• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern 76 Appreciation Club
2 2

38 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, justin said:

It blows my mind how the prices on this book keep tumbling, especially for the 4.0-8.0 CGC range.

I'm into it. Maybe I can get a good price on an upgrade. Wouldn't mind a 9.0 to replace my 7.5. What did everyone call the massive value spike on HOS 92 and Bats 251? A "market correction"? Guess it works both ways.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, EC Star&Bar said:

You may have heard something to this effect before, but Neal Adams had some comments related to why the series was cancelled.  This may not be accurate, but still interesting. He claims that for some "art" issues like his and Steranko's (X-Men, SHIELD) around that time, distributors were selling cases to speculators of sorts, in unethical transactions.  Since fewer copies were reaching newsstands, sales were not registering as they should have -- so the lower sales numbers doomed the series.

I have to question how that type of activity would've affected accounting -- I mean how would those transactions affect the reported "unsold," did the case copies get reported as such?

That's a good question. They wouldn't be counted as returns,right? As far as DC was concerned, they would have been sold copies. Accounting would have been asking "Why don't the amount of returns equal the amount printed and distributed v the actual sold copies?" Maybe Adams was hoarding them.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:52 PM, Terry JSA said:

I remember this being my first big comic purchase back in 2019. I was 17 and spent $175.

F48B7108-E996-4A82-AFE9-84E26A0401D8.jpeg

It was one of my 1st purchases as well, but I a bit earlier like 2016-17

I'm surprised you kept it raw, is that by preference?

Either way i love the greens!  :x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/27/2022 at 9:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It was one of my 1st purchases as well, but I a bit earlier like 2016-17

I'm surprised you kept it raw, is that by preference?

Either way i love the greens!  :x

I just haven’t gotten around to getting it graded.. yet. 

Either way, that book will always be a personal favorite of mine. :x

On 4/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I bought this early on when I got back into collecting. @oakman29 and @kav kind of raved about it, so I had to get a copy, they too get a shout out in my registry description with my copy :) 

I should probably bother to take a better pic, but I'm ok for now :foryou: 

GetImage.aspx?c=3204763&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=NC8zMC8yMDIwIDExOjUwOjUyIEFNGetImage.aspx?c=3204763&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=NC8zMC8yMDIwIDExOjUwOjUyIEFN

That's so nice, thank you for the kudos.

Great book too!

On 8/27/2020 at 2:04 AM, Gotham Kid said:

GL76 has hit rock bottom. I recall when 9.4s would sell for 10K easy and 9.6s sold for like 30K several years back...

Last night a 9.6 sold for under $7400 on ComicLink

00011701696000112120217005.jpg

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1421192

I'm wondering if the market slowing down?

On 6/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, littledoom said:

If anything it should have picked back up again w Neal Adam's passing and the upcoming HBO Max GL series

Makes sense but there are less discretionary funds available nowadays 

On 6/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, littledoom said:

If anything it should have picked back up again w Neal Adam's passing and the upcoming HBO Max GL series

Actually, Showcase 22 will pick up. GL 76 is a “collector’s book.” This book has historical significance and the reason why I love it in addition to Adams and O’Neal. Speculation will follow Hal’s first appearance followed by the Guardians and Sinestro first appearances.