Comic Books and Juvenile Delinquency Senate report, anti-comics items
1 1

7 posts in this topic

1,289 posts
Posted (edited)

I collect anything and everything related to the anti-comics hysteria of the 1940’s and 1950’s.

I’m specifically looking for the 1955 US Senate report “Comic Books and Juvenile Delinquency.”  Do you have one that you’d be willing to part with?  Let’s talk!

Of course, I’m also looking for anything else I don’t already have.  New York Legislature report on comics?  Hit me up.  Anti-comics article?  Let’s talk.  Pro-comics pamphlet in response to Wertham’s criticism?  Yes, please.

I pay well for the items I need.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve

Here are some things I have.  What do you have that I can add to this photo?

PS.  Another boardie is looking for that George Pumphrey pamphlet, "Comics and Your Children," pictured below.  If you have one, LMK and I can put you in touch.

E4F203A1-4373-4F2C-B2DE-B3ED62A304B2.thumb.jpeg.c0e8758621caf9e33d28bca0af0df198.jpeg

Edited by SOTIcollector
addition

3,434 posts

hey Stephen !

Hope all is well !!!!

1,289 posts
1 hour ago, Fantastic Thor said:

hey Stephen !

Hope all is well !!!!

Thanks, Thor.  All is great here, all things considered.  I hope everything is good with you as well.  Another boardie asked me who else might be interested in SOTI items.  I hope you don't mind I passed your username along. :)

396 posts

Some cool stuff in that collection good luck on the hunt!!!

3,434 posts
1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:

Thanks, Thor.  All is great here, all things considered.  I hope everything is good with you as well.  Another boardie asked me who else might be interested in SOTI items.  I hope you don't mind I passed your username along. :)

Hey man ..

Always like a good soti chat ..

Showing off you phantom lady hey ? ;)

And hey .. I will always take a lead from the GOAT 

900 posts
Posted (edited)

This may be something that catches your eye... In 1955, the British Parliament basically "re-enacted" the SoTI hearings and passed the Harmful Publications Act. Historian Martin Barker wrote a book about the period in 1984, which - like SoTI - is heavily illustrated with the specific examples that Parliament examined. The book also contains references to Wertham and the SoTI period in the U.S.

This is first edition of the paperback, and I don't believe there was a preceding hardcover.

Let me know if it's of interest!

Huabt.jpg

Edited by Brock