• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOW RARE IS THIS JLA COMIC??? VALUE/GRADE?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have a Justice League of America (1960 1st series) #179 Whitman Variant comic that I cannot seem to find any information on whatsoever. I was hoping someone could help me estimate the value of this item. My guess is that it would achieve around an 6.5-8.0 grade (or more) but what do i know. Last one I found for sale was a 5.0 for $2300 USD on ebay. Please let if you know if you can offer expertise on this comic as I am inclined to know more about it!

Screenshot 2020-04-28 23.29.18.png

Edited by CaddysComicCollection

On 4/29/2020 at 4:00 PM, CaddysComicCollection said:

I have a Justice League of America (1960 1st series) #179 Whitman Variant comic that I cannot seem to find any information on whatsoever. I was hoping someone could help me estimate the value of this item. My guess is that it would achieve around an 6.5-8.0 grade (or more) but what do i know. Last one I found for sale was a 5.0 for $2300 USD on ebay. Please let if you know if you can offer expertise on this comic as I am inclined to know more about it!

Screenshot 2020-04-28 23.29.18.png

It's rare, and it's valuable.  It's a DC Whitman variant.  Not $2K+ valuable like that ridiculous ebay listing.  But $100+ is not out of the question.   I'll PP you the $10 comicbookrealm price if you want to sell!  :foryou: 

On 5/5/2020 at 9:10 AM, bellrules said:

A CGC 7.5 sold in 2015 sold for 199. A 9.8 sold for 405. The copy in the pic attached sold for 350 in 2018. Based on that, I’d put you in the 100-150 range

68CAD0D8-FE0F-46B4-830E-4784D798E05C.jpeg

On 4/30/2020 at 4:28 PM, Warlord said:

It's rare, and it's valuable.  It's a DC Whitman variant.  Not $2K+ valuable like that ridiculous ebay listing.  But $100+ is not out of the question.   I'll PP you the $10 comicbookrealm price if you want to sell!  :foryou: 

$10 for $100 comic...hmmm. I think I would like to get it graded first!

42 minutes ago, CaddysComicCollection said:

$10 for $100 comic...hmmm. I think I would like to get it graded first!

I’m not saying you should sell if for $10, but you should do some grading internal math first about cost of shipping both ways plus invoice fee plus grading fee plus insurance.  Plus opportunity cost of tying up your money.  

You might put $40 into grading it and tie up your money for 4 months to sell it for $120.  You risk damage or a bad grade.  But it’s a pretty nice return on investment.

or you might be able to sell it now for $50-$60 without putting any more money in.

the answer might also depend on how you think the economy or comic market might change from TIL later.  We all have our own preferences accounting for risk and financial situations.

also, the data points are very few, which makes it rare yes, but also hard to establish a market.