• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Batman "Rogue's Gallery" art?
2 2

77 posts in this topic

The fact that long time collectors and a very very long term dealer on this thread are all coming to the same conclusion - rapidly - should be telling you something.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know if that's on Netflix?  Or maybe I can watch it on youtube.

Dont worry what some others want to say. Definitely do some research and see if you can get more info on the stamped books you got. Some people who just come on here and crush the notion that what you got is nothing are people who are usually jealous because you might have something special that they dont. Someone just looking at Ebay photos and making conclusions is not an expert.

Get some real experts to help. Good luck man. And I hope they are real and you can be happy.

2 minutes ago, Macedoniagreece said:

Dont worry what some others want to say. Definitely do some research and see if you can get more info on the stamped books you got. Some people who just come on here and crush the notion that what you got is nothing are people who are usually jealous because you might have something special that they dont. Someone just looking at Ebay photos and making conclusions is not an expert.

Get some real experts to help. Good luck man. And I hope they are real and you can be happy.

Cool.   Maybe he can get a certificate of authenticity from Richard Rae.    That should clear things right up. 

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

The fact that long time collectors and a very very long term dealer on this thread are all coming to the same conclusion - rapidly - should be telling you something.

Umm I've been collecting for over 30 years too. Including Golden age. And I have a few rare things in my collection.

20 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Cool.   Maybe he can get a certificate of authenticity from Richard Rae.    That should clear things right up. 

The main thing is, an expert has to see these in hand before a conclusion can be made. Very simple. 

And if your right. Good call. 

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know if that's on Netflix?  Or maybe I can watch it on youtube.

HULU......they offer a free trial if you don’t already have it. It was an excellent (sad) documentary that every comic and art fan should watch.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:12 AM, vodou said:

Any actual 'period' documentation to back up any/all of that story?

If not...the 'great story' is worthless.

Actually this 'great story' is a negative because it indicates a bias toward prevarication on the seller's part, which is likely not contained to only that part of the listing ;)

Great point but when you used the word prevarication you lost 90% of the board

lol

2 hours ago, Macedoniagreece said:

That logic is bull c.r.a.p.
No one is jealous because it's not special. Who would get jealous over some kid who traced supposed Kane drawings from the comic book with bad hand lettering, and made faux cards.
I don't collect comic art, but i've been a comic art dealer for 44 years, and have seen waaaaaaaaayyyyy more art than you will ever see in your lifetime.
I  also don't need to see the actual cards to know they are the work of an amateur and not ever intended for publication or a "prototype".
No matter how much you wish they were authentic or how many times you click your ruby red slippers together, they will NEVER be authentic.
Live the dream, my son.

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

No one is jealous because it's not special. Who would get jealous over some kid who traced supposed Kane drawings from the comic book with bad hand lettering, and made faux cards.
I don't collect comic art, but i've been a comic art dealer for 44 years, and have seen waaaaaaaaayyyyy more art than you will ever see in your lifetime.
I  also don't need to see the actual cards to know they are the work of an amateur and not ever intended for publication or a "prototype".
No matter how much you wish they were authentic or how many times you click your ruby red slippers together, they will NEVER be authentic.
Live the dream, my son.

Oh wow. Now you verified it's a "kid" who did it. Amazing conclusion. Who is this magical kid who knew all these 91 villains off the top of his head? I'd like to meet him

:whistle:

I really dont care if they are or arent authentic. Makes no difference in my life.  I just doubt, (as well as some others) that looking at a picture online that anyone can be so sure. Now if it was in hand and actually did look it over and told me that , then I would probably think otherwise. 

And sorry, people are always jealous. Every time someone posts that they have 3 or 4 Detective comic 27s , there are others who wish it was them having those books. Human nature.

Edited by Macedoniagreece

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

Live the dream, my son.

And by the way. Nothing personal. I would question anyone if they said they were 100% about anything just by looking at a pic online. 

7 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Anyone have the eBay link to any of these cards?  I'm not finding them :mad:

Check out the seller's closed auctions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313061757214

Firstly, can it be proven  that they are vintage?  That is my main concern.  

I'm not jealous, but am more concerned that a dealer will pass them off as Bob Kane sketches - without any proof.  Its a shame that Shelly Moldoff or Lew Schwartz aren't around to chime in.

Assuming they are old, the set is such an oddity, to me it makes the most sense that someone at DC created them (as, who else would have had access to all the comics?) as a reference for Finger or other writers/artists.  So they could reuse characters, or not unintentionally repeat names. 

my 2c.  take it for what it's worth.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

1 hour ago, Macedoniagreece said:

Oh wow. Now you verified it's a "kid" who did it. Amazing conclusion. Who is this magical kid who knew all these 91 villains off the top of his head? I'd like to meet him

:whistle:

I really dont care if they are or arent authentic. Makes no difference in my life.  I just doubt, (as well as some others) that looking at a picture online that anyone can be so sure. Now if it was in hand and actually did look it over and told me that , then I would probably think otherwise. 

And sorry, people are always jealous. Every time someone posts that they have 3 or 4 Detective comic 27s , there are others who wish it was them having those books. Human nature.

The kid swiped the images from comic books. Obviously you don't have the capacity to have figured that out.

1 minute ago, artdealer said:

The kid swiped the images from comic books. Obviously you don't have the capacity to have figured that out.

And a "kid" was able to get a hold of every title Batman was in  and was able to pinpoint every minor Bat villain that existed and make cards out of them. You dont have the capacity to figure that one out either. Wow , like I said I wasnt making this personal but you are going down that road.

Just now, Macedoniagreece said:

And a "kid" was able to get a hold of every title Batman was in  and was able to pinpoint every minor Bat villain that existed and make cards out of them. You dont have the capacity to figure that one out either. Wow , like I said I wasnt making this personal but you are going down that road.

Nope, not at all.