• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Immortal Hulk and other moderns
2 2

42 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Jitstark said:

Issue 25 was amazing. I'm interested to see how that ties into the whole Marvel universe going forward.

Same, I hope they do tie it to the whole marvel Universe going forward. 

Immortal Hulk. I couldnt pull myself past issue one it was so full of horror tropes. i have read subsequent issues after the continued hype and still couldnt make it to issue 10. im going to say something that will probably get me some replies, but in general, i feel like the people who really like the new series never read a hulk book before. al ewing is pretty mediocre like much of the marvel bullpin. The horror aspect is certainly new and different but the rest surrounding it is meh, to me. 

x-chise is hot again but the majority of their books are hot garbage. Ive pared back to X-Men and X-Force with the latter on the chopping block. Daredevil is solid with a capable writer but its not a DD book if the author isnt dragging Matt through the mud. I dont read anything else from marvel because they are the McDonalds of the comic industry. meaning they are fake, filler and ultimately garbage, imo.

I dont read much DC. Their Black Label stuff is top tier. The Last God is a great high fantasy book if you dig D&D type stories. I cant recommend anything else i am reading. Aquaman has Sue Deconnick writing it and has done a decent job its just so mundane in its execution. ill be glad when she is gone. Justice League was good but then Snyder left the book and Venditti took over then left after 4 issues or so to work on a dream project then the 'rona hit and not sure where its going now. Dont care about superman or batman. 

I highly recommend Die!Die!Die! (black comedy involving government cabals and spies), Monstress(fantasy), Once and Future (king arthur rises from the dead), Die (literal D&D with trauma), Dark Ark (noah wasnt the only survivor of the flood), Heist: How to steal a planet (self explanatory), Money Shot(T&A, but lots of heart) Robotech, Bladerunner, Red Sonja/Vampirella, BreakNeck (noir), Forever War (classic sci-fi book), Forever Free (follow up to Forever war), God Killers(atheist is introduced to military group that has to kill demigods), Walk Thru Hell (Garth Ennis) Relay.

Avoid Valiant at all cost to your wallet. they are going under and not worth your time or money.

Edited by NWOslave

Based on the rest of what you’re reading I would point you at Ice Cream Man. And for a recently ended series, Regression.

Sadly I have to echo the DC comments. The magazine sized Black Label stuff has been mostly solid. But even my most diehard DC subs are buying most of the superhero titles out of loyalty rather than excitement. And they’re all hoping Death Metal somehow re-energizes things. But it’s hope not confidence.

5 hours ago, NWOslave said:

im going to say something that will probably get me some replies, but in general, i feel like the people who really like the new series never read a hulk book before. al ewing is pretty mediocre like much of the marvel bullpin.

I would say someone who doesn't like Immortal Hulk has never read the first five issues of Hulk before. Al took the Hulk mythos all the way back to the genesis of the character. The man or a monster conundrum coupled with the fugitive on the run anti-hero aspects all went back into the writing. Now the arc has shifted to if Hulk is the monster what do call all the people/creatures who are worse than him? The resolve is the Marvel universe needs a Hulk on its side. Al Ewing was and is a nice addition to the Marvel Bullpen. But, hey, I respect the deference of anyone who actually reads the title.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:44 PM, lighthouse said:

Based on the rest of what you’re reading I would point you at Ice Cream Man. And for a recently ended series, Regression.

Sadly I have to echo the DC comments. The magazine sized Black Label stuff has been mostly solid. But even my most diehard DC subs are buying most of the superhero titles out of loyalty rather than excitement. And they’re all hoping Death Metal somehow re-energizes things. But it’s hope not confidence.

Read Ice Cream Man off the back of this. I really like it but I can see it's not for everyone. I'll check out Regression.

Totally agree with you on Death Metal. Still can't believe how bad DC have dropped the ball after the strong start of Rebirth.

1 minute ago, Jitstark said:

Read Ice Cream Man off the back of this. I really like it but I can see it's not for everyone. I'll check out Regression.

Totally agree with you on Death Metal. Still can't believe how bad DC have dropped the ball after the strong start of Rebirth.

Well and that's why I said "based on what else you're reading". We don't recommend A Walk Through Hell to everyone either, but we have yet to recommend it to someone and have them disappointed. It's either a flavor you like or it isn't.

To be honest I think DC's mistake was in making so many of the Rebirth titles twice a month. There's only so much storytelling capital available and it replenishes only at a certain rate. There's a big difference between "guy has a story for character ZZZ that he's been dying to tell for years" and "guy gets assigned the next 8 issues of character ZZZ as a work for hire". You can only milk a cow so often and get milk worth drinking.

19 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Well and that's why I said "based on what else you're reading". We don't recommend A Walk Through Hell to everyone either, but we have yet to recommend it to someone and have them disappointed. It's either a flavor you like or it isn't.

To be honest I think DC's mistake was in making so many of the Rebirth titles twice a month. There's only so much storytelling capital available and it replenishes only at a certain rate. There's a big difference between "guy has a story for character ZZZ that he's been dying to tell for years" and "guy gets assigned the next 8 issues of character ZZZ as a work for hire". You can only milk a cow so often and get milk worth drinking.

That's cool about Ice Cream Man. What I said wasn't a criticism in any way. Hope you didn't take it like that.

You're right about Rebirth having too many title but the core ones (TEC, Batman, Action, Superman, the Green Lantern comics, Flash and WW) all started off super strong. to see where Superman and Action comics has ended up is just sad.

