearance just before Xmas. A few months later I sold #1 on it's own for £220 because she's was being used well in the Clone Wars series and going to be in The Mandalorian season 2.

I think it's alright to get a copy of two of a first appearance for a big property like Star Wars , Batman, Superman, X-Men etc. I just wouldn't buy tons of them as they're likely to be long long term holds.