• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone bought from ComicLink before?

23 posts in this topic

I recently won an auction for Fantastic Four 52 last Wednesday and have yet to receive shipping information. Getting a little antsy if i’m being honest since it’s a little bit more on the pricey side. Isn’t the first time i’ve bought stuff from their site but every other book i’ve bought was shipped 1-2 days later.

I understand the turnaround is said to be allowed 2 weeks after the book was bought to request shipping information from them directly so i wanted to see if anyone else has had to wait a little longer? 

Edited by ADMARA

I won some items on CLINK Monday and called to arrange payment on Tues morning.  In these times their physically present "shipping dept" is very small perhaps even 1 person. I was told they will ship FIFO based on time of payment. Seems fair and patience is key.

I've dealt with them for about 15 years personally never had any issue and as auction houses go they are my preferred. Of course that is mostly due to no buyers Vig !

Edited by MAR1979

I have bought several issues from ComicLink. One reason for a possible delay is that ComicLink does not have all books on the premises; that's what they told me, anyway. If this is the case, you have to wait for the owner to ship the book to CL, wait for a (probably) under-staffed shipping department, and then wait for delivery. If you don't have the book within two weeks, I would not stress about it. After two weeks, though, ....

7 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I have bought several issues from ComicLink. One reason for a possible delay is that ComicLink does not have all books on the premises; that's what they told me, anyway. If this is the case, you have to wait for the owner to ship the book to CL, wait for a (probably) under-staffed shipping department, and then wait for delivery. If you don't have the book within two weeks, I would not stress about it. After two weeks, though, ....

As someone who's both bought and sold on ComicLink before, this is correct.

As a seller, if I have the book in my possession I first need to ship it to ComicLink, and they then repackage it and ship it to the buyer.

I'm very familiar with how ComicLink works. For ComicLink Auctions the seller 100% of the time has to ship the item to ComicLink prior to the start of the auction. ComicLink scans each cover and attaches a description to the comic. It is only on the ComicLink Exchange that the seller has the option to keep the book in their possession until a price is agreed to between a buyer and a seller. The seller then ships the book to ComicLink, who then validates the item and ships it to the buyer. Sellers on the Exchange also have the option to send the book to ComicLink for storage prior to its sale on the Exchange. 

Under normal circumstances ComicLink alllows auction sellers to drop off their comics at one of several major conventions where the firm has a booth every year. Obviously that is not an option right now. Sellers can also drop off their items in person at ComicLink's main office in Portland, Maine or its other office in Hoboken, New Jersey. If you plan to do this you need to contact the firm first and verify that this is an option during the pandemic.

Regarding timing to receive auction wins, the firm has to ship out thousands of comic books at the end of each auction so it sometimes takes a bit of time to get every item shipped out. There is no need to be nervous as you are 100% guaranteed that your auction win will be sent to you once you've paid for it. 

13 hours ago, MAR1979 said:

I've dealt with them for about 15 years personally never had any issue and as auction houses go they are my preferred. Of course that is mostly due to no buyers Vig !

Don't most of the comic book auction houses,with the notable exception of Heritage, have no BP juice added when you win a book?  hm

I know for sure that ComicConnect doesn't have a Buyer's Premium, although I do believe CL tacks on an additional 3% charge to the buyer if they use a credit card to make payment.  If you use a credit card for a CC winning (max is up to $2,500), the 3% credit card fee is charged to the consignor of the book, and not to the buyer.  (thumbsu

Items I won on Monday shipped yesterday. I do know they had all mine in their possession from my phone convo on Tues, which means faster than Heritage to ship in this case.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:38 AM, lou_fine said:

Don't most of the comic book auction houses,with the notable exception of Heritage, have no BP juice added when you win a book?  hm

I know for sure that ComicConnect doesn't have a Buyer's Premium, although I do believe CL tacks on an additional 3% charge to the buyer if they use a credit card to make payment.  If you use a credit card for a CC winning (max is up to $2,500), the 3% credit card fee is charged to the consignor of the book, and not to the buyer.  (thumbsu

You are correct regarding ComicConnect . I'm used to trading cards where almost every Auction house charge additional 15-20% premium.  I believe the Comiclink 3% fee applies only if payment not received in 7 days.

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/30/2020 at 3:58 PM, The Lions Den said:

I've never had a problem with them. I do anticipate the process being slowed down due to the dreaded virus...I'm beginning to develop a strong dislike for that little  :censored:

#ThanosWasRight

I've dealt with Comiclink many times before without any problems.  They'll work with you too as far as payment and shipping goes.  I'm doing the PP dance everytime I see an auction coming up.  Woo Hoo!

Edited by frisbee

On 5/1/2020 at 6:12 AM, Stevemmg said:

Generally speaking, the big auction houses take 2-5 weeks before they ship in my experience. Speed is not their strongest asset. Comiclink and Comicconnect tend to be the slowest. 

I'm curious what the benefit of these venues are if it takes roughly 2-5 weeks to get your books. If you have to pay origin based sales tax and shipping fees on top of your winning bid what is the benefit over eBay?

Is is better inventory? More user friendly auction house?

I'm also interested from a seller's perspective as well because I believe most of them take a 10% cut just like eBay but you have to pay to ship your books there and wait for them to inventory and list them from what I have read.

What do you see as the strengths to buyers and sellers?

5 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

How quick are they with seller getting their money? I sold with them for the first time in April (auction ended the 24th). I know it states 30 days but is it really 30 days?

You should get paid by the end of this month.

22 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I'm curious what the benefit of these venues are if it takes roughly 2-5 weeks to get your books. If you have to pay origin based sales tax and shipping fees on top of your winning bid what is the benefit over eBay?

Is is better inventory? More user friendly auction house?

I'm also interested from a seller's perspective as well because I believe most of them take a 10% cut just like eBay but you have to pay to ship your books there and wait for them to inventory and list them from what I have read.

What do you see as the strengths to buyers and sellers?

ebay is a joke. i never shop there. for comparison, i spent 5 figures last year buying from both comiclink and heritage. great selection of stuff and i know who's shipping to me too. they know how to ship books. when selling books or art, heritage is nice because they tell you when you'll be paid and it's exactly right. about one month after sale close. i think many of your bigger buyers favor the auction sites over ebay hands down. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:36 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

ebay is a joke. i never shop there. for comparison, i spent 5 figures last year buying from both comiclink and heritage. great selection of stuff and i know who's shipping to me too. they know how to ship books. when selling books or art, heritage is nice because they tell you when you'll be paid and it's exactly right. about one month after sale close. i think many of your bigger buyers favor the auction sites over ebay hands down. 

A big thing about Ebay for me is that a lot of sellers on there will price it wayyyy over market value. I understand everyone wants to make a profit on their things but it’s a little ridiculous.