• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Marvel Team-Up #1 a key?
4 4

151 posts in this topic

If this topic has been discussed before I apologize.  I'm trying to purchase a high grade example for my personal collection and noticed that it's hard to aquire in high grade because of the heavy black border.  As of April 30 there are only 15 copies graded above a 9.4

I'm curious on the boards opinion if this comic would be considered a key?  Recently I posted in the WTB forum for this issue and before I did I can't remember that last time I heard or read of anyone interested in it.

Edited by raybowles

4 minutes ago, raybowles said:

If this topic has been discussed before I apologize.  I'm trying to purchase a high grade example for my personal collection and noticed that it's hard to aquire in high grade because of the heavy black border.  As of April 30 there are only 15 copies graded above a 9.4

I'm curious on the boards opinion if this comic would be considered a key?  Recently I posted in the WTB forum for this issue and before I did I can't remember that last time I heard or read of anyone interested in it.

Well it IS a Picture Frame book, so it's probably been collected at some point. How long? Idk

But here is a pinned thread at the top of the bronze age forum

I haven't seen it that often, but hope that helps...!

I appreciate the comments folks. This is one of the few Marvel comics that I have never owned. In fact I can't remember ever seeing it for sale. I'm sure it was but I never noticed it. 

IMO it's not a key for the reasons some of you listed and probably will not go up much in value but for some reason I really want to obtain a high grade copy (9.4 or 9.6) for my personal collection. I love the cover. 

1 hour ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

I think at best I'd consider it a bronze minor key (as was mentioned above).  I always wondered how the team-up stories might translate to the small screen, as a seasonal 5-8 episode series ... hm

I was thinking the same and that it might make a good Disney+ Series....

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 hour ago, scooter99 said:

IMO, minor key.  But being a black cover picture frame, it is tough to find truly high grade copies.  Find a copy with nice registration is difficult as well.  I bought my copy the first hour or two when Bob Storms posted this on his website quite a few years ago.  Absolutely love it. 

MTU1Mine.thumb.jpg.92839b0f7d3c4de3a05cbd44216e1f36.jpg

That's a beautiful copy.  Are you surprised it did not receive a 9.4?

1 minute ago, raybowles said:

That's a beautiful copy.  Are you surprised it did not receive a 9.4?

I didn't submit it myself.  Bought from Bob Storms.  It looked slightly undergraded, great centering and had white pages.  Trifecta fun. 

I do't know about it  being the second Spidey book as the original plan was to rotate the Human Torch in as the main character every four issues or so. 

I've long had it on my Top 100 BA Marvels, and the black cover makes it hard to find in HG. It used to be Top 25 but other books have eclipsed it.  If Disney gives us a Spidey/Torch movie, I'm sure it will pop.

25 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I do't know about it  being the second Spidey book as the original plan was to rotate the Human Torch in as the main character every four issues or so. 

Hard not to think of it as the second Spidey title, when Spider-Man headlined 146 of 157 issues.

And when it was cancelled, it was replaced by Web of Spider-Man.

Marvel Team-Up lasted longer and had more issues published than both Web of and McFarlane's 1990 Spider-Man book.

25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Hard not to think of it as the second Spidey title, when Spider-Man headlined 146 of 157 issues.

And when it was cancelled, it was replaced by Web of Spider-Man.

Marvel Team-Up lasted longer and had more issues published than both Web of and McFarlane's 1990 Spider-Man book.

I've never thought of it as the second Spider-man title, and the reason why Peter Parker was so heavily bought was because it was the second Spider-Man title. I'd have to check MCS but I think the Human Torch rotation lasted about two years. Somebody was pushing Johnny Storm back then as they were reprinting his Strange Tales stories as well. It must have confused newbies as he had a red uniform in the Fantastic Four, a blue one in the FF stories being reprinted in MGCs, an adult HT in Marvel Team-Up, and a teenage one in The Human Torch.

Edit- I looked it up and the Human Torch was in 10 of the first 35 issues, so while it became a Spider-Man book three years into it's existence, it wasn't one at the start. It was more like Marvels version of World's Finest evolved into Brave and the Bold.

Edited by shadroch