Edited by Jitstark

On 5/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, kairos70 said:

I would say someone who doesn't like Immortal Hulk has never read the first five issues of Hulk before. Al took the Hulk mythos all the way back to the genesis of the character. The man or a monster conundrum coupled with the fugitive on the run anti-hero aspects all went back into the writing. Now the arc has shifted to if Hulk is the monster what do call all the people/creatures who are worse than him? The resolve is the Marvel universe needs a Hulk on its side. Al Ewing was and is a nice addition to the Marvel Bullpen. But, hey, I respect the deference of anyone who actually reads the title.

My collection of Incredible Hulk starts at 125. So I have a long history with the character and still think its MEH. i dont need to have read the first vol to validate my opinion of the book. i read up to the first ten of this book. its meh. end of story.  

Edited by NWOslave
clarification

1 hour ago, NWOslave said:

My collection of Incredible Hulk starts at 125. So I have a long history with the character and still think its MEH. i dont need to have read the first vol to validate my opinion of the book. i read up to the first ten of this book. its meh. end of story.  

Meh to you. Your opinion. Ok,so why would you state the people that do like it must not have read a hulk book before? It doesn't matter if they read Hulk before. If they like Immortal Hulk then that's all that matters.

8 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

Meh to you. Your opinion. Ok,so why would you state the people that do like it must not have read a hulk book before? It doesn't matter if they read Hulk before. If they like Immortal Hulk then that's all that matters.

did i really need to state explicitly that i was speaking for myself? shouldnt that have been obvious?  there is a reason why i used the phrase "i feel like" instead of "i know for a fact" or "i surveyed every single reader of Immortal Hulk to make this statement". the reason for that is because outside this place, the general population of other forums i visit give the impression that very few have ever read a hulk book prior to this one. or at the very least anything older than all new marvel/marvel now, marvel now now. im sure there are some long time hulk fans that are reading it im not discounting them at all but by and large it FEELS like very few have read anything before. 

you like it? fine have at it dont take it personal like i just kicked your dog. 

I thought the 1st 7 issues of Immortal were so-so.  

But I've really enjoyed the issues after.  It definitely feels like a cohesive story whereas it felt like a number of one-offs before that. 

He's done a great job tying back to early plotlines.  Also enjoy that he's made past villians relevant again.  

Still not so sure I like Betty/Harpy.  I like Harpy, just wish it was a different character than Betty. 

Patrick

On 5/12/2020 at 1:16 PM, NWOslave said:

did i really need to state explicitly that i was speaking for myself? shouldnt that have been obvious?  there is a reason why i used the phrase "i feel like" instead of "i know for a fact" or "i surveyed every single reader of Immortal Hulk to make this statement". the reason for that is because outside this place, the general population of other forums i visit give the impression that very few have ever read a hulk book prior to this one. or at the very least anything older than all new marvel/marvel now, marvel now now. im sure there are some long time hulk fans that are reading it im not discounting them at all but by and large it FEELS like very few have read anything before. 

you like it? fine have at it dont take it personal like i just kicked your dog. 

No dog in this fight. If you don't like the title then fine. Just no need for you to question the intelligence of those who do.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:06 AM, bparent said:

Immortal Hulk is a very good run at the moment.  Venom is another good one from Marvel.  Avengers has been up and down.  The new X-Men books that Hickman has started since the House of X and Powers of X have all been good in my opinion.  From DC, Detective Comics is always solid and the new run of Batman from Tynion is fire but also hard to jump into from a $ perspective.  There are also some good indies in there but its all niche and you will either like it or not like but all pretty solid.

I haven’t read an X-Men comic in years. How much background do I need for House/Power of X?

9 hours ago, piper said:

I haven’t read an X-Men comic in years. How much background do I need for House/Power of X?

Your experience will be richer if you have history with the characters. But you don’t need to know ANYTHING about what has happened in X-Men comics over the last 20 years. If you would at least recognize the characters who have been famous enough to appear in X-Men movies, you’re plenty prepared. 

I give Hickman a lot of credit for writing the story in such a way that you don’t have to be current at all to jump in (but still have some little nods to more recent events for those who were).

Okay so I have finished reading all the immortal hulk I own which is up to the last release, 32.

I can say I liked everything up to 24 quite a lot, then not much of it after that. I can tell something big should be happening and I know that the guy in issue 2 is coming back as I saw the solicitation for it, so maybe that will be more exciting.

1 hour ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Okay so I have finished reading all the immortal hulk I own which is up to the last release, 32.

I can say I liked everything up to 24 quite a lot, then not much of it after that. I can tell something big should be happening and I know that the guy in issue 2 is coming back as I saw the solicitation for it, so maybe that will be more exciting.

I read the first five or six trades and am starting to get bored. I hope it picks up again.

30 minutes ago, piper said:

I read the first five or six trades and am starting to get bored. I hope it picks up again.

The last page of 32 made it seem like something cool should happen shortly...hopefully 

On 5/6/2020 at 1:42 PM, Jitstark said:

I brought Clone Wars 1-12 for about £45 quid from eBay just for the Ashoka Tano first appearance just before Xmas. A few months later I sold #1 on it's own for £220 because she's was being used well in the Clone Wars series and going to be in The Mandalorian season 2.

I just finished The Clone Wars and I really regret not watching earlier and having an opportunity to get her 1st appearance on the cheap.  Ahsoka's story from season 1 thru 7 is absolutely amazing.

21 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I just finished The Clone Wars and I really regret not watching earlier and having an opportunity to get her 1st appearance on the cheap.  Ahsoka's story from season 1 thru 7 is absolutely amazing.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with her. Her progression has been one of the strongest in the whole Star Wars Universe. She's a hugely underrated character